Is a picture worth a thousand words?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by bkadoctaj, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Apparently it's more (and Less), according to Wang Bi:

2. Only sometimes.

3. I'd say according to the article you put up bkadoctaj that it depends on the content of the image. You can have an image that doesn't necessarily express any idea at all, but you can also have a image that is rich with meaning and is created for the purpose of expressing idea.

I'd say this is pretty evident in many types of art work, but there is also stuff that could simply be a painting of a landscape. Then again if you can derive certain idea's and thoughts from that landscape then you might be able to express what you think about. Because, even a painted landscape in some respect has to be chosen for certain qualities, and perhaps the artists portrayal of that landscape is not 100% true. Then you can ask the question for what reason might he have changed some aspects of what he saw?

I think it might depend on the intent of the artist a lot. I wonder how would someone create an image with no meaning. I've seen some modern art that might be the attempt at achieving this.

4. its just another form of expression, it is worth a thousand words if u dont have the ability to write what u can convey via a image

5. The article is saying the image is the best form or medium of expressing idea's though, and that in so far as we think about the idea's that the image can convey, we separate them from that image, and describe them using words. For someone who doesn't understand the ideas in the image we use words to describe the idea and then once they fully understand it they no longer need the words or the image, because they have the concept or idea, but they now understand the image as well.

6. #6 Appocolyptik, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2008
    [​IMG]

^That picture is definitely not worth a thousand Shakespearean words. But at the same time, it is worth more than the person in this picture writing a thousand words on how stoned he is when this image sums it up more effectively. So the OP is correct, a picture is worth more, and less, than a thousand words.

7. No, definitely not.

8. Is that a challenge?

9. I always thought the quote was being unfair to words.

10. A picture can be worth a thousand words or even more if its relevant to the veiwer. If you look at a worn and yellowed photo of your self and your gray and brown mutt of a dog, youll feel alot of emotion and have countless things to say about the picture and how it makes you feel and how you felt then. It can bring back memory after memory, smells, sounds, and feeling you had almost forgotten about.If you were shown a photo of a tree in an open field that you had never seen before you have much to say other than how you feel in that moment.So the amount of words a picture is worth goes hand in hand with relevance of the picture to its viewer.

11. It says more because it's more (I hate to use a word rather than a picture, but...) abstract.

12. i dont think that article applies to the mantra. the mantra literally means, that in order to describe a picture accurately, it would take a thousand words. that's it - no ideas, or crazy metaphors. what figuratively it means is that it is much easier to show someone than to explain it. amiright

13. Perhaps a picture is worth a thousand words.

A motion picture worth a million.

The experience of integral silence that encompasses every word ever said and every word unsaid - invaluable.

I sound like a MasterCard Ad

14. Once I heard silence. And then

15. A picture is worth a thousand words and a word can evoke a thousand pictures. And a word is a picture, and there's a word for 'picture'. The word 'picture' is a picture, and can harness behind it many ideas, which are expressed in words or pictures.

Pictures and words are equal.