Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

daily/habitual smokers- do you cough up black/grey stuff?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by drewzilla, Apr 12, 2009.

1. #1 drewzilla, Apr 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2009
    some of my friends have been telling me to go to the doctor for a while because i cough up black/dark gray shit after smoking and sometimes thru the day, especially first thing in the morning or after a couple bong rips.

so anyway, i always figured it was like ash/resin from smoking but everyone is saying they don't cough shit up like that. my roommate smokes just as much as me, and even smoked a bit longer and he doesn't get it. should i go see a doc or is this common?

please do not take this as a thread seeking medical advice. i have many years experience working in healthcare and hold a number of doh/dot certifications. i am simply trying to find out how common this is. the internet is not the place to look for medical advice, if you have a problem see a doctor.

2. Well when I started coughing up stuff I went to the doctor
    and it turned out that I was sick with Bronchitis. I'd go.
    There's not really much to loose out of a visit.

3. I've been smoking daily for a while now and I've never coughed up anything like that.

4. Nope, never have, that shit sounds pretty disgusting.

5. #5 MajorStoner, Apr 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
    I have done, do, and probably will, occassionally. Sometimes it gets worse if I've been smoking more blunts/chronic/pieces vs usual, which right now is maybe 1-2 times a week, and lately my diet has been about 3-5 grams a day of high mids.

Though I can say lately it hasn't been bad at all and I smoke 90%+ water pieces.

Edit: Oh, and my buddies do A LOT, but they all smoke cigs as well (I smoke like a pack a month).

6. Sometimes I cough stuff up, but it's never grey, black, or any other kind of terrible color, and it usually only happens the day after smoking.

7. Last year I went through this phase of buying a 1/2 oz-1 oz of regs every other day and would be high all day just chain smoking bowls of regs. I got smokers cough and coughed up black shit.

My theory is that the bowl I was hitting was so res'd out I was getting a bunch of res in my lungs when I hit it. That or the regs were dirty as fuck and I was coughing that shit out.

Now I clean my pieces and smoke mainly just beasters and above and the problem has not come back. I don't smoke as much as I did but still smoke daily and don't have a cough or cough up black shit.

8. if i do cough, its usually just normal phlegm...

9. #9 lwien, Apr 13, 2009
    Get a fucking vaporizer.............NOW !!!

Without your health, you have nothing.

And being that you have many years experience working in healthcare, what in the hell are you doing smoking all those blunts? 5 to 10 blunts a day? Fuck !!

Man, it's one thing when someone is ignorant of the facts. But for someone to know the facts and choose to ignore them ESPECIALLY with the on-going symptoms you have, is purely idiotic.

If you choose to continue to put a known lung irritant (THC) into your lungs, get rid of the smoke and go vapor. But hell, you have all those certifications, so you should know this, right?

Unfucking believable..........

10. i don't smoke cigs but many days i'll smoke 5-10 blunts, some days i'll only smoke glass though

11. I smoke everyday and cough a lot but thats cause I'm prone to congestion and mucus easily... I've never coughed up black... definitely get that checked out!

12. I smoke daily but I never cough up any shit like that, I think the only time I got a 'smokers cough' it turned out to be broncitis, during which I only vaporized for a few weeks. Also I rarely smoke tobacco(blunts). I would go see a doctor, it definatly couldn't hurt.

13. do you smoke mostly regs or dank? because all i smoke is dank ive been doin it for the past 3-4 years never had this. then i have a friend that all he smokes is regs mainly blunts too. he told me this has happened to him a couple times.

14. I see a lot of people go through this...myself included. There's not much more i can really say about it. It comes down to many years of puffing.

15. When I smoke ALOT (at least a dub a day for a couple weeks at least), I will cough up nasty shit, but as soon as I stop smoking so much it all goes away. ALL of the other people I regularly smoke with have the same problem, which means we are either giving eachother viruses or it has something to do with smoking so much weed... I am pretty sure it's not cancer though.

16. #16 SlushPuppie, Apr 13, 2009
    I do it pretty much daily and while smoking, Its worst in the morning and sometimes like after I eat lunch too.Mostly like greyish shit in with normal colorled phlegm. Idk, I'm not worried about it because it doesnt really interfere with anything and isnt really like terrible.

17. thats probably tar from inside your veins. i would consider seeing a doctor because if you let it go without doing anything, i dont what the name of it is but it could lead to heart disease

18. Dude this is normal as hell. I usually smoke cigs only after I smoke weed and I've always attributed the gray shit to the cigs. But either way, it's never hurt me. Especially if you're coughing it up in the morning (after your lungs have regened over the night) or after you rip a bong (agitation of your lungs makes you cough it up). Normal shit man, normal shit.

If I'm lyin', we're both dyin'.

~Kroovy

19. #19 PennLaxPlayer, Apr 13, 2009
    I smoked weed two years before I started smoking ciggarettes. When I smoked only weed, there was no brown phlem being caughed up. Now that I smoke ciggarettes, I'll cough up some every morning.

Either you're smoking ciggarettes, way too much weed(I smoked about a cut a day back before ciggarettes and till this day), or maybe blunts or joints are doing it. Or you could have a medical issue.

Edit: I think the gunk is the radioactive tar that groups up iny ou're lungs. Then since I'm sleeping(And thus not smoking for 8-12 hours.) my body tries to heal itself by getting that gunk loose(Like what happens after people quit, but on a smaller scale.)

20. I'd cut back on blunts if you're doing that a lot. If you don't smoke cigs inhaling that much tobacco (and other shit in leaves) will seriously irritate your lungs. Since I quit smoking (when they become FSC) I've found blunts much harsher.