Bubble bucket hydro method 101

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Big Poppa Puff, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Can you please give some more gory details about measuring out the nutrients... I read earlier you mentioned a syringe and some kind of measuring device that also does ph? Do garden stores sell syringes? or where?

Since you mentioned that it doesnt really matter what company you get the nutrients from... I saw Gro formula and Bloom formulas... but I put it back on the shelve.. and almost hung up this whole project all together.. because of one simple fact: I suck at math.

I dont know any of this 4 quarts to a gallon or whatever.. so I fear burning the plants, drowning the plants, starving the plants, because I dont understand this "Parts Per MILLION" language.

Can you please give us some more details on this extremely important section.

Thanks in advance, and great thread so far!

2. im very unfamiliar with hydro setups / the bubble bucket idea, but ideally how deep should the pot that sits in the bucket be ?

3. Both your explanation of the bubble bucket setup, and the link that tylonalsnifnfoo provided were great. I can see why hydroponics works finally :)

1 question though. How much water do plants use in a day? I hear people saying they change their nutes every 7-10 days and I'm wondering how much of it is being dumped.

4. did anybody mentioned about wether or not roots should be allowed to come out the bottom of the pot and into the water ? this i am curious on.

5. do some more searching m8 until u understand the principles of how it works!
    (not being smart arsed there btw - that's for ur own good!)

Basically, yes, u use net pots (pots with lots of holes instead of just at the bottom) & u encourage the roots to grow through the nets & into the bubbling solution.
    Normally, immersing the roots in liquid would kill them off within days, but as the liquid is a froth of oxygen rich nutrients, the roots thrive.

Try it out m8 - they're well easy to make & give top results for next to no £/$ outlay. :smoking:

6. i possibly have been :) lots of roots coming through the bottom and submersed in water so i was just asking to be sure. Id been thinking that was fine but I read a post of someone asking and didn't see a reply so i got worried :p

7. Instead of wrapping your buckets with duct tape you can also spray paint it. 2-3 coats of black then a coat of white to reflect the light since black absorbs light then creating heat. To test it put it over your head and see if any light comes through it. Same with the lids too.

If you're gonna start from seed/clone you want the water to reach 1 inch from the bottom of the cup. Adjust ppm ~200-400 for clone and under 200 for seeds. I don't change out the water until I see the roots hanging from the bottom.

It is REQUIRED for you to have a pH/ppm/EC meter. You can find good deals on ebay for one of these. I have a hanna model that measures all of it and it is very helpful. They range $80-120. But if you are really strapped for cash then every 2 weeks change out the water and follow the nutrient directions (be sure to set aside a bucket of water 1-2 days prior when changing the water so the chlorine evaporates) just remember nutrients before pH adjusting. This way you dont have any nutrient lock.

8. my plant is in its second week of flower and had a difficult time of late , i overfed here with bloom and boost and foliar spray solution, a week ago, she seems ok now but the cf has been rising each day is this correct ? im not sure? cf started at 18 and worked upto 24 before i added more water and brought back to 19 any help !!!!!!

9. 2 weeks into flowering and no flowers? Your room needs to be completely dark stand in the room and look to see for any light leaks and cover them up.

If your CF's are too high pour out some of the solution and fill with more water. The plant will take in more water and less nutrients when temps are high. So your solution gets stronger.

10. i'm trying to get my clones' weight to 1 oz. eaach. I'm starting a new system with pvc i'm sure you know the areoponics system made from pvc pipe. What do you think? We value your opionon Big Poppa Puff.

11. can anyone help me with size and weight of clones? I want my clones to weight at least 1oz each is this possible? I know different strains will make ea difference but what about the time period of veg. does that need to increase or can it be worked out with the strains I grow? I'm using hydro pvc areo. remember "good buddy systems"? can anyone help me?

12. Im not really understanding your question...are you asking how you get a plant to yield a oz???

13. 19 days old - 10 days in a bubbler :smoking:
    [​IMG]

roots of the same plant after a mth (30 days)
    [​IMG]

14. i enjoyed your post about hydroponics and am wondering if you could assist me through a moderate sized grow 6-12 skunk#1. i purchased everything already and am ready to go. i am very willing to know everything about this skill.

15. 19 days old - 10 days in a bubbler :smoking:

[​IMG]

roots of the same plant after a mth (30 days)
    [​IMG]

sry - pic host has been taken down :/

16. this system seems to be doing wonders for my damaged plants. I started them off in time-release soil, a big mistake i wont be making again. After they were stunted for two full weeks, they went into tubs with GH nutes, h2o2, airstones and a 400W HPS overhead and they have taken off. They are now growing well over an inch a day, with some even showing tiny preflowers only a month after planting. The tallest ones stand at about 13-14 inches, but all are showing amazing growth and I'm going to have to switch to 12/12 sooner than i thought or they will outgrow the area i've got for them. The rule is about 2 times their pre-time change height is their finishing height, right?

17. I'am beginning my first bubble system. I have taken a cutting near the end of the flowering stage and have set light to 24hr sunlight. The rockwool cube that i placed the cutting in, ounce roots show do i place the cube on the bottum of the net pot? or do i put the pebbles in first then place the rockwool on top followed by more pebbles?

Also can someone post the mixing ratio for the three part G.H nutrient solution. Can you include suggested feeding times?

Thanks ahead of time.

18. I'm assuming that ppm stands for Pounds Per Minute, for the flow rate of the air, what would proper flow rates be throughout the entire grow process?

19. When you start out with a seedling, what do you do until you put it into the net pots? Do you start out the seedling by putting it in a rockwool cube and misting it until it grows roots? Or do you just immediately put it in the bubbler with the seed. I'm confused as to what to do right after the seed germinates

also do you think it is fine to do exactly what it says on overgrow which is:

"For seedlings and clones I use a 33% strength 1-1-1 solution. What I do is mix 1gal with 5ml Grow, 5ml Micro, and 5ml Bloom. Not in this order, as you have to add the micro first, but they list the solutions as G-M-B. I also add 5ml of Pro-Tekt and 1/4tsp of epsom salt. This goes into the bucket and an additional two gals of distilled are added. For veg stage I use the same procedure for mixing to obtain the 33% solution strength. The difference being the ratio of the 3 parts. In veg stage I use the 3-2-1 mix which equals 15ml Grow, 10ml Micro and 5ml Bloom. The Pro-Tekt and epsom salt remain the same. Combine with 2 gals of distilled and adjust the ph to range.
    For the flowering stage it's the same routine and 33% solution strength. The ratio of the 3 parts are 5ml Grow, 10ml Micro and 15ml Bloom. The Pro-Tekt and epsom salt remain constant. Add two gals of distilled and adjust for ph range."

since i have general hydroponics