Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Do different colours of weed ash determine the quality of the weed?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Roflmazturr, Sep 16, 2008.

1. lol at the people who think your just not burning the weed enough.

ive had weed leave completely black ash after cashing it, while others leave a bright white ash.

it wont determine the quality, just whats in it.

2. Get real with that shit ***** dont come at me like that.

Im statin what im seein. I dont know the truth and cant say and DID NOT SAY what im saying is right but i stated what i had seen.

Ive grown a couple times so i aient a expert on that shit but i know alot about trees and been smokin for a long time.

And ive seen ive had white ashes and gray ashes off the SAME blunt.

3. you are on a forum about drugs

4. here's something you guys can all consider. a long time ago when i was first learning to grow, i used to overfertilize. even though i would flush at the end with just water, it didn't matter. the plant was overfertilized. that stuff would never burn. it wouldn't even stay lit half the time, always leaving a black ash. many years later, same strain, the transition from soil to coco, and the transition from general fertilizers to things like flora nova and advanced nutrients, that same strain over 15 years later is still hands down one of the best strains i have ever seen, burns perfect. the ash is neither whote nor black. it's gray to me. closer to white than black though, that's for sure. and yes ive been to amsterdam and california many many times. all i can say is if it's black, it's overfertilized. it's also denser than just ash. it doesn't burn 100%. it's not just a color issue, you have to look at the texture of the ash. but even more importantly is the TEMPERATURE of the material burning and how its being burned. a joint that might leave behind ash from the paper as well? in a bowl scorched with a lighter? a vaporizer? these will also make a difference on what's left behind.

• Like Like x 1
  5. You are 100% COMPLETLEY RIGHT. The colour of the ash, simply determines weather or not it was grown "correctly". Weed can smell good, taste good, look good, but if it has black, flaky ash that doesnt stay lit, then i would have to pass on it. Right now i have purple kush, its fresh, but it Wont Stay lit due to the black ash. Chemicals are involved in this, the whiter the ash, the more pure the product, simple.

• Like Like x 1
  6. All im saying is,i dont give a fuck about how the ash feels,smells,looks or whatever. As long as i get high with my weed im fine as hell.

7. #27 TwztedElegance, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2010
    i've smoked schwag with white ash too :\

the stuff i'm smoking right now takes a LONG time and a lot of hits for it to turn all white/grey..

8. :laughing:

By the time it's all ash I don't have the ability to care anyways.

9. i burn it till theres no solid matter left then burn it a couple more times (i hate wasting any weed) then i dump it, i honestly never cared about the ash color because theres so many variables its hard 2 really tell..:smoking:

10. i heard if the ash turns white it means you have cancer

11. i know when u roll with ciggars and u have to much wrap on it its automaticly gonna turn greyish blackish...

12. If the bud was cured/flushed correctly it will leave a white and powdery ash. If not, it will be black and harsher and may crack/pop due to nutes being present.

13. I get mine from dispensaries (different ones, too) and all the kinds I've ever tried burned black.

14. #35 OuTLaW1986, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2011
    A friend once told me that I'm actually putting holes in my brain by smoking weed because they use chemicals to grow weed. Is this complete bullshit? I don't see how probably not safe chemicals (I'm assuming? I don't know shit about growing weed) can't be harmful to us?

EDIT: nevermind, I saw the original post date lol

15. does it really matter? just smoke it to determine the quality.

16. Weed that wasn't properly flushed tends to be harsher to smoke. Harsh smoke = no flavour & excessive coughing = less fun

17. This, you have to smoke it to get ashes of it...Also, it seemed to me that ashes got lighter the more you burned them, but I dunno. Never heard of it determining quality.

18. Ok guys let's talk about some science here. When u burn completely dried plant material, the first color u get is black. It can be cannabis, oak leaves, or even a willow tree leaf. If it doesn't have any moisture in it then it burns black first. Keep burning it and it will eventually turn white because you will eventually burn out all of the elements. If you get a leaf with complete plant moisture (the amount of water in the plant that keeps it alive) the first color you will see is white at the tip of the burning and fading to a black the further away from the flame you get on the plant material. Why does this happen? This is because of a different type of chemical reaction that happens when hydrogen and oxygen, (water) are burnt with the other materials that make up the plant matter. Let's remember this, everything is made up of chemical elements and if your surface layer were to be penetrated with extreme heat towards charding, you would turn black. That is because of the chemicals that make up your body are being burnt. However oxygen and hydrogen are both tasteless and odorless gases. When these gases are burnt you don't get black smoke like you would if you burnt copper or iron or many other elements because of density and metalic properties. The plant you grew has been grown with many different elemnts to make it a plant and please believe these elements play a roll in the chemical order and physiology. Iron, copper and other elements are natural elements and exsist and play a significant roll in producing plant material. Therefore making it a fact that they will exist in the final product no matter what you do, grown organically or synthetic. And I say say synthetic instead of chemically because organic growing uses natural chemicals and fertilizers use man made chemicals. If this final product lacks any moisture, during burning, it will produce a black ash. Balanced moisture will produce light grey kinda tanish fading to white ash. And if your getting white ash on the tip of your spliff but it keeps going out then you have too much H2O. No moisture you will get black ash. The taste may be slightly effected by the lack of moisture but it is definetly the smoothness of the smoke that suffers due to no h2o to buffer the other chemicals burning, not the potency. And this my friends is the truth.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Black ash = sprayed :(