After the Harvest - A Guide to Drying and Curing

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by nugglord_420, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Just harvested two ounces dry weight on one plant, first grow, papaya using this (and a 400 watt hps) Thanks for the perfect thread

2. So I have now tried 2 methods or drying and curing...
    One: 4 day hang no fan leaves snap but not brittle stem... after hit the jars. To moist. Took the better part of 6 weeks in jars to dry proper
    Two: 6 day hang with fan leaves. Stem almost I say almost brittle. Hitt the jars lil moisture came back. Took soild month cure. Stinkier tastier nugs imo..... this was a total of 15 plants, 4 photos harvest 1&1/2 p, 11 autos caught 1/2 p from...

3. #203 mmmbongo, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2013
    Awesome, thank you! :)

This is my process:

When you start harvesting in the day depends on how much you have, But I would recommend doing this earlier in the plants day. To be ready at least 2 hours before the lights go off (when the humidity drops out of the air).

Flush the plant when it is nearly ripe with 3 or 4 times the volume of the pot.

Allow the pot to dry back to watering level, and then leave it for a further 2-5 days to ensure the plant has low levels of water in it.

Separate the branches from the main kola (It's nice to try and preserve a giant bud, even if it is just getting ground up all the same!).

Hang the branches upside down for about a couple of hours, just to get the leafs to settle in an easier to prune position.

Start trimming all the leafs off! Collect the trim etc

Get one or two single sheets of newspaper, open it out and tape your buds to it (By the stems!! lol), evenly spaced. Layer these upon each other and use another sheet to bind these sections together. hang this up in your grow room - The newspaper helps act as a wicking layer, protects the buds from light, protects the buds from heat and protects the buds from direct fan contact which closes up the stomata and slows drying down.

Leave them hanging for 2-7 days (depending on climate), but check every day.
    If you find your bud is drying too quickly try using 2 layers of newspaper (blocks more heat). If you find it is going too slowly try using less sheets. I use 1-2 always.

When it is firm/a bit crispy, but still not clean snapping stem (snap, but splinter snap) pop it in the jars. Burp and inspect every day.

There are a couple of days during the whole proccess where I always feel i've completely messed up, where that hay smell is prominent. This subsides after about 3 days of burping for me. But it is a horrible couple of days lol. And then the sweetness kicks in :p

Basically what OP said but I thought I'd support it :D

Happy harvesting! :D

4. I think ill give this a go next round...

Makes sense to me...

5. I've just edited my post. Forgot about curing!

Also never dry in big plastic bags. It makes it go weirdly firm and dense, and loses most of its flavour. Glass glass glass!

6. still excellent advice almost 5 years later - I have this printed to use as a reference

:hello:

7. Hey all, I'm curing some Durban Poison but can't get the rh to drop. For a few days now it hovers around 68rh. Jar opened, out of jar same issue. Anyone experience this problem before?

8. bumping this thread,because of various reasons.

9. Very helpful information! Thank you! :hello:

10. #210 FreedomFighter420, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2014
    Thanks for this thread. Great info mate!! I am actually looking for a do it yourself method to making a drying rack? I don't have the funds so I need to be a creative. I heard card boxes can be of good use just don't know what kind of string I'd need and what not. Can anyone point me in the right direction or have some setup ideas?

Sent from my Tree of Wisdom

11. another great informative post!...giving it the bump...