Ideally what is the BEST* light spectrum for weed plants?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Chapter 4, Sep 5, 2008.

1. #21 jess.diamond, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
    1) Photosynthesis is FAR from the same between plants, when it comes to the most efficiently used wavelengths. So, that's 100% wrong.
    2) A Kelvin rating doesn't tell a light's specific wavelengths. So, that's 100% wrong, too.
    3) I did explain *exactly* what Kelvins measures, but maybe I didn't do so clearly enough for you. So, I'll put 100% of the blame for that on me, even if the explanation was perfectly clear to me.

So, if you didn't understand my explanation of Kelvins, then I'll try again for you. A Kelvin rating is *JUST* the average of the visible light wavelengths. So, Kelvins tell you nothing whatsoever about which specific wavelengths of light are hitting your plants. A 3,000 Kelvin light could have 40% of it's light at 400nm and 40% at 700nm, and 20% somewhere else. And you'd have one very crappy grow light.

So, Dr. Green, let's put this all together concisely. If someone tells you that they have a great 2,200K CFL for growing cannabis, first ask them for that specific light's spectral graph, so you can see for yourself if that specific CFL nicely targets the nanometer lengths you prefer. Otherwise, you're just guessing -- as I stressed in my previous post.

Maybe do some reading about phosphor coatings, spectral charts, and the intricate relationships between specific light frequencies and a plant's cellular functions.

Take Care,

~jessie

2. alternate 660 nm and 730 nm lights for half an hour each with ir wattage being quite low for stretch then much higher after buds have set for 17-18 hours and put a blue 415-430 nm or ceramic metal halide on for 6-7. this will double thc in any strain. called martian meds.:smoke:

3. See this is what the internet does to people
    eveeryone thinkss they are right but in all reality
    ITS ALL HOW YOU GROW IT

the Sun does not emit different colors through seasons only plants use different spectrum's so use a hps it has the most spectrums available to a plant for artificial light
    there is no such thing as a better light that is where the companies keep fooling all the growers!!!
    "come buy my light its better" blah blah blah

but in truth a plant can only use a certain range of sprectums and the widest range to work with (most productive light ) would be the hps
    do not settle for less..

4. #24 MDICE, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Chlorophyll B Has a peak on 430nm and 660nm

Chlorophyll A Has Peaks on 470nm and 632nm

Carotenoids are build by 430-480nm

SO , Ideally u want 4 specific colors + A light that cover the 430nm-480nm spectrum.

SOLUTION :

430nm "ultra blue" leds
    470nm "Pure Blue" leds
    632nm "Super-Red" leds
    660nm "pure-blue" leds​

RESULT:

[​IMG]

+
    AQUASTAR has a peak around 450nm

Tadaa

> A Much More Perfect Spectrum Than HPS or MH

MH :
    [​IMG]

HPS:
    [​IMG]

... Analyses

>> http://www.420greenroom.net/blogs/entry/SPECTRUM-ANALYSES

... Blog

5. chlorophyll Reflects Cyan/Green/Yellow/Organge Colors more than
    Violet/Blue/red/deep-red/ Because The light they reflect they need Less

> If you where to filter out this light , it would grow just as awesome

No plant is perfect , neither is the sunlight... the plant just adapted a lil

and now the technology to grow energy effecient is available

, and theres energy enough , so More Lumens On The Colors That Are Important

Led's are getting cheaper every year .... its only a matter of time

6. [quote name='MDICE']chlorophyll Reflects Cyan/Green/Yellow/Organge Colors more than
    Violet/Blue/red/deep-red/ Because The light they reflect they need Less

> If you where to filter out this light , it would grow just as awesome

No plant is perfect , neither is the sunlight... the plant just adapted a lil

and now the technology to grow energy effecient is available

, and theres energy enough , so More Lumens On The Colors That Are Important

Led's are getting cheaper every year .... its only a matter of time[/QUO

like i said hps the only way to go
    all the other crap doesnt matter until they put out better lights but the discussion ends there
    hps is the best and the other sub-inormation doesnt really matter its that simple

there is no best light spectrum for weed all we see is green so the reflect back of the other colors is irrelevant
    its like smokin weed
    you cant take thc out and get the same effect// its all a collective prcess

meaning the plants use diff specs in dif amounts at dif times
    so just to say a plant performs best in this spec at all times is just plain dumb

so like i said the best spectrum available is through hps

7. 2600 kelvin which is the red end of the spectrum is ideal. You can find these in T5 lights which are nice and cheap. This is only for flowering. Then for veg state I would go with a light that puts out 4000 kelvin which is the cooler light. This is just information I have learned about light spectrum in my astronomy class/botany classes.

8. What are you talking about? HPS puts out a narrow spectrum in the yellow and red range. Metal Halides put out a much broader spectrum. Just about everything else you say is incorrect as well.

Light reaching the earth does change by season. Not because the sun's output changes, but because the earth moves through orbit around the sun on a tilted axis.

