The M-Files Investigates Homemade Vaporizers

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by Matt Mernagh, Jan 13, 2009.

1. #1 Matt Mernagh, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009
    Memo – Findings On Homemade Vaporizers Disturbing

Getting gunned on ganja then making stoner utensils is a natural talent for some potheads. They can assemble several different pieces of random household items to create a killer smoking device.

Not The M-Files.

Getting stoned and making stuff is not our scene. Even creating a fruit pipe with a Granny Smith apple and a purchased fruit kit is a cannabis challenge. Thankfully with our impressive reefer Rolodex there’s always someone around who has attempted a pothead project with success.

temperature went a little too hot. Resulting in serious burns, home fires and in one friend’s case hospitalization. Prohibition ensures that some hastily created household marijuana extraction devices do actually kill.

So be extremely careful with what you use to create or extract your toke. Some items when heated release potent toxins.

So please do not try this at home.

homemade vaporizers include, but are not limited too.

All three (especially the third point) should be reason not to try.
    Weed vaporizers are affordable for any budget. There’s little need to make one. Many homemade vaporizers are futile at even the basics of cannabis extracting. Simply burning your bud. Which is not what we’re looking for.

weed vaporizer experience did come from a homemade job. We understand the allure.

precise temperature of 400F.

temperature consistent
    to get a good hit became such a chore that the novelty wore off in a few hours. Nuggets, like many marijuana McGyvers, got more of a kick out of making the device than actually using it.

Temperature is key to successful vaporization.

The M-Files’s personal preference for
    sativa marijuana strains is 396F and 409F for indica marijuana types. For show we’ll kick it to 420F to create a hardy smoky weed vapor. Plenty of folks want a, ‘If you don’t cough. You don’t get off.’ hit that only comes from 420F.

Stove Top Vaporization Technique
    appears to control temperature well and the method sounds like plenty of fun. It’s akin to doing hot knives on a stove.

2)Cooking Thermometer (Not sicky one you put under your tongue)

Grind your cannabis!

Put ground cannabis on your tinfoil sheet. Place sawed off pop bottle on top of the ground grass with bottle cap on. When temperature reaches 400F on stove top burner, slide (on glass stove tops this is very easy to perform) the tinfoil complete with toke and soda bottle onto the burner.

temperature reaching above 420F
    , the upper range of tolerable vaporization.

homemade vaporizer shown in Master Bong's instructional video is much more complex than the Stove Top Method. But it’s an amazing Master Bong video, but involves a nasty vaporization method. Given the possibility of inhaling small particles of glass or worst some sort of light bulb poison.

Remember do not try this at home.

2. interesting. but not really informational

3. <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Paul/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><style> </style> I really think this article is a big improvement from the last one so congrats matt! I enjoy the practicality of this article and have constructed many homemade smoking devices myself so I can appreciate your work much more. Maybe going into detail about the nasty vaporization method of using a lightbulb vaporizer would've been a good idea and quite fascinating instead of briefly mentioning it at the end of your article. Possibly mentioning why and how the glass particles and “lightbulb poison” (soft white spray) can affect users and what they can do to protect themselves. Such as use salt to remove the coating or to simply buy clear bulbs. Also mentioning the temperatures at which different types of canabinoids vaporize and the quality of vapor you inhale would be valuable information in an article such as this.

Little blurp from wikipedia
    Few vaporizer studies/reviews have really addressed the quality of the vapor extracted and delivered. Most studies/reviews have tended to focus on the mode of usage of the vaporizers and not the quality of the vapor extracted and delivered. When one considers that there are at least 60 pharmacologically-active compounds in cannabis and that the aromatic terpenoids begin to vaporize at 126 C, but the more bio-active cannabidiol (CBD), Cannabinol (CBN), and delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) do not vaporize until near their respective flash points: CBD 206.3 C<sup id="cite_ref-5">[6]</sup>, CBN 212.7 C<sup id="cite_ref-6">[7]</sup>, THC 149.3 C<sup id="cite_ref-7">[8]</sup> then it becomes apparent that the only way to get a full spectrum vapor inhalation is to extract and deliver rapidly from a small sample at a time. Because most commercial vaporizers are slow in extraction and delivery, the vapor inhaled is first aromatic, but only minimally active; and then as the apparent temperature rises, the vapor becomes increasingly bio-active, but minimally aromatic as most of the aromatics already released.

Like Overgrowray said ^^ it needs more meat and less sunshine.
    Cheers, I'm looking forward to your next article!<o:p></o:p>

4. decent article Matt.. what you're explaining sounds like what we call "knife hits" or "hot knives" around this area but yeah.. do what cha gotta do

5. yeah... hot knife hits, and light bulb vapes. Light bulb vapes are actually very safe and extremely easy to make. All you do is gut an incandescent, (clear, not white) and swish around some water in there for safety. There you go, basically done, other than making any kind of makeshift mouthpiece, which can be done using the cap of a 2L soda bottle

6. I think he covered the spectrum of homemade vaporizers. There are not many things in a common household that get to a certain temperature, display that temp, maintain the temp without fluctuating at the same time are safe and usuable in a smoking or vaporizing situation.

