What does it take to start a head shop...

Discussion in 'General' started by Deleted member 95373, Jul 31, 2008.

1. ++rep! MBA FTW bro

Edit: :p sorry bro gave out too much today

2. I think a very important part a retail store is a GOOD ONLINE STORE also.

3. Having an online store with your brick and mortar front is probably a little risky in the States. Operation Pipedreams anyone?

4. You'll probably need:

- Grade A Business Plan
    - Collateral for the lending bank
    - Loan
    - Insurance
    - Storefront
    - Great Location
    - Distributors
    - A glass blower if you want custom pieces, otherwise ADS Distribution, RooR Distributors or anyone else can take care of you.

5. i lived in naples for a lil bit, seemed like a rich/retirement type place, so idk if you would have much bussiness.

6. Your going to need to think of things other than just smoking utensils to sell. This way you expand your market in your small town and have the possiblity for more income.

ie Open a hookah bar that has a backroom to sell hookahs, bongs, pipes, etc. or have food served there. Something thats more than just selling glass because of your small town.

7. He was talking about the quality of the town. Not how nice the people were.

Theres an idea.

8. headshops in the south have a high turn over rate.

9. I dont know why everyone is worrying about populations size... my town is only 7,000 ppl and it has its own dispensary and headshop. The next town over has 3 of its own within a 10 block area

10. lol, i was just about to point that out

11. Go to business school.

12. ok let me give you the best advice you can get here. trust me, im a businessman. dont do it. most businesses fail for a reason. you need a FUCKLOAD of money. i do tanning salons, and one store cost me at least 300 grand, and thats here in indianapolis. i cant imagine floridas prices. im assuming you probably dont have half a milli sitting around to drop into this, so say you were to do it, you would have to get a loan. you probably wouldnt get approved, and if you somehow did, you would NOT be able to repay it. your life would be over. sorry to be blunt but just remember all this. ive seen more than a few people ruin their lives over this stuff.

13. i wish i could open a headshop here in PA

unfortunately operation pipe dreams kinda fucks me out of it (illegal to sell/own glass peices)

mine would be kinda like urs... sell all kinda shit, including cigarettes n magazines n shit

14. What percentage of business's fail (and close) after the first year? Someone must know this.. Be prepared to lose a lot of money.

15. 50 percent fail in first year, 95 fail within 5. trust me, dont do it.

16. According to the U.S. Small Business Administration, over 50% of small businesses fail in the first year and 95% fail within the first five years. This is all up to speculation though because the U.S. Census Bureau reported that 76 percent of all small businesses operating in 1992 were still in business in 1996. In fact, only 17 percent of all small businesses that closed in 1997 were reported as bankruptcies or other failures. The other terminations occurred because the business was sold or incorporated or when the owner retired.

Small businesses are a big gamble, and it makes since to say that you don't start making money until you've spent what needs to be spent on it and the income ends up paying for the investment, and you have to make it that far. You say you live in Naples, that is a retirement community, where is your big group of devoted potheads that would continue to go to this store and buy your merchandise. I don't think Naples is a very good place to put a headshop in, look at the more industrial cities im Florida and cities that are more populated with young people in Florida.

17. sorry man a little late

18. #38 emailmyfriend, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2010
    Location & Selection

I have 3 close business associates that own a Head Shop in Akron OH, Columbus Ohio, and Melbourne FL.

All three are very successful and been around for an average of 20yrs. They are all one street from a college campus and each have over 200 quality styles of pipes, 40 styles of dugouts, etc.

If your opening a store and have found a location close to a university, start researching suppliers. Look on Tradekey.com or Alibaba.com and find a USA supplier selling assorted lots of wholesale glass pipes, dugouts, etc. You dont need 10pc of each style. You just 40-50 styles of one piece each; the glass will seem more valuable to your customers.

I've also seen some "head shop starter kits" online. Good Luck!

19. Hey Mike did you start your head shop? If you did let me know I am trying to start one here in Ohio I have the same thing you had. Thanks Hilda

20. Also curious if OP ever started a head shop