Best Nutrients from local stores like Lowes/Home Depot

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Diamonddss, Apr 10, 2009.

1. What are some of the best nutrients that can be bought in local shops but not shops considered "grow shops". Also soil. Too expensive to have soil shipped so which products work best for indoor. Of couse its opinion but id be interested to see what some say. My state is not sa friendly state at all and "grow shops" are believed to be watched.
    Of course this is all hypothetical! As i only want fat tomatos but i fear being harassed for buying items that can be used for other purposes.

2. I'll let you know on my next grow. I want to do a test run with the 'best' products I can find from Lowes. I'm curious myself, and I'm certain that within that massive garden department I can find very good products, especially now that the growing season is upon us.

3. With soil I always use MG nutes and cut the dosage down by 1/4 and gradually increase during flowering, use green box for veg, bloom for bloom, both are available at even a dollar store for a few bucks. just use sparingly since it is super concentrated.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lets hear some more input on this

5. Good old paranoia, alive and well. I'm certain there is a massive team to investigate every 18 year old with a bloody sprout in his closet, growing under a cfl. I've been to a hundred grow shoppes and have never had a problem. But I also have 6 large flower gardens, and a huge vegetable garden every summer, I have every right to be there.
    I want to do a test grow because grow shoppes are pissing me off with their prices. $20 for a small bag of soil! Please! $75-100 in nutrients! I know a bit about plants, and I feel burned when I leave. There are many products out there that aren't produced by Scott's/Monsanto. I just want to find great products at a fair price. I know they're out there.

Ps. I'm not discounting how great FF products are. I just think the prices are getting out of hand.

• Like Like x 3
  6. well, i dont know about grow shops being safe or not. Ive read alot and there are certainly alot of cases where people were checked out and bust. But yes driving in a friends car for just a few items will go unnoticed but my state is a 25 plant and your fucked state that has nothing better to do. However, that not what this thread is about. This thread is about the best nutrients and soil from a home depot/lowes type store. I know some of you use stuff from them. There are plenty of threads on whether grow shops are safe.

7. Any of the brand name fertilizers will work fine. I have used MG tomatos formula, Peter's, and Ortho nutes in the past, all with good results. As long as they are given in proper doses, any will do the trick.

8. thanks

9. I am all organic just out of the big box stores like this. Between Lowes, Home Depot, and Fred Meyer I have an organic mix of:

1 2cu ft bag black gold organic potting soil
    1 1cu ft bag black gold organic compost mix
    1 1cu ft bag Chicken/Steer Manure
    4 quarts perlite
    1 cup blood meal
    1 cup bone meal
    1 cup alfalfa meal
    1 cup kelp meal
    1 cup bat guano
    2T Azomite
    2T dolomite lime
    2T garden sulfur
    4T Epsom salt

I have found the Espoma brand has alot of good organic supplies like the lime, sulfur etc. I have seen on the products page of their website they also sell greensand and rock phosphate so Im going to keep an eye out for them over the summer.

• Like Like x 3

10. The question is why would you want to buy that garbage when you can get a box of dyna gro products for 40$ and have it mailed to you?

11. Kelp meal, worm castings, Peat, perlite, lime, chicken manure pellets, Epsoma Tomato Tone -

All available at the big box stores. Instant water only organic soil mix.

J

• Like Like x 3
  12. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure this is great. But some people don't have that kind of money or time you add your stuff up, then you add a few of the more less hype products Dyna gro foliage pro, Dyna gro protekt, Dyna gro mag pro, Dyna gro bloom, nature's care organic raised bed garden soil (with worm castings and kelp meal, bone meal) liquid karma, extreme mykos mycorrhizae, superthrive and a little bit of that grand mas black strap molasses, and I'm good to go for under 75$ a plant.

