Finishing times, Photoperiod, Latitude, and how it all works!!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by dankohzee, Aug 16, 2008.

2. depending on the strain. you need to look for stuff developed for the equatorial regions, not so much the cali or dutch pot but african, maybe? might help, otherwise, it might JUST flower or keep vegetating getting taller and taller

3. what is a sticky? I'm guessing it keeps the thread at the top but I'm new to this forum stuff.

4. If I understand this, flowering begins when the dark period starts to get longer. I want to start some cuttings indoor at the end of winter and grow them outside this summer. I veg inside using 18/6. So if I transplant outside, say, May/Jun, the dark period will instantly be longer than 6hr they get inside. Will this cause my plants to think the nights are getting longer and start flowering?

5. great article but, the Sun doesn't move, Galileo made that discovery in the earth 1600s. Maybe some folks just don't know any better, but the Earth is tilted and rotates on it's own axis.

6. #46 dankohzee, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2011

Haha! It does if you grow ganja, buddy. Fucking sun moves all over the place and I find it damn near impossible to keep my ladies directly underneath!!! Thanksfor filling me in on the latest science, however. :D I'll make note of it;)

I didn't write the how it all works post, so you're quoting the wrong person, but I think you misunderstand the author. He says the sun contrlols the photo period. In other words, the amount of time the sun is present in the sky is what controls photo period. I'm pretty sure backcountry knows the earth doesn't revolve around the sun, troll. I'm sure he was speaking figuratively.

• Like Like x 2

7. You should read the thread then. It's purpose was to answer the very question you ask.

8. I read the full write up, I know you didn't write it, but you posted it, and I replied, sorry if you thought I was referring you.
    I was just surprised no one else picked up on that :D

thanks for posting it though!

9. My plants have already been flowering for quite a few weeks now, im in humboldt co.

10. This would be helpful if i had any clue on how to apply it to my situation....

11. You seem like you can read just fine. Is there something I can help with?

12. #53 dantheman3, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011
    So I have a question! This post is fantastic I should say to start with. I know that obviously it differs by strain and I hear that plants with more indica genes generally flower earlier hence why my cheeses and super sour og are showing sex. Where as my kalashnikova and superbud and still just veging away. But my purple powers are also showing now which I find strange but I guess that this is coz they are bred for the UK climate. Ok so that was a bit of a ramble but the question is really is there anyone who could try and tell me approximatly how long after showing sex these ladies will start to flower fully? I was under the impression that they didn't show sex till they were almost ready to flower? Honestly I don't mind how long they take my only problem is that coz I was so eger to start my babies that now they are 6ft monsters and they are still growing fast. One of them has already hit the greenhouse roof! So question 2 is is this hitting the roof already gonna ruin the buds once they start forming? Coz I expect once they start to flower they will have another growth spurt.

Sorry about the ramblings I'm just really excited by how well my first grow is going!

Cheers in advance

13. thanks, really interesting

14. You are gonna need to do some lst work on those branches that are touching already, mold magnet, bro. They will start to flower fully depending on the time of day and light source. If it's shady, maybe a little earlier but not much, I have some outside that have been flowering for 2 weeks now while one that I moved outside (she was getting too tall) has revegged, started growing out single leaves again! She had been in flower for over 2 weeks so that really sucks ass, but as they say "it's too late baby, now, it's too late" so I got to make do with whats what. Depending on your location, they should be starting if not already in full flower, hours of daylight are down to less than 14 now

15. Cheers man that's useful. I'll do some bending tomorrow and see if I can get some pics up in a new thread. Thats a shame about your re vegging, so the single leaf thing what's that all about? I thought somthing had gone wrong when they started doing that!

16. Actually, outdoors, a plant needs to get up to 10 hours of darkness to begin flowering, not 12

17. :) You heard him. actually it doesnt need either.

18. The photoperiod times that are ideal for your plant depends upon the variety.
    I have seen plants flower well under 13 hrs light and 11 hrs darkness.
    But these are mainly a few types of mostly indica plants
    the sativa cross plants are somewhat different and have different needs
    There were many times when these plants grown under a 12/12 cycle just did not perform. they took an age to start flowering and after 6 weeks had not developed more than the smallest of buds. and all the time they would just get taller and taller.
    Other plants would start to bud but the top of the plant would then become very bushy and resort back to vegetative growth.
    if you have a similar problem, these plants should be started on plower at 12/12
    Then after 3 days change to 11.5(light)/12.5(dark)
    reduce daylight to 11 hrs after 1 week. Then after another 4wks reduce to 10.5 hrs
    and finally to 10 hrs for the last 2 weeks.
    This will then elliminate the above problems.

19. Thanks for your input man, but this thread is about outdoor gardening. Its not hard to figure out when your plants will flower when you just flipped the switch to 12/12:rolleyes: