Religion: Crutch for the Weak

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by PastyWhitey, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Let me take you into the world of a fantastic novel, one that depicts a perscuted savior, a doomsday prophecy, and a generalized idea of how to live ones life.

This novel is filled with vivid battle scenes, and depictions of evil creatures. Tyrant leaders and mind-numbingly excessive persecution of a specific race.

The Next Harry Potter you ask? No. Its the bible. Though I can see where you got the confusion.

However, everyday, BILLIONS of people of all walks of life use this novel as a guide for their lifes. They use to explain the best of times and the worst of times. They use it as motivation, perceived pretection, even as a threat. Those people do not realize what they are really using it as, a mental crutch.

The fact that these billions of people have to look upon a "divine" power for guidence simply shows an undenieable proof of an adolescent behavior, relying on another for direction. Those who must look upon this higher being for direction are meandering throughout life as listless waygoers, minds weak from years of indirect brainwashing.

It starts at a young age in the Christain way of life. Loud-mouthed, Merecedes driving "preachers" spouting horrifying tales of eternal damnation, rejection at Heaven's Gates, and eternities spent in the fiery depths of Hell. Yet in the same breath, spin tales of an all knowing, always forgiving God, as long as you accept his son, Jesus Christ as your Lord and savior. At that point, the feeble mind of a youth has no choice, but to be scared into accepting this savior. They does as all youths normally do, and cave into the peer pressure. They take the plunge in the waters of baptism and emerge a "clean" soul.

They parade throughout life as devout church goers, ignoring the obvious truths placed before them. Even when the "Holy" Men, whom are regarded as the only direct contact with this pure "God", are revealed to be rapists, theives, and liars, they press on. Even when innocent die everyday, in plain view of the supposed all knowing and caring God, they press on. Even when no proof of this god can be supplied, they press on. They throw around such words as belief and faith. Compassion and caring, Yet have waged numerous wars against innocent people, all in the name of God.

It is when one really assesses these ideas does one relize that those who are of a devout religious faith, are weak in the mind. They do not possess the ability to lead their lives on their own, and must use relgion, and God as a crutch as a means to continue throughout life. Poll 100 devout Christains, and ask them what they would do without God in their lifes. I'm taking bets on 95% saying, "I do not know if I could manage" or something to that extent.

It is only when humans take control of their own lifes and their own minds will true freedom happen.

2. Sad thing is that if you show this to 90% of the world they will think you are crazy...

3. I could not agree more Pasty. Now I am just anticipating the usual apologetics from believers. My cannon is BTW loaded and ready to shoot down little sparrows :D

(yes, that was a metaphore. Advicing against using heavy artillery against small targets. But then again, it seems to work, and though religious claims is like minor turbulence in a tornado, those that believe in it are rather big targets, thus the shotgun approach rather than the aimed full metal jacket. Call it weight of evidence if you wish. Penetrates superstion always, leaving it full of holes. Science on the other hand is like kevlar. It is proven resistant to bullshit :p

Just using a metaphore that gun-happy americans can relate to :D And in the interest of full disclosure, I do not own a gun, or intend to. And I certainly do not wish to kill anyone. You never know what someone might report me for, so I just have to make that perfectly clear)

4. You spin religion from a petty pessimistic perspective. Yes, some "holy" men turn out to be evil people, but most are good men who believe in the bible and want to help people. Church from what i have seen is about fellowship and community and a kind of crutch or support system for people on hard times. Do i believe in Christianity? No. Can i appreciate the good as well as the bad that comes from it? Yes.

5. I agreee. Great read.

Another thing that bothers me about many Christians is that they do not care about NOW. It's all about eternal salvation after death. These people are wasting their time knocking on people's doors, preaching about damnation, and doing church work for their own 'salvation' rather than doing what Jesus did and, you know, helping others. I know some Christians who are so wrapped up in the thought of Heaven, that they don't do much besides go to church, pray, and wait for God to call them home. Yes, some of these people are excited about dying just to live forever in heaven.

Why live a half-assed life out of fear of place that may or may not exist? Why live a half-assed life out of greed of heavenly riches that may or may not exist?
    Instead, live for improving and helping others NOW. We know that this moment exists.

6. i believe he took the euphemisms out of religion and laid it bare for what it is...

just because some people do good because of it doesnt have anything to do with its validity in reality...and there is no reason to believe those people wouldnt be good without religion, and many examples how any false information about reality can eventually be harmful.

i agree religion was needed for our species to get where it is today, but that doesnt mean that we still need it...we should have grown out of it like a baby with a security blanket

7. There will be a day when everybody realizes this. But by then a new crutch will develop.

8. I like this.

9. Religion: Opiate for the masses.

10. I couldn't agree more. Religion is crutch for the weak.

And thank God for religions coz without them the weaks won't be able to stand.

11. Thank's god :)

12. I am so mind fucked by this.

There's an apostrophy 's after 'Thank'...

What does that mean????

13. Thread was dead for two and a half years...

I believe in resurrection

14. Really??? God damn...

I had no idea...

15. 1. I'm burnt

2.You said thank god in a thread against his existence. :D
    , but i was just doing as i was told and "thanking" god.

16. 3. Thanks for your kind explanation. I needed that...

I'm kind of baked too, so... excuse me if I'm a bit slow...

Ah... I see...

You were thanking the gods...

I see I see.

Ok.

:smoke:

17. Individuals are smart, People are stupid

Spirituality is cool, Religion is not

18. #18 tHe LoNLy StOnR, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2011
    Why the anger? Don't tell me you were dragged to church as a young one, you rebel you. These christians that you persecute [ironic] never claimed to be perfect now have they, they're just walking this everwinding road we call life. And if they need a little help [These so called, mental crutches] so be it, as long as they keep on walking through the pain and hardships. By the way I can tell you need it too.

Look at this universe, and tell me it wasn't created by a higher power. Just look around; perfect, white, sandy beaches, the sound of waves fills the summer air while the sound of seagulls help you relax and forget all your worries, flowers in all the colours of the rainbow, with odors so enchanting that you can't deny your looking for your purpose and moping around won't help.

I'm an atheist but I still believe in a higher order. This univese was built by a magnificent entity and if this is just one of his creations then I can't wait to see his others. Not that I'm in a rush to go but just think how forgiving he is.

"Why do we fall Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up", I just love that one.

On a side note, my psychic powers tell me OP is a, no offense, intelligent, lonely, virgin, drug addict looking for a higher power, lost in a sea of confusion, but there's still hope, talk to someone, we're here to help each other walk this lonely road. Walk on my friend.

There's no need to be disrespectful, dude. -JD

19. I believe in Mother Nature. The fates. Something or someone created existence, I have no clue what that power(s) may be but I have faith that one day I'll get the answers I'm seeking. I have faith in hope and I find hope in everything even hate.

20. wow another religion bashing thread..these have become so common on GC that its almost getting old...I can totally understand not agreeing with something but to bash the entire idea is lame..I see so many people on this site act like science has every single thing known to man figured out :rolleyes:.. At the end of the day I suppose you can hate on other peoples beliefs all you want it really doesn't put you that much further in life.

peace:smoke: