Growing in the desert

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by thehealingherb, Dec 13, 2008.

1. My buddy moved out to the desert recently, I was wondering if we tried to grow some plants in pots out in the moab desert, would it be successful? would it be too dry? has anybody tried it? Any suggestions?

2. im sure u could grow there why not lots of sun.. butt make sure u dont forget to check the water and how dry it is all the time.

3. You will need a good water supply, or be ready to heft loads of it. Last grow here my girls needed 6 litres of water a day each.

4. Yeah, i figured water would be the biggest issue, how did the bud come out?

5. I grow on my roof terrace, where I have a tap (faucet), so water supply is easy. 4 plants in 50 litre pots gave me 72 ounces of dried/cured White widow. a good result.

6. My area is totally rainless for the whole summer. So it's a little like the desert. Watering depends on the hours of sun you have hitting the plants. Try to put them a little in the shade so they get like 7-8 hours direct sun (not 12), or watering will be a bitch. I also used a waterproof tarp under the hole (lining half of the bottom) so no water escaped but roots could go on on the sides. A few years back, I had one big hole (200- 300 liter hole with 12 females) with a tarp, then I added my soil mix. With 10 hours direct hot sun, I watered every 10-12 days. A little less yield but the tarp added 3 days without watering. You can use polymer crystals too. Watering depends not on how many plants but the volume of dirt you water. The advantage of in soil vs. pots is less watering. If you use pots, plug in 2/3rds of the holes to keep in water. Plus if you make a big hole with lots of plants in there, you'll have to water less then if they were all separated as you'll have less soil to water. Not academic but works...

7. I'd say once a week with pots. once every 9 days in soil without tarp. With tarp, 10-12 days. I never used the polymer crystals. Read that they affect taste, don't know.

8. i have a high times issue where the showed this awsome grow op in the desert. they explained some of the tricks they did im gonna look for it for you.

9. Thanks everybody for the tips, i appreciate it

RobertHope \t \t\tRe: Growing in the desert
    i have a high times issue where the showed this awsome grow op in the desert. they explained some of the tricks they did im gonna look for it for you.

Nice, im definatley interested in hearing what they had to say.