Wiring Computer Fan(s) to Run on 120V A/C

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Azureblue, Apr 9, 2009.

1. concerning the 4 wire fans...

i have a
    + (red)
    - (black)
    FG (yellow)
    PWM (blue)

which should i be wiring for max speed?

2. bump, lil help?

3. Hmm...I'm not sure about the blue. You can wire the yellow (which is a "switch" wire) to the positive (red) to force the fans to always be on. Hopefully someone will chime in about the blue. You can always Google it too.

Good luck!

4. Hey so i have a "115VAC 60Hz 20W" 4inch radio shack fan it came with bare wires. i bought a 12v 500mA (enercell brand) AC adapter. I stripped the AC adapters wires and connected them to the fan and its a no go. any help would be greatly apreciated. thanks in advance. Do i need the "red butt" to get it to work or is there something wrong with my config?

i tried reversing wires also.

5. i think its bcuz u bought an AC fan and tried to use an AC adapter(changes a dc current to ac). all u needed was an ac power cord(http://www.crazypc.com/products/5661.html)to run your ac fan. get a dc fan to use with ur ac adapter, since u dont actually need an adapter for an ac fan

6. Blue is "grounded" wire. It needs to be attached to a piece of metal to allow for stress to be alleviated in a possible electricity overload situation. Don't quote me, but when you're searching - use this as a guide to narrow your results. My housemate is an engineer and that's what he told me.

7. #47 Jonesy513, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2010
  8. nice setup the only thing i have a question about is how do you stop the light from getting into your grow area from the outside through the fan blades

9. For the price of the PC fan and that adapter you could just go to an electronic shop and buy a 120V fan.

I purchased one to use as a PC fan for a server. The cable and the fan cost me about $10. This was for a 6 inch fan which had more power and cfm then a PC fan. Save your money :)

10. Thanks for the tutorial. :) Seems so easy now!

11. I got a fan like this one:

http://www.pcshopper.com.au/files/images/thumbnails/t_48521.jpg

As you can see there is 2 sets of wires. One is red yellow and black they go to a end peice that has a switch you can choose "Low MED or high" the other set of wires is 3 clear ones that go to one connector piece seperate

How would this be wired?

12. i just bought a fan for $3 on Ebay, anyone use the cheap-o hong kong fans?

13. Good info thanks.

I'm setting up my pc box based on Mr Micro's Nanomachine and she's coming along just fine. My problem is connecting the fans. I have LED fans and the wires aren't colour co-ordinated. How do I know which to connect?

Appreciate it.

14. i did this works really well in my grows:smoke:

15. First, much Rep for this post. Ton of good Indo, I mean info. I have a few questions. I'm sure the answers are in here somewhere, but by the time I got to the 4th page, forgot what was on the 1st. Here goes: my mother room is about the same size 2x2x3.5. Its to warm, 87. Do you use a passive intake? I know ball bearing fans don't work horizontal & that's how my intake is. I have a new fan for exhaust, silenx, 12v, 0.32amps, and 3.84 watts. What specs should I be looking for in an adapter that I can use from something else? :smoke:

16. +repp... nothing eles needs to be said

17. hey nice diy, appreciate it. I wentnout and got everything needed and the fans won't even power? Any suggestions?

18. I was just wondering how to wire pc fans, thank you for the tutorial, +rep

19. i used old wireless access point adaptors, didn't even think about wiring both fans to the same adaptor though!

might have to go home and rip one of those adaptors out now.

+rep

20. Does anyone know if this AC/DC adapter would be sufficient to run two PC fans? The specs of the fans are listed below. (thats for one fan)

Thanks GC!

Attached Files: