Ideally what is the BEST* light spectrum for weed plants?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Chapter 4, Sep 5, 2008.

1. you got the bulbs only or a whole light kit

2. I have everything, but only the HPS bulbs will go unused. So only the lights are for sale If you want em. All 1000W. I never would have bought them if I had known that HPS is no good on digital ballasts.

3. #43 Philly, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011
    This is not true. Most every collective (or at least the legit ones) send test buds to a lab for full analisyis.... Here is a link to one of the larger labs where the strain I grow was tested.
    Grape Stomper Medical Marijuana Strain Review
    ... There are also other ones and the one that comes to my mind is Full Spectrum Labs.

EDIT - Just realized how old this thread was.... sorry for bringing it back from the dead WHERE IT BELONGS WITH ALL THE BAD INFO ABOUT HPS AND DIGITAL BALLASTS !!!!

4. Sampling one nug hardly qualifies as a "control"...

-Loki

5. Not a single lab that will test marijuana products has ANY form of state OR federal accreditation. I just got off the phone with a very nice lady at Full Spectrum Labs. She further confirmed that this is the truth nationwide.

Sorry if I don't put much stock in their results.

6. I never said they were backed by the Federal Government or any state agencies.... I simply stated that most good collectives send out the different strains to be tested so that they can be more informative to the customers or members of the club and to ensure that it is medical quality. They usually dont just put out anything and call it whatever the grower told them it was. You said there was no difference between medi and homegrown. You were also talking about comparing strains in your argument with another poster that was arguing with you about the bad info you posted on the HPS so I was giving you a way where both of you could send a sample out to and have them tested to see whos was grown better or whos was stronger. Why would you ever expect the Federal Govement to back such a lab when MMJ is not considered legal on a Federal level?? LMAO.

7. I was being facetious when I suggested Tex and I compare strains.

You stated that the difference between medical marijuana and buds grown for the black market are somehow different. That difference being the fact that they are tested by "labs". Labs that lack accredation of any kind on the STATE level. Yes, I expect that when a state implements a MEDICAL program, they would establish some protocol for testing and quality controll. No such standards exist on any level, not just federal.

We have these so called labs poppin up all over Missoula. Somehow I'm not surprised that just about every sample tested magically comes back with THC percentages of over 20%. I've seen and smoked these samples. More like 2%.

Sending your buds to unaccredited labs does nothing to differentiate between "medical marijuana" and regular old buds.

I went from being a black market street dealer, to a fully licensed, state sanctioned "medical caregiver" by simply sending in a piece of paper, a few bucks for a license, and subjecting myself to a background check. I don't know.... I guess that is as good as medical school.

And if you want to attack the info about HPS lights and digital ballasts, call the eye Hortilux testing facility in Mentor Ohio. Ask to speak to a technician, not an operator. Ask what all that research they did on the subject was about. I'm not the one who published the study almost four years ago.

8. Seems like you spen alot of time on the phone asking questions instead of learning for yourself. I have been growing cannabis for 12 years going on 13. I have used it ALL. I still use HO T5s for veg with 75% blue spectrum bulbs and 25% red. You can sit here and say what you want about what some person on a phone told you. I dont believe you because your info is pure fiction. I am not saying that it doesnt SOUND right.... I am telling you that it is flat out wrong. I flower with HPS from years of trial and error. Yeah you can flower with MH and you can veg with HPS but why would you want to do it backwards??? I am wondering why you would even begin to believe that you are right when there is 1000s of grow journals on here that prove you wrong. You are wrong.... flat out wrong. Like you said you were a "black market" street dealer before.... Now you are a "Caregiver" Why dont you do your patient a favore and flower his fuckin plants under an HPS bulb instead oh a fookin blue MH bulb??? I am done this argument with you because you are the type that is going to respond with another couple things you heard before. And you are never going to get it... never. And even when you find that you are wrong you wont ever admit it so this argument is over. Your makin yourself look foolish by arguing this so have at it.

As far as the lab is concerned again you speak down about them like you know what the fook you are talking about. Once again you do not. It all starts somewhere and MMJ is in its infancy in this country so no maybe all the regulations are not in place yet. All in time. But that is not my point.... My fuckin point is that if you sell MMJ to a collective in lets just say Colorado then that collective will have it tested before selling it to their members. My point is that you can not just send them some of your home grown garbage flowered under MH and tell them what you want to tell them. They will have it tested and broken down and then they will decide weather it is MEDICAL QUALITY and then if it is the details will be displayed on the menu similar to a nutrition guide for food. So there IS a difference between whatever you grow in your closet and the "MEDICAL QUALITY" marijuana that you would find in a collective. Damn man... Why are you trying to argue this by simply dismissing my point as if it doest matter just because you dont believe the labs are up to your standards. Weather you believe it or not it is being done is all I am saying. NO The state doesnt require it as of now but the collective protects themselves from trash bud that a piss poor grower would be trying to sell them. So YES there is a difference between MEDICAL BUD and street bud when you are purchasing it from a reputable collective. Go ahead and post how they are "so called labs" and try and discredit it all you want. I am posting FACTS and you .... like always ... are posting your feelings. No one gives a hoot about how you feel. They want facts. Not what you say someone on a phone said about something. If you have facts lets see them. You dont because your info is flawed as most opinions are.

PEACE

9. Man, you really don't understand a lot of things.

I dismiss your point because the labs don't meet ANYONE'S standards. That is what it means to be accredited; you meet various requirements to gain accreditation. So you are just paying people to smoke your weed, trusting them to test it, and then trusting them to give you accurate results. Sure there are a few labs that may greatly exceed any requirements for accreditation, but to suggest that they are in any way the norm is simply ignorant. Most are scammers looking to make a buck on this bullshit "medical" industry.

