Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Color-Changing Glass?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by BigBlaze, Dec 18, 2008.

1. For those of you who think its not somewhat resin based or atleast induced, clean your piece and realize youre back to square one. ;)

2. Quality pipes are blown from boroscilicate glass which is extremely heat and chemical resistant ... which is why they also use it for medical glass. There is absolutely no way that the heat and resin created from smoking can change the glass in any way ... other than getting it dirty.

Color Changing pieces are an illusion created by fuming (burning at high temp) different metals onto the glass and then covering it with another layer to seal the fumes. This metal fuming is often near invisible on clean clear glass, but creates cool color changes and iridescent affects as the "background" glass begins to dirty.

3. So how would you explain color change staying on a completely clean piece?

4. #24 Duckhead, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
    ....I would explain that its not a completely clean piece. Even a small amount of residue is enough to start creating the affect.

If you completely clean a fumed piece and start over you may get slightly different colors the second time around .... but again its just an illusion and the glass itself is completely unchanged.

Its a bit like those chameleon paint colors they use on cars. The color you see depends on what kind of light is reflected and what angle you are looking at it. The micro bits of fumed metal reflect light differently in different situations.

5. mines got silver fuming in it, so all the clear parts turned silver-blue, its sweet.

6. Well it def is completely clean sometimes.soo....seems you may be wrong. Unless its impossible to completely clean a piece bc I spend a lot of time making sure its clean with salt and iso

7. A hundred bowl packs for all the colours? Maybe 50 solid .5 bowls.

And as far as some not being true colour changers? What are you talking about :D? All the pipes that change colours have fient colours blown in that will stand out later. The supposed "Real colour changers" are pipes NOT intended to change(All the colours already stand out.) and the changing that you see is the same changing on the other pieces... just resin building up and allowing less light to reach the inside.

8. The reasons I have for not believing that the color truely changes rather than getting dirty are these.

1- The pipe won't change color if you just sat there heating it with a lighter or sucking a flame through it.

2- How would glass react to thermal changes ie change color when hot then stay that color when it is cold?

3- Every CCG piece I've seen was just resin changing the fumings look.

If someone can explain these to me, my eyes will be open.

9. This is taken from the Chamelean glass webpage:

10. There isnt "true color changing glass".CCG is layed with very thin glass that's colored and when resin builds up the colors become more pronounced.Glass just doesnt change color's magically.I would say 10-15 maybe?

11. #31 Duckhead, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008

I salute you for keeping a clean piece!! I too am a big fan of squeaky clean glassware.... But I strongly suspect that your glass is no different than the day you bought it.Because of the iridescent quality of fumed glass even clean pieces may have slightly different colors, depending on light conditions !

12. I used to blow glass and there are some colors of glass that need to be treated similar to raku in pottery meaning it needs to interact with a carbonized flame to reach full color as a final step. The chemicals in the glass would react to the combo of heat and carbon to change color but did not go back to original after cooling. I have some that starts pale yellow and ends red. There is also dichroic glass which has layers of metals and gases and can change color from red to green by rotating the piece.

It seems that fuming works well commercially but it is hazardous to do on your own.

13. I have had some glass blowing experience with fuming. As long as you have adequate ventilation its not a big deal.

14. I got one that changes to purple.
    It took about 15 times for me to get the whole thing to change color.

15. Ya honestly 15 is more reasonable but it could take up to 50 to get it pitch black in the spots w/o colour(I.e fully rezzed).

Whoever said 100 must have been talking about getting everything including the very end of the mouth piece, rezzed up.

Honestly I smoke my fair share of bud and I have never gotten the part where my mouth touches more rezzed up then a few bud chunks on the glass.