Using Molasses as a nutrient

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Leapfrog, Nov 6, 2008.

holy shit man take it easy.  trying to help you underastand that your are wasting your money and effort on something proven not to work.. but go ahead and rage..  i'm sure being right about everything is nothing new to you.

2. I'm not mad, all of this is an interesting discussion to me. I'm never afraid to admit I was wrong about something. You just aren't bringing much of an argument to the table here as to why molasses isn't a useful soil amendment, and instead attacked my noob grow. Fair enough though, my shit ain't perfect that's for sure. 

If you're going to respond to someone by saying, hey look how much better my grow is, molasses is for suckers! You might find that it's a shitty way to talk to people online. Especially when you've apparently been growing for 8+ years and have 3k+ watts? 

I think context is important here, and molasses is one of many possible ways to feed bacteria in a soil culture. If you have a better alternative that works, definitely post it up, but otherwise you're just not adding anything useful to the thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ok take it ease.  LOL.

No one is taking shots, just sharing their opinion.  I posted in this thread 5 years ago when it started, the title is certainly misleading if not completely incorrect.  It is not a nutrient for your plants.  It's supposed benefits have been listed in here far too many times, and yes I said "Supposed".

IME experience 2 tbsp of unsulphured blackstrap molasses mixed with a gallon of water....does very little.  Certainly does not make buds larger or sweeter.  That said if you care to continue using in these proportions, it will not have any negative effects either.  IMO it's a placebo effect.  If it makes you feel better then do it, but it's not necesary.  I've certainly seen people over use it.  TBH I only noticed this when I stopped using it a year or so ago, and noticed no difference.  Used it for years thinking it was necesary.

When brewing ACT a very small amount can be beneficial as far as I know.

This is coming from a water only, organic grower.

Just my 2 cents.

4. I wasn't trying to insult anyone. I just have been there and tried it.. Trust me.

Fair enough man, what do you use nutrient line wise? 

Feeding molasses to your root zone is an acute benefit. Its not sustainable unless you keep adding more on a consistent basis, not to mention the other bugs and things you will attract with it. Molasses can be a good additive for starting your root zones bacteria culture, but whatever can't be sustained by the organic material will just die anyway once the molasses is gone. The question really shouldn't be "whats a better alternative for molasses?" the question should be, " is molasses a good alternative for quality organic matter?" The answer is no.

I use botanicare.  The 3/2/4 for veg and the 1/4/5 for flower.  I also use Cal-Mag for sweetness and supplementation.  I havent actually done this yet but I am also going to be using their "Sweet Raw" as well for my next indoor grow.. Check it out: http://www.botanicare.com/Sweet-Raw-P46C3.aspx

8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x31VmIMUERQ

Looks like some highly reviewed stuff, your results pretty much speak for themselves. Is that all you use? 

10. Attached Files:

11. Not trying to resurrect a dead thread, but don't wish to start another thread on molasses.

I'm enjoying feeding my outdoor soil grow with molasses and during last week of flush.
    Dense crystals and tight bud structure, my girls love their tea!

12. Is the ashes from your smoke white or dark?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. I use high brix molasses to feed the microbes I use it until the last three weeks then just water and my ash is white.