3-Wire CPU Fan wiring

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by elemaoh, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Lol u guys are soo funny. Truth is if u take the wires from the fan and the power supply and splice them together and make sure they don't tuch and it will run. COLORS don't matter at all. The white wire coming from the fan is an out wire that runs to the computer to tell it what speed the fans running on. Completly useless in ur situation. If u connect the fan to the power supply like I told u and it doesn't run its busted or stuck either way just get a new one not worth the time to fix it. And about the fan speed thing what u want is a diffent sources of power 12 v would be high 9 volt would be a little slower and so on in this order. Either plug ur fan into different a different power source each time depending on ur desied fan speed or wire ur fan and ur diffent size power supplies to a switch that can control whitch power supply to use. If u need help building the switch let me know.

Fixingusnow.blogspot.com = my site

2. True, and you can get some very cheap PSU's these days for $30.

3. #23 FUGGITx1503, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2011
    nah, dont think so... the adapter doesnt put out enough amps to constantly run fan...

** and the fan issue- if it budges when you touch the wires... switch them... the no power to the fans is usually cause you have the hot and neutral switched. i had a 4 wire cpu fan in which i didnt even end up connecting two of the wired from the fans.. just capped off. **

hope this helped

4. How PC Fans Work

This really helped confirm what wires are which for me since different manufacturers use different color wire casings. it should help you with 2, 3, and 4 wire pc fans. Hope somebody else finds this useful.

5. I once read somewhere that the voltage of your adapter/plug should be lower than that of your fan, otherwise you're risking overloading/blowing the fan :eek:.

I'm not sure if it's unsafe to use a 12v adapter for a 12v fan, but I think it's safe to say you DEFINITELY should not use an adapter/charger higher than 12v (or whatever voltage your fan may be).

Great idea.  Most people have an old PC kicking around and a PC power supply makes for an excellent power supply.  I converted one a few years ago and I'm always using it for some weird project.

You actually do have speed control of a sorts.  PC power supplies have a 12V 5V and a 3.3V rail.   If you want the fan to spin slower you can use the 5V rail or even the 3.3V rail to power the fan.

That's not right at all.  A PC power supply only uses what it needs to deliver.  A 250W PC power supply can provide up to 250W of power.  If you only have a 20W load, that's all of the power that it will consume.  Having said that, the PC power supply does have more overhead due to it's size and capability and will likely use more power than a wall-wart power supply - but we're still only talking a couple of pennies a day.

9. #29 RMarc, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2013
    A very common type of PC fan. These fans introduced the "tacho" for the first time. The first two wires are the power supply of the fan the power and ground usually red = power and black = ground. The third wire, comes directly from the output of the Hall sensor let's say yellow = tacho.  The color of the wires are not always the same. There is not standard that companies have to follow so you can find fans with no red or black wires such as green, yellow and white wires like the one in my tower. The Hall sensor output generates 2 pulses per one revolution of a fan. The fan is then connected to the motherboard. From the third wire, the motherboard can "read" the tacho of the fan and see if the fan is running and with how many RPMs! It is a great innovation! If the motherboard sees no pulses or very low rpm, then the characteristic buzzer sounds to inform the operator that something is not ok. The reason your fan will not run is there is no pulse when you wire it direct to just power and ground.  I am writing this years late I know but wow all these people who have no clue trying to answer.  HELLO people if you do not know do NOT try to answer when someone is asking for help because your wrong answers are not helpful DUH! Sorry get a little upset when people who really do not know stick their nose into things and just muddy the waters if you will.  Anyway I hope this helps those who google 3 wire fans.

Attached Files: