ladybugs killing spidermites what do you think?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Bcherbs, Jan 7, 2009.

1. i just released a bag of 1000 in my room. they started munchin down as soon as they hit the leaves! now i know why they are good luck! hopefully these little cock sucker mites die a painful death!

2. I can't believe in 2 years and 3 pages of this thread nobody has snapped a damn photo! LAME!!!! PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!

3. hahah ok fine ill figure out how to work this stupid camera...

4. ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

OMG i wanna see a garden full of ladybugs. And who said ladybugs bite?

5. #45 Wils0n, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2011
    Here are a few pictures, ladybugs do a fine job.

-W

Attached Files:

6. lol I don't have spider mites but I have something really small flying around my house and in the garden, going to pick up some lady bugs tomo. At my hydro store they only have one set, and it's 1500 lady bugs for 9 bucks lol. 1500 sounds crazy. That's hilarious though that you can put them in the fridge and they hibernate! That's awesome I'll have to do that, I'll only release like half and put the rest in the fridge.

7. i've tried this, and they are poor/decent, mainly annoying.

honestly, the money you spent on ladybugs, you could have probably purchased neem oil and another pest spray (maybe purespray?). spray every 10 days, UNDER the leaf, and over, and try to switch out from neem to purespray, or whatever you use so that your pest don't become too strong to the pesticides.

a constant spray, 3 times a month, every 10 days, will solve all of your pest problems for the most part, indefinatly. its a good habit to have. on top of this, cleanliness is godlyness. bleach between grows, keep everything clean, always.

you will have many more problems trying to grow dank ass buds, dont let pest be one of them!

8. I have a room in my upstairs that lady bugs live in there everywhere up there,huddled in the corners an crawling all over the walls for months,would this be a good place to grow?

9. Yes, especially if you can get them to water your plants and trim off the dead leaves! :):smoke:

10. [quote name='"JustAnotherHead"']

Yes, especially if you can get them to water your plants and trim off the dead leaves! :):smoke:[/quote]

Hahahah

11. Youll need to make sure to close off the room, and release them in small batches on the tops of the plants, every 1 to 2 days. I was lax with my ladies. I did as i just said for the first week maybe and it kept the mites from getting worse for sure, then i stoped becuase they kept flying away, but then all the sudden the mites come back and i see them crawling on top of my white haired nugs after one day, . so frequently release ladies and dont let them escape.

p.s i realized this post is old but im sure others are still searching for answers just like i.

12. Those bugs are mean little suckers. I have a couple of them living in my veggie garden outdoors. When I tried to transplant one from my front yard to my veggie garden, the sucker bit me like crazy. Mean little bugs! I wouldn't want them indoors with me, that's for sure! I'd say ladybugs are the ideal way to go!

Luckily I haven't had any pest issues yet. I keep things as cool and dry as I can. I did recently discover a tiny little wolf spider knocking about in my indoor garden. I like to think of the little guy as my pest guard dog, lol.

13. I have 2 rooms of 90 girls each, 6-8 mothers and 100 clones that are always getting
    reinfected. I've spent hundreds of dollars/hours trying to get rid of these little suckers and nothing works long term. I'm ready to try ladybugs.
    1. Could you share your experiences with them.
    2. Could you share where to buy them.
    3. How many would you recommend I start with?
    4. After harvest, is it easy to catch & keep for the next grow?

I would really appreciate your input - Chris

14. #54 webbly, May 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014
    I have been introducing ladybugs to my indoor garden for years. During the summer I always stick a load in and ive not had any pest problems for years (since the early 2000's). Ladybugs will generally eat anything, including themselves, I know people have said about setting them free, but they will get free if they want to, your find them around your house for months after, and those that dont will eat each other, so its "minimal" mess all round...

Really you want them to mate, its the larvae you want on your plants, the babies have an incredible appetite and will eat anything in there path. If I had a bad infestation of mites ladybugs would NOT be my choice though, I think you much better off going with a specific spider mites predator. Ladybugs however are a good all round measure to take for pest control, I usually let 50 off in my 2mx3mx2m space and I usually get some of the larvae also, its really not that expensive to buy them and seems good practise these days to bring into your indoor garden in the summer months if nothing else!

I would not however put all my hopes into them resolving a major spider mite infestation, i'm sure they would help, but as anyone who has been through a severe mite infestation knows, its a tough battle to fight organically and even difficult often chemically ;)

As for photos, well ive let 100 off before and not seen one again for days, they have a great way of hiding..

15. Lady bugs don't cut it.
    Spider mites are the easiest pest to control in marijuana and should never be a problem.  The way is to work preventatively with natural predators.  Eliminate all the sprays and all of that as they do more harm than good, to you and the plant, and the stress it puts on the plant only makes the plant more desirable to other pests, and the pest you're treating, especially if it has developed resistances to the chemicals.
    Here's what to do with a new crop:
    -Use Stratiolaelaps scimitus in the soil during potting.  These are generalist soil mites and feed on overwintering spider mites, fungus gnats, and other things.
    -Intro Amblyseius fallacis (Neoseiulus fallacis) which is a generalist mite predator.  These are awesome predators and will over winter when/if the spider mite do.  They can survive after wiping out the spider mite by feeding on other mites and other pests.  Fallacis is also highly resistant to a lot of sprays, if there is residue in your crop from previous sprays.
    -If the room is totally hard on the plants (low humidity) the spider mite can take off quickly.  If a spider mite is noticed when the other pests are in the crop, use Physeuillus persimilis.  They never lose to a battle against two-spotted spider mite.  They are faster and have a shorter life span, so it'll wipe them out every time unless you're using insecticides that the spider mite are resistant to.

Trust me, pests aren't a problem in your crop if you use predators/parasites and you don't use pesticides.  They will cost wayy less in the end too.  The yield will be higher from the healthier plant.  Do itttt
    Find a good distributor that is knowledgable and can answer all of your questions. 
    Message me if any other questions.

16. Unfortunately man yes. Iv had em in the cleanest of places.
    I think it's too hot n humidity n they get this far south