150W HPS Light issue... Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by law_101, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Hey i was wondering how far away should a 150W hps light be away from a plant. The light is on the inside of a growcab and has a fan blowing air around the light to cool it some. Also, If anyone knew a scrog screen size for this light it would be awesome. THe area is 15 inches deep by 26 inches wide. Thanks!

2. 10" to a foot away would be fine. I have a 250w and I keep mine around a foot. Also, a scrog of about 2.5'x2.5' would be about the extent of your light. What strain are you growing? Hope this helps:smoking:

3. The distance is mostly a heat issue -- you want the light as close as you can get it without being too hot for the plants. Put a thermometer at plant-top height and try to keep it in the 70s (F). A quickie test is to hold the back of you hand to the light at plant-top height for 30 seconds, if it feels too hot to you then it's too hot for the plants.

For a scrog, a 150w would properly cover about 1.5 sq ft.

4. dont mean to steal your thread bro but i got a quick question on a 150 watt hps...I currently have about 220 watts of cfls in my cab, my buds are pretty airy and light, would an 150 watt hps make a big difference in my buds over what my cfls are doing?

5. yeah cfls = crappy loose buds i dont know if the HPS like that will help but im sure the light would be better then the Cfls i guess runnin them both at the same time would be great

6. spectrum plays a part as well. If your CFL's are in the vegatative(blue) spectrum, when it comes time to flower them, they will be a little airy and light. You can get CFL's in the (red) flower spectrum. That's why HPS are better than metal halide for flowering.

7. richirich, I use both a 150w HPS and up to 230w cfl light in my box.

start with cfls, then take some away and add HPS to keep about the same wattage, but the HPS puts out 16000 lumens for its 150w, only 8000-9000 lumens for the same wattage of cfl light. So for same wattage, total light output goes way up.

Then, to prevent stretching, gradually add the remaining cfls back in.

8. ...And yet you did.

That's 220w actual? What spectrum? How far away? Start a new thread with some pics.

9. my bad, thanks for all the help. Im using 3000K lights and two 42 watt 2700K CFL's. I might try to make a cheap cooltube with a 150 hps and see how that works in place of the cfls. this should also help me keep the temps down even more also. Thanks guys, im done asking now, bakc to the OP question.