Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

MOLD on pot - photos

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Lebowski, May 29, 2008.

1. Does moldy weed have a special scent to it? If I notice my weed smelling a bit different, is that a sign?

2. If you catch mould before there are any truly obvious signs is it safe to cook with? (canabutter)

3. i see peoples grow rooms all the time with a little powder mold on the plants they just spray them a couple days before they pull them down its never been a big deal to smoke..

4. #504 Lebowski, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2010
    I haven't been here in a while :)

Glad to see the mold thread is still of use, I might also post some pics of weed with shards of glass in it (weed that was in a glass jar that broke).

Ok, no visible mold on the buds clearly, so the thread issue is your only problem.
    By your descriptions it seems the issue is minor, and is present but its not an infestation.
    My advice is mainly to try to tell if the hair is organic or synthetic- is it a polyester strand of something, a human hair, or a bug "silk" type strand.
    A lot of bud has synthetic and human/animal hair in it, a lot of it gets stuck to the plant while its growing in the grow room, and so the bud grows around it and the hair gets trapped inside a big nug. Then you pull apart this nug and the hair is clearly through the middle of it.
    You can tell when a grower has a messy/dirty grow room, or pets, because there is hair in their product. Its a common occurrence and I wouldn't worry too much, unless it became a big problem (don't smoke a hairball).

Just sounds like a grower with a dirty grow room.

Powdery mildew (white powder stuff) has a smell but its faint. Usually it makes the smell of the bud itself become muted (weaker), and has sort of a.... hard to describe pasty/plaster/bland smell. In my experience, PM bud always has a certain note in the smell, but its super faint, and if you haven't smelled a bunch of PM bud vs regular bud in the past, it would be hard to notice a difference.

Keep in mind if you keep weed for a while it changes smell. A lot of what makes weed smell nice are chemicals evaporating, after long enough (month or two), all the good smelling stuff is gone and your weed goes to smelling like hay. This doesn't mean mold has grown.

Depends how far the infestation is. A small-scale powdery mildew outbreak (just a tuft on a leaf here and there) is fine. If its a serious contamination (like visible from a few feet away) probably not.

Powdery mildew as it turns out is extremely common, and occurs in nearly any grow room that doesn't have stellar ventilation and humidity control.

Its almost like, on a pound of any great bud, if you look long enough, you'll find a leaf with some Pow on it.
    Its common, and its not THAT dangerous, but I think its good for people to know that its pow and not "AWESOME TRICHOMES DUUUUDE".

5. I take a long time to smoke pot, like I can have a gram last me usually more than a week or 2 since I usually only take a couple hits then im done. I moved so I bought an ounce to take with me since I have a hard time meeting new people. I took out about 2-3 grams and thats all ive smoked since I moved about 3-5 months ago. Yeah the little bag ive been smoking is pretty dry and i dont have a problem with it but I went to fill up the small stash from the mason jar thats been hiding in an old computer the whole time and seems like several nugs are a little moldy. Its not all over the place like the whole things covered in it but there are like 3mm in diameter fuzz spot. It just looks like webbing kinda and doesn't look like much just figures the biggest nug has like 3 small spots and the shake and most of the small ones dont. Id have to say im gonna smoke it (remove the spots) since thats all I got and I paid $130 for it. I was thinking about drying it out so that it wont grow any more. But really not having a job and not having school makes it hard to find a hookup or friends and I was thinking about growing if I really couldnt get any if I decide to leave my parents house. I guess it depends on the situation and if you really wanna smoke it, maybe I'll remember this sometime in like a couple months and let every one know if I lived. Lol if that doesnt kill me and the mold stops growing that shit will last a year.

6. wait... if PS is post script, then what is ppss?

7. i went to the beach and kept a nice piece of pink abalone and put it in my pack. i also had my weed in there and my weed got loose..

when i took it out abalone dust was all over my weed

and i thought to myself, hmmmm abalone naturally produces asbestos and you need a particle mask to even work with it...

cleanned up my bud a little, looked good enough, and smoked it. if i get anything bad from asbestos over the next years i guess i'll know

8. Does moldy bud taste bad? I bought an O of some high mids, and now all i have left is the shake, and it is tasting really shitty compared to the rest of the O i have smoked.

I have no idea how old the bud is because my dealer buys in pounds, so he could have just been sitting on it for awhile, which means it could have grown mold right?

the bud doesnt look very pretty, but that could just be because of the fact that it's mids and old shake..

It surprisingly gets me high as shit though. haha. More then the actual nugs of mids that i had gotten.

9. All you have to do is find some condition that the bacteria on the mold would not survive but the THC in the trichomes would remain, e.g. Try putting it in the oven above 100C no bacteria can survive that, I'm not sure how much trichomes would remain though :D.

10. Mold can cause allergic reaction so if you smell the bud and u have a running nose it's a clear sign the bud has mold?

11. Okay, so without posting a pic, I just got some new bud from a friend two nights ago. And I'm checking it over and on all the nugs there are really small lil white dots all over. Could this be mold or am I paranoid and its Trichomes? I can