Leaves turning brown on edge

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by rainbowsbabe, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Hi all.
    I am hoping that someone can help us out there. We have friends who grow hydroponically, the plants are thriving but they seem to be developing a tinge around the leaf edge, it is like a rust. Would someone have some info on to what this could possibly be. Is it going to harm the plants, and what can they do to prevent this??

2. Sounds like a fert burn. Nute concentration too high. What is the amount and type of ferts being used?

3. Using Grow Rite....and bud rite.

1400 TDS
    6.4 PH

Re circulating system

4. Any time you see a leaf tip turn brown its most likely due to over fertilization or salt build-up in the reservoir. Flush your syatem out and reformulate a new reservoir of nutes. Everyone has their own idea on nute strength and fert ratios, but use the one you feel most comfortable with.

I checked out some different forums and the general consensus is ph ranging between 5.1 to 5.9, with a average of 5.6 being the most common. I've seen other pH levels as high as 6.2, but I've never seen anyone recommend pH as high as 6.4.

TDS recommended ranges. Most forums recommend 500 to 1000 ppm for TDS. With the lower ranges at the beginning of grow and the higher end toward the beginning of flowering.

If the plants are healthy but show a fert burn begining, ease the nutes back and try lowering the pH slightly.

Good Luck, and I hope this was helpful

5. Thanks to Big Poppa Puff on your replies to my query.
    We have just one more question in regards to this topic.

Is there something that can be sprayed on plant to help this problem, as well as cutting down on fert levels, (which has been done).

This is a great forum, keep the good work/advice going.

6. I have no idea about spraying nything on the leaves to help in fert burns.

I've read where some people apply nutes through a fine mist sprayed on the leaves, "foliar feeding" but have never studied it for myself or really understand it that well.

If you are still seeing yellowing on the leaves after cutting back the ferts, you may be too close to the lights and suffering from heat stress.