Wiring Computer Fan(s) to Run on 120V A/C

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Azureblue, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Damn computer fans! they are the scourge of low budget weed grows across the net!

hasnt the world seen enough electrical fires yet?

2. ^ how so? they run on really low energy and are easily attachable to cellphone chargers, only danger is exposed wiring, which can be remedied with a solid wrap of elec. tape.

My grow box is 2 by 2 by 4 ft tall and I'm wondering if one 4" inch fan with a cfm of approx 70-80 would be enough for outtake? There is also a 6 inch DIY Filter on it - right now, it is unattached, and i can feel the wind coming out of the filter from the lone fan, wouldn't it be a stronger pull if it was inside a grow box too?

I also plan to have 1 or 2 computer fans in locations as blowing the heat off the lamp towards the exhaust, 1 as wind for the plants, and dunno if i should have one for the intake

whaddya think?

3. do what you gotta do to get the damn plant growin! lol doesnt matter what i guess. a fan is a fan, just for the space that it is needed.

4. well i just wired my first computer fan and......nothing. there has to be a logical explanation why - i'm not that much of an idiot. and there's only 2 wires! :)

here is the power supply i'm using:
    input:100-240v ac
    50/60Hz 0.3a
    output:12v dc 1A

and here is the fan info:
    -3 speed---1200, 1600, 2000rpm
    -3 air flow---39, 56, 79 cfm
    -3 current---0.13, 0.20, 0.24 amp
    -3 power---1.56, 2.40, 2.88 watt
    -input use power supply 4 pin
    -120x120x25.4mm
    -operating voltage---10.2 to 13.8v
    -rate---dc+12v

anything obvious i'm missing? maybe the wrong adapter?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. it would be best to take photos urself of exactly what you're talking about so theres more light on what you are working with exactly.
    myself, i used 3 of those cpu fans(inside the tower) & strip the wiring on it as well as cell phone charge adapters & re-wired then electrical tape to prevent any dangerous hazards. not trying to burn down the plant quite yet

6. off-hand i would say the adapter is the key problem as it has a minimum requirement for electrical operation; well i'd like to think of it that way as of yet with little info. the info you have given will not suffice in a detailed enough picture compared to actually taking pictures

7. One thing to be careful with using pc fans is that (with some of them) even if you put 1volt more than its operating voltage through it it can destroy them never to work again. I attached a 13v adapter to a 12v fan and some smoke came out and it stopped working. So annoying

8. i guess i'm not sure why pics are needed. the fan and the adapter are both pictured, and the adapter has the obvious red + black wires while the fan has one solid black wire and one black wire with a grey/white broken line.

the adapter is a 12v adapter, and it is pushing more than enough amps. any other suggestions?

9. cant be bothered to make a separate thread for this

will a 74cfm 120mm pc fan be powerful enough to push enough air through a 4 inch carbon filter? Or do I need a proper inline extractor fan