We don't have collectives, and you can't go into a shop and sell weed to another caregiver in Missoula county. The numbers posted for cannabinoid content are simply taken off the breeders websites. Attitude will give you those "totally legit" numbers on just about every strain they sell, as will most other banks.

I have yet to read a single fact you have posted in this exchange. Please list them in point fashion and I will take them apart.

The more I read and re-read your rant, the dumber it gets.

The State of Montana defines my home grown marijuana as MEDICAL grade. It is exactly the same as the bud I grew before I was a state sanctioned federal criminal. That is a fact.

You pay people to "test" your weed with no proof that they did anything. That is a fact.

You must be a big fan of Extenze pills. God knows the labs that did the testing on that stuff are legit. Jimmy Johnson says so, so it has to be true!

10. /pulls up chair

Goddamn Stinkbomb, I'm really starting to like you... You got moxy, son!

-Loki

11. Do you know if there have been studies on how to find out which light frequency suits what shade green your plant is? Or do you have any practical solutions as how to test for this? (for both vege and flowing stages)

12. Are 3000 flourescents ok for keeping a mother in veg perpetually and is 18/6 optimal timing?

13. #53 clos3tgrow3r, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2011
    this first graph is of photosynthesis (what wavelengths our plants consume and how much of each)

[​IMG]

AND THESE ARE OF THE BULBS WE USE

NOTE: with all these graphs a "spike" does not necessarily mean more. It is the area under the line that counts for a specific wavelength range

CMH rocks(ceramic metal halide)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

compared with MH

[​IMG]

and HPS

[​IMG]

14. Ya know, whether you talk in NanoMeters or Degrees Kelvin it all pretty much comes down to the immutable laws of the physical universe.

We can not even begin to replicate the energy and spectrum given off by the sun.

IMHO, the absolute best we can do is give the plant the light needs at the time that it needs it. :) We know that during the veg state, that plants like and do well with light in the blue range (480~510nm or 6K). In flower the focus shifts to 600nm and 3K.

As we move away from wavelength specific into broad spectrum it get way more interesting. If we want to build a lamp which provides a full spectrum at acceptable levels of brightness versus power consumption - this endeavor is way more intensive than building a wavelength specific bulb. I like to think about it like a speaker. It is easy to build a speaker which makes a sound at one frequency, but building a speaker which is accurate throughout the entire audio spectrum is a whole different game.

My experience in growing tells me that for me to get those nice tight nugz, I need to give the plant optimum lighting. We all know those budz down under the canopy don't get as nice as the ones on top of the canopy. So, which lamp is better? I think that technology is making rapid improvements in ballasts and that in turn is fueling more research and development into lamps. How good the resultant budz are is a very subjective thing. Personally, I think that a good grower with a "shitty" lamp will have better budz than a noob with a "state of the art" lamp. I use a Pulse Start Metal Hallide lamp and my results are more than acceptable

:wave:

15. If you are asking 3000K, then the answer is no.

To keep a mother, you would want more of a blue light - 6000K

18/6 works well.

16. Cool, thanks. Are T8's ok? And about how many bulbs per mother is optimal? Also, is it necessary to keep the mothers in a tent?

17. #57 GrapeStreet, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2011
    Does it produce light? Then yes, it's ok to grow your plant with. Fluorescents don't put off enough heat (T5, T8, T12 included) to worry about.

The rest of your questions don't belong in the Advanced Growing Technique forum. They've already been answered in the beginners forum, or they're a matter of opinion, and not specific enough for a succinct answer.

Sorry...that's mean. Forgive me.

How many? More...always more. Maximize.
    Moms in tent? If you want...the key is not to induce flowering (>10hr. of darkness). After that it doesn't matter if the things in a tent, a yert, a teepee, an adobe hut, or under your bed...as long as there's a light source to keep if from flowering.

--
    The temperature of the light has absolutely no bearing on the vegetative state. This is controlled 100% by an internal "dark-period" timer. If you use a green light bulb...they might die. Otherwise you're fine.

Blue tends to lower internodal growth over the same time period, but this can vary from strain to strain. This may be what you want...it may not be. It's not an exact science, and it's not a "specific method" and there is no "best way" It's just doin' what you do with what you got and gettin what you get...there's too many variables to say there's a "right" way to do anything.

Some day, I'll be growin' in the dark 24/7. Someday...soon.

--
    PAR - Photosynthetically Active Radiation

18. #58 rthuba, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2011
    I have grow cfl's for the veg room: 125w and a couple 68w's from homedepot.
    Then they go to 600hps with the ufo leds on the edges pointing in.
    no science behind it, just figure it can't hurt and it 'seems' to be thicker'er.

I bought the green light to work during dark times in case of emergency.

19. SERIOUSLY this is a dumb question get your mind off this and think how big you want your op to get i give a fuck about spectrum how many of you have actually pumped over 5 gs a month out of your room month after month????

if you aint doin it big then your worrying bout the wrong stuff any big timeer will tell you if your caught flowering without at least 1000 watt hps your using the wrong light period

lots of you should do some real growing and pumping bud before you school on a dumb subject
    point is

this is is irrelevant just get yourself a couple thousands and get off your ass and grow

20. A Caustic Agnostic...:eek:

If your answer is, "Don't think about it, just do it" I'd go back to doing it and stay off the forums. :wave:

That response was in no way helpful to anyone. :confused:

--
    I hope I never smoke your careless commercial crop.