How to: Cheap, Easy, Efficient - DIY Carbon Scrubber

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by nugglord_420, Oct 13, 2008.

1. An inch or two deep is really all you need.

2. why would it have gotten hot? is this ever a fire danger?

3. Great post, nothing like being able to neutralize that "twang"

Chillin1

4. There's about an inch in it, and a little less than .5 inch that fell through and is sitting in the pantyhose.

I dunno. that's what made me be concerned about it(fire risk??) Or maybe I'm just paranoid?!. I dunno if it's normal that I can't really feel air flowing out.

5. I don't feel a lot of airflow coming from mine, but I can tell it's definitely pulling and pushing air.

What kind of light are you using and how long do you keep it on during the day?

6. A small fan might not be enough to pull through that. The Stanley fan is awesome once you mod it.

7. would it be possible to connect the scrubber to the fan from the bottom so that the fan PULLS the air THROUGH the filter, instead of BLOWING the air through the filter? The fan is through a hole in the TOP of dr60, so if I did this, would I just attach the filter with something like duct tape or something to the fan?

8. P.S. IF this can work (80 cfm fan), then what do you suggest I use for the intake at the bottom of the dr60? OR...should I use the 80 cfm for the intake at the bottom, and get a dif. one for the top for exhaust?

9. Threw some rep your way, such an accessible and convenient CS. Think there'd be any benefit of using two? I.E: Two Exhausts, both scrubbing?

10. so.... i dont get the whole setup,
    how does tht clean the air if the weed aint there, like wats with the exhaust, how does the whole system work??
    (sry, im a noob startin to grow)

11. Yeah, why not? Make sure you have fans with enough CFMs to push/pull through. Can't help to take an extra step in security.

;)

Well, the point of a carbon scrubber is to try and eliminate odours from the grow room. Normally these filters are attached to the end of the grow room's exhaust. But I've even seen it going through exhaust intake to keep the air going in clean.

The reason we have exhaust systems is to keep fresh air in the grow space, and move hot air out. It's kind of essential if you're going to plant indoors. These systems are usually built with ducting and a sort of high powered fan to move air. If you have some general electric knowledge, you could even set it up with a nice controller to fine tune everything.

The activated carbon has a very large surface ratio, enabling it to pick up all kinds of odours and pollutants. Activated carbon has a range of industrial uses, as well. It's sometimes used for air purifiers and even for filtering Vodka in the distilling process.

12. Just what I needed, now I have to adapt it for a sliding closet door somehow. But I have a few months to ponder, Still vegging.

+rep For teaching me how to make filters, knowledge is power. Couldn't thank you enough my brother. Do you start from seed? The fact that you can get 3/4 ounce every 2 weeks is awesome. Luckily I have more grow space, that would have to be some killer bud to last me 2 weeks:) ...Im thinkin' scrog.

13. I flower clones, but usually start my mothers from seed.

If you've got a large grow space like a closet, you could set up a larger SOG. SOG is all about the perpetual harvest. The beauty of the system is it can be tweaked to whatever you need it to be.

14. Yeah, Thnx the seed question was dumb...unless you did fem which would be outrageously expensive unless you took clones...my bad. I definately see what you are saying about the SOG method I may have to try it... Is there a name for the technique of going 12/12 right away or is it just an advanced method for sog/microgrows? I tried to search for info on it earlier, and I couldn't find too much info about how it would yeild etc. This is another method I am considering, but not sure of. Thnx again bro you're a real help.

15. Not a dumb question at all. If you don't ask, how are you going to learn? ;)

Feminized seeds are a ripoff, IMHO. They're bred from hermaphroditic plants, and they're genetics can cause a hermie mutation in successive generations. You're better off sexing a normal plant and eliminating the males early on. Once you have a female mother plant, you know that all clones from her will be female.

SOG is the process of growing in cycles. Say you have a nice indica that finishes flowering in 8 weeks flat. You could take 4 plants and flower them 2 weeks apart from each other. You put 1 in the first week, one in the next two weeks and continue the cycle. By the time the 8 weeks is up, you've harvested your original plant, and have 4 more on the way at different stages of flowering.

The main decision here is - do you want to just have a grow for 4 months and get a nice yield until next time you decide to grow or do you want to grow at all times of the year, be more involved with whats going on in your garden and play with new strains and whatnot? SOG can be much more efficient in the long run.

*edit - oh btw, the Mothership was what I named the first plant I ever grew.

16. That's what she said!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself!)

Great DIY - I think I'm going to modify it a bit. I'm using 6 inch ductwork, I'm going to make mine out of a 6 -> 8 adapter connected to an 8 -> 6 inch adapter.. By increasing the circumference of the filter I hope to help keep the cfm up and static pressure down.

17. Unless she's over 6' tall, then you're going to need a bigger stick...

;)

18. Yo nugglord,

Thanks for this how to man this makes it so much easier/cheaper!
    Mods should sticky this.. great thread w/ pics and easy to follow +rep

19. Nice DIY.

When I start growing in a few months, I'm gonna adapt that SOG method your using. Thanks for the insight.