9. no your very incorrect and from your words im assuming you have never grown seems like your just speaking wat you read and have no first hand exp cuz if you did you would know all those charts and info dont mean crap and a hps is the best thing for your plants
    have you ever grown with a blue cfl?? a red cfl ?? a hps??? a metal halide???? im assuming not cuz i used all these bulbs and found hps is the best from first hand exp.... Idc buy a metal halide and flower with it just cuz the "spectrum is broader" and see how much less of yield you get and how your plant doesnt produce compared to a hps

so ill ask you what are you talking about???? do you have any first hand exp. growing bud ??? cuz your coming at me wrong but any (real) grower will tell you hps is the best light of our time to this point til other technology upgrades

10. #32 Poindexterous, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
    If I may add my two cents, I have long observed total lumens to be far more relevant for both yield and quality than precise spectrum. I've played around with various lighting and nothing has ever improved upon a good old HPS 1000 bulb with it's 145,000 lumens. Even an MH 1000 with it's superior spectrum yet just 20% less lumens could never match the HPS results. So regardless of what bulb sellers say about "usable spectrum" plants themselves show me that they prefer lumens.

11. which is what i siad in my first comment ..........thank you for being another grower who knows what he is talking about

12. I have grown with HO T5 lights in the red and blue and ultraviolet spectrums, and air cooled VHO lights as well. I have also grown with Eye Hortilux enhanced spectrum Super HPS, SolarMax gold MHT, Sunmaster's warm and cool bulbs. Obviously, I've used the entire line of sun pulse bulbs, including the commercial line. I have also experimented with the entire line of Kessil 150 LED lights.

I am a medical marijuana grower licensed by the state of Montana. I grow buds for a living, so yes, I have experience. I have done comparative grows when I mix HPS and MH (3 of each) as opposed to running pure sun pulse MH
    Lights. There are now about ten 1000w super HPS bulbs back in the package, most likely never to be fired again.

I am a real grower. All day, everyday.

You strike me as the type of grower who has read zero books on growing, and rely on the mostly bad information here at GC and other silly forums. These places are strictly entertainment for me. I have not used a single shred of info from anything on GC on any of my grows.

I don't care what you do. Blow up your monster buds with your HPS light all day long. But if you want to attack my grows, come up here and we can do a sthink off pepsi challenge.

13. i rely on no bad advvice and i know that because i AM NOT a medical grower so the masses tell me my bud is delicious and i have used diff types of light my choice of hps will never change because of anther piece of bad info. and wher i get my info is irrelevant i have a green thumb i can have a challenge all day come down to texas buddy :smoke:

14. #36 StinkBomb, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
    Jesus dude. Do you want to compare pics of nuggets? Or how bout our balls?
    Should we do a strain comparison list... who grew what better. Again, I don't give a fuck what you do. If HPS grows get your dick hard, then by all means... rock a chubby.

Just as a side note, you don't know much about the medical scene if you think that medically grown buds don't hit the street on the regular.

You see, medically grown bud is exactly the same as homegrown bud. The only difference is that you call it medical weed. There are NO industry controls that separate commercial bud from medical bud on any level. At least not in montana.

15. Stop fighting guys, I'm too fragile for this and might start crying.

No seriously though, I have wondered if the Sun Pulse MH's were significantly different and really better than regular MH's ? My regular 1000MH's have not beat my HPS's so far but if the Sun Pulse's are better then perhaps I'd give one a try.

So StinkBomb, to clarify you're saying the Sun Pulse's have been the best lighting you've used ? And if so which spectrum(s) Sun Pulse's have been best for you ?

16. smoke a j and calm ya nuts ill keep it on the topic like i said hps lights are the best to use all the other off topic nonsense is childish

17. #39 Loki7, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2010

That's completely backwards... Blue light has more energy than red light... Answers.com - Which puts off more energy red light or blue light

The shorter the wave length, the higher the energy. That's why UV is so damaging, it has a lot of energy.

Ok, here my take on light. Of course, light is a main player in photosynthesis, but it also has other more important funtions... ie. dictating vegetative/flowering growth, shade response and cryptochrome stimulation...

People argue about HPS vs MH... The spectrums are very close, but MH will give you slightly better cryptochome response because of the extra blue...

I see people saying you need red light for flowering and I wonder what they're smoking. I put a mother plant under all blue LEDs on 24/0 and it flowered on me as fast as her clones under T5Hos on 12/12. Red light, by itself, keeps plants in a vegetative state.

Red light and far red light, together, tell the plant how much it should stretch. The higher the far red to red ratio is, the more the plant will stretch... ie. 100 parts red to 1 part far red (100:1) will stretch less than a ratio of 20:1 or 5:1...

Far red, by itself, triggers flowering, but any red light at all mostly cancels this effect and the stretching effect takes over.

Blue light, as mentioned above, stimulates cryptochrome which causes stoma to open, allowing your plant to grow faster. The lack of blue light is telling the plant it's under the noon sun and to expect it to be hotter than normal, so close stoma to conserve water. In an indoor grow, this is a bad thing.

Lights, however, do more for us than photosynthesis and trigger growth responses and we mostly take it for granted, but lights -or rather the heat they produce- plays a very important role in creating a proper VPD (Vapour Pressure Deficit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) People that have failed LED grows may or may not be aware that a poor VPD was probably a contributing factor.

-Loki

18. Don't worry man. I'm smoking plenty of dank. I have a shit load of Eye Hortilux 1000W Super HPS bulbs I'll sell you. Hell, three of them have never been out of the box, and the rest only ran one flowering cycle. I'll never use them again. I'm serious, I'll sell them cheap as shit. Even the brand new ones. I get them at cost to begin with, so I'll sell even sell them super cheap.