What kind of fan should I use?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by overgrowray, Dec 23, 2008.

1. I'm building a set up for a friend, i should of had it done a while ago but i been slacking so much. I'm going to buy cabinets from homedepot, instead of building a room so it will be somewhat portable incase something comse up and it needs to be moved asap.

There will be two cabinets (one for moms/clones and one for flowering). Will be using a 400 watt HPS(open reflector, not air cooled) for flowering and CFLs for the moms/clones.

Right now i'm worried about the flowering cabinet. I still haven't figured out which one i want. The first one i was looking at is 35WX18DX75H.

But i found one thats 71 3/4 in. High x 48 in. Wide x 20 1/2 in. Deep. And its $60 cheaper.

So my question is, if i use one of these cabinets what kind of fan will i need? Can i still use pc fans or do i need them expense big ones?

I've never used anything bigger than a pc fan. I don't know much about venting and odor control, i never worried about it but my friend is. I was planning on making a carbon filter. But if i have to use a big fan i think i'm going to buy one with a filter.

Also i'm looking at a cabinet for mom/clones, its 34-3/4 In. High x 24 In. Wide x 15 1/4 In. Deep. Think thats big enough?

Heres pics of the cabinets.

2. considering how enclosed that area is and how that wattage is the same thing as mr.green's from "i grow chronic" im gonna suggest that you get what he got and get a squirrel cage fan and rig that shit up to a carbon filter

3. #4 ricard0, Dec 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2008
    If you're going to be using a 400w or 600w, you'll definitely want an inline centrifugal fan. Like this one ---> http://cgi.ebay.com/4-inch-CARBON-A...9|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

You may actually want to get a 6" fan and a speed controller to accommodate any unforeseen heating issues.

You probably could get away with using 12v axial fans if you used like 15-20 of them. I've seen some commercial BC grow boxes that had 10 110v axial fans in them. Also, for that many 12v fans you'd need a power supply big enough to handle all of them. Think "Amperage Totals".

I used to have a 3' X 3' dual cahmber stacked cab with a 400w in both top and bottom. I had to use cool tubes with dedicated 6" booster fans, a 4" inline, and 11 12v fans just to keep it cool.

My advice would be to fork over the extra $$ and get a decent 6" with a matching Carbon Filter and a speed controller for maximum adjustment.

Maybe use 12v fans for the intake if you want.

Just a little advice based on experience.:wave:

4. Thank you, I will take your advice.

Yea i just gotta bite the bullet and spend more money that i don't have, lol. I'll find a way.

5. Creditors have always been happy to hand me a shovel while digging a $$ hole for myself. Lmfao :D

Oh man, i hate being in debt. But if the economy kicks the bucket, i won't have to pay it back. :hello: I wish.

I think my family members were my first loansharks. Lol.

Then Visa and Mastercard. Suckers. Ha ha....... yeah.;)