I'm not sure what your recipe brings you, but mine nets me some pretty good personal shit that's not to hard on my system.....So far, all I've used, is about 2 gallons of the soil, I mixed in a half cup of extreme mykos mycorrhizae watered twice, both times I filled a old urinal, added 2 DROPS of superthrive, 2 DROPS of Dyna gro foliage pro 2 DROPS of liquid karma, and 2 DROPS of the Grand mas black strap molasses..... My plants look great

I'm adding a few pics of the plant that I have going, I'm about to put them away for awhile. But I snapped a picture of the first 12 days of this plants life, I think it's pretty amazing... I believe it to be smooth sailing from here on out, I don't think I'll be having any issues, nor do I think I'll be spending anymore money. That means I spent $75 per plant for the entire season [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

13. I think when you grow an organic soil and you don't have to flush is great for your lungs and The Taste is amazing when you add synthetics you have to flush it out

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

14. I'm thinking along the same lines, everything I use is borderline organic though.. It's simple, it's cheap, I'm not having to much of the products that I purchased, honestly I've used about $2 of the nature's care, and 75 cents of the liquid karma and foliage pro and 50 cents of the mykos.. So you want to talk about not only grown in good shit, it's not going to cost me shit either...

15. #15 Tbone Shuffle, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Black Magic was bought out by Scott's and now is carried by Home Depot. It's one of Monsanto/Scott's moves since legalization to get mass marketed cannabis growing products in stores like home depot. Miracle grow knows how bad their reputation is in the cannabis market so they just bought out a few other good names to take advantage of legalization including General Hydroponics. Not sure when Home Depot or other big box people will start carrying GH but it's a rumor and it's going to piss off a lot of small hydro retailers when it happens.

I've never used them but I don't think they would have been bought out if they were total crap. It says "Good Buds, Stick Together" on the flowering bottle. =) Sounds like a hint.

Part A
    www.homedepot.com/p/Black-Magic-32-oz-Base-Nutrient-Part-A-1010110101/207157483
    [​IMG]
    Part B
    www.homedepot.com/p/Black-Magic-32-oz-Base-Nutrient-Part-B-1010110069/206673039
    [​IMG]
    Bloom Boost
    www.homedepot.com/p/Black-Magic-32-oz-Bloom-Boost-1010110105/207157515
    [​IMG]

They also sell Black Magic soil and Coco.
    www.homedepot.com/p/Black-Magic-1-5-cu-ft-Potting-Soil-1010172459/207157440
    [​IMG]
    www.homedepot.com/p/Black-Magic-1-5-cu-ft-Coco-Coir-Mix-1010175459/207157452
    [​IMG]

Fabric pots?
    www.homedepot.com/p/Black-Magic-12-in-W-x-12-in-H-Felt-Grow-Pot-1010110079/206673060
    [​IMG]

The other nutrients I was looking at I would consider is the Dr. Earth organics.
    DR. EARTH 4 lb. 60 sq. ft. Home Grown Tomato, Vegetable and Herb Dry Fertilizer-704P - The Home Depot

I'm a firm believer that you can grow just as clean with bottled nutrients. Everyone who smokes my weed constantly comments on how smooth it is and I'm on the bottle. GH florakleen at the very end makes a nice difference and just not overfertilizing to begin with. Properly done hydro with the right supplements and feeding schedule can be smoked next to organic and you can hardly tell the difference.

16. None

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

17. #17 Tbone Shuffle, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    I bet I could get big buds from black magic's bottled 2 part with bloom booster line in coco and their fabric pots. Or... black magic soil with dr. earth organic tomato herb fertilizer. All at Homedepot.com with links.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dyna gro is at home depot, and the nature's care soil is at home depot, the molasses is at Walmart and the other stuff is on ebay.. But if you have the money be my guest. But forgive me if I grin with a devilish grin, while I smoke some good fucking weed that I grew with a minimal amount of effort time and money, as you brag on your high dollar crop.

20. Monsanto can suck my...(fill in the blank)..will the BIG PHARM beat em to it
    ?..Now they all want in...Maybe they will help getting the classification changed (fat chance now)