The article was definitely an improvment on the second one. This one read much smoother. I knew you had it in you! I look forward to the next article. Any hints on what the M-Files is going to investigate over the next 2 weeks?

7. Interesting choice of topics! They definitely all have room for investigation. I would like to see some more data, explicit investigation, perhaps testimonials... interviews and quotes of experts and such! That would make the articles all the more interesting. Thanks for a biweekly read!

8. thanks! great feedback. im constantly testing the temp on my digit volcano. its true if you start at lower temp you're going to get the flavor. you can increase as you go. my personal choice is 409F. at Vapor Central we're constantly testing them. my choice is the Digit or Herbal Aire.

next up i'm going to check in with Chad and learn all about Vapor Poo oil. he's an expert at taking the crap from volcano and making oil out of it. i'll snap some photos while we make it.

shoot an email to some vaporization companies and ask them some questions.

have a wonderful day

matt

9. Very nice, man. :D Such an improvement from the last article you did lol. As far as grammar 'n all that kinda shit goes, I mean.

I'll be keepin' an eye out for the next one. :smoke:

10. About 20 years ago I made one using a car ciagarette lighter, a rheostat, the appropriate transformer, and a wall plug. The hardest part was calibrating the temp but it worked great. Then again back then there weren't a ton of commercially available vapes.

11. oh for sure back in the day 20 years ago making your own ganja gear like a vaporizer was a very intense cool thing b/c of the lack of weed vaporizers on the market. now there's too many. my argument. same with making a bong or a bucket bong. with plenty of great toker toys available the idea of making ganja goodies to play with is starting to really fall by the wayside.

12. Yes, but in a way that's a shame. Back in the day we made some pretty well crafted homemade smoking utensils. It's becoming a lost art.

13. Nice little article...

Home mades are definetly becoming a lost art though

14. lol

inhaling glass and getting caught on fire don't sound all bad

but wasting weed and not getting stoned?!?

now THAT is a consequence of unfathomable proportions!!!

:eek:

15. 100% it's a lost art. bucket bongs are still really popular at parties. but with this supposed stoner advance technology for toking less people are tinkering. that said, plenty of the younger potheads (im in the middle age group) make oil out of vapor poo, make bubble bag hash, and enjoy their glassware immensely. the oil and bubble is the smallest of returns for the labor, but there's something really enjoyable about it.

16. I still prefer my silk screens to make hash the old fashioned way. Bubble is a tiny bit more potent, but good old fashioned kief hash tastes so much better and is worth the effort...but then again I'm old skool ;)

17. OK i must add to this....
    I myself have personally made a homemade vaporizer, Easy as hell. works awesome. Like a volcano for $30 if you are resourceful. I'm not poor, I jjust thought it was rediculous to pay 500 bucks for a stupid heat gun in a lamp base.

Items needed:
    Heat gun $17 (i was working at an auto parts store at the time)
    Vinyl Tubing $3 (was actually free, but whatever)
    Metal Funnel $5 (but i stole it ha!)
    Turkey Bags(3)$1 (at the dollar dree bitches!)
    Bic pen $free (steal one from work if ya don't have one!)

Next i took some 1/2" drive sockets that were the same size as the tip of the heat gun then another that was slightly bigger. I formed the funnel around the tip of the heat gun by pushing the socket into the funnel stretching the metal a little.

Drop a screen in the funnel so that it sits below the indent from the socket.

Next take your vinyl tube and cut it in half. so you have two even sized tubes. not some stupid half tube.:D420:D

stick one end of one tube on the funnel tip. if it doesn't fit then hit it with the heat gun until it becomes soft. then it should just slip right on.

take the other section of tube and put the tip into the turkey bag and tape it all up so it seals with the tube being the only outlet.

put ganja in the funnel, connect the tubes using the pen, turn heat gun on low setting for about 10 seconds or when you see vapor. turn off heat gun for 2 secods and then start blasting it on and off and you should see a constant stream of vapor. This part might take a little bit to get good at, but after the third bowl i stopped burning them for good. (tastes like burnt popcorn when you burn it, and it gives you the tear gas cough)

Best part about this vaporizer is that if you're a gearhead like me the shit just looks like tools in the toolbox to most people when its unassembled.... like an oil drain system or something stupid. haha. ohh the funnel gets hot so don't hold it with your hand.

to make a long story longer, the turkey bag inflates just like a volcano bag, you hit it from the tube and its the best tasting vape hit you've ever gotten. super milky and smooth. I was vaping a lot of berkely/oakland club weed in it and.... yeah awesome.

There is a company that sells pyrex glass bowls made to fit heat guns for vaporizing. its like $25 online, i'd buy one but am too much of a hippy to use credit cards.

18. Not if I can help it.

19. sounds little complicated...it's all about controlling the temperature. consistently and easily. given the patents surround the Volcano Vaporizer i doubt it's just a heat gun. so that's an important point to remember. if the homemade job works that's awesome. however its kind of like comparing a go-kart to a mustang.

20. When I made mine using a car cigarette lighter I used a thermocouple to calibrate the temperature settings on my rheostat. I guarantee you it did just as good a job as any commercial vape on the market. It wasn't quite as pretty but it worked very, very well ;)