Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How to get a license in MI?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by ihaveathumb, Nov 5, 2008.

1. For those who would like to know more about the new Mi mmj law:

http://site.qualifyingpatient.com/

Prepared by attorney Greg Schmidt.

In the next few days there will be a system of certification for med growers. Almost a union.

I'll provide that link as soon as it's available.

2. Great resourceful link, +rep :wave:

3. What does that scrolling list of diseases symbolize at the very bottom of the screen? I ask because a lot of them looked minor, so if those will work to get a card then many of us will be able to. :hello:

4. Great job finding that info!! Here is what is says in the scrolling text:
    Are these really the conditions people need to have in order to get a license?

5. Thats what I want to know, if they are I think we'll all be ok... common cold is easy to get haha :smoking:

6. The munchies probably won't help with that :smoking:

7. Sounds like Michigan's laws are similar to Canada now for MMJ. AKA sucky and hard to obatin

8. I thought it was gonna be hard as hell to get a card in MI.
    But if that link PeanutButter provided was right i have like 3 things off of it, joint pain and muscle spasms from lifting weights, and i have toxoplasmosis which gives me pretty harsh migraines.
    You guys think they will let me get a card for those, cause it seems like that scrolling list is kind of like easy to fake with the common cold lol.

9. You guys do have to keep in mind that just because it might be specified as something marijuana might help with it doesn't mean your going to be able to find a doctor that would prescribe it.
    Hopefully the doctors aren't too strict.

Good luck for all you Michigan residents, I'm interested in hearing about some of the first patients.

10. Ya were just gonna have to find doc's in the area that are known to prescribe it..

11. The doctor I see may be open to it for legitimate illnesses, we'll soon find out.

12. sweet keep us posted, we need to get a list assembled once everything starts moving...

13. I am still confused about that list. One of the things it lists is pregnancy. :eek:

14. [quote name='ihaveathumb']Great job finding that info!! Here is what is says in the scrolling text:

quote]

Morbid obesity how does mmj help with that? Im not being mean i just really want to know i wouldnt think it would help matters unless it help the thyroid anyone.:confused:

15. The main point with all those conditions is that it is the doctor who determines if you would benefit from marijuana.

If there is a proper doctor recomendation then you are covered by the new law.

You have nearly the same protections with the law even if you don't have a license as long as you have the doctors slip.

The doctors are the gatekeepers. Not the government folks in Lansing.

You can be legit on 12/4. the very day the law goes into effect. As long as you have the doctors recommendation.

" One of the things it lists is pregnancy."

An interesting topic. Marinol has been listed as safe for use during pregnancy. Medically marinol=THC. (see http://www.marinol.com )

There are medical conditions that pregnancy can bring on such as diabetes and high blood pressure. Those two can be driven back with marijuana. WITH THE RIGHT STRAIN GROWN FOR MEDICAL NOT RECREATIONAL USE. Much less risk to the unborn child using pot than any other drugs for these conditions.

Cannabinoid receptors are located in different concentrations in different parts of the body. One main area of concentration is in the uterus. Marijuana has been used for centuries to ease the child bearing process.

Anyway .. if the doctor thinks a woman would receive medical benefit for her pregnancy, then the doctor's the judge. The doctor determines that it is correct to let the woman consume. The state can not override the doctor.

16. Isnt the purpose of this bill to offer relief for nonhealthy people?

17. Let me introduce you a little more to Greg Schmid:

small part of his letter below:

My name is Greg Schmid, author of the original Personal Responsibility
    Amendments which proposed outright legalization for responsible
    private adult use in the absense of misconduct. I am not affiliated
    with any campaign, but our PRA volunteers and NORML members primed the
    pump for this victory in grassroots volunteer petition drives in 2000
    and 2002. The Prop 1 petition drive cost over a $million just to get
    on the ballot. We almost made the ballot twice, on less than $50,000
    thousand dollars. The will has always been there, and thanks to the
    2008 organizers and activists we finally found a way. Now we have the
    tools to stop the madness. Lets make them work.

18. I was in a bad car accident about 9 years ago and it really messed my neck and back up,i have been on narcotic pain relievers for 8 of those 9 years "vicodin,percocets,and a few others", i quit takin my pills about 3 month ago because they were getting out of hand, i was taking about 500 pills a month my doctor was only giving me 100 so i was spending 1200-1300 dollars a month on them,medical grade mj does wonders for my pain and spasm in my back,it has saved my life from pills and addiction, i am glad the people and all the supporters helped pass this bill, i can actually lead a more normal life. and i agree with the people that say "the people that don't really live with pain and lie to get a medical card will F**k up for the people that really need it" my mom had cancer and it help her a lot to get through the sh*t she went through,everybody who does not suffer from pain just be patient your time is coming to.lets use this wisely.

19. I'm sorry. But pain isn't the only thing marijuana is good for.

When you're in pain, ending it seems like the only thing in the world.

I rank being able to reverse my diabetes rather high also.
    Do I need for it to grow to the point of neuropathic pain first? Or should I be allowed to stop it in it's tracks and reverse it. As I have before?

20. "That means the by no later than
    the 28th of this month you can assert the Medical Purpose Affirmative
    Defense, even if you are already charged, and even if you don't get a
    written certification."

That's huge right there, even w/o written certification from a doctor you can use this defense. I'd assume that in that instance one would be required to obtain a written certification afterwards.

About judging whether a person should qualify, or if they're going to ruin it for others who really need it... only a doctor can contribute to hurting this by going overboard. The patient has no say in whether or not they can get an ID card, other than finding out if they can. If anyone feels that they can gain a medical benefit from it, I have no problem with them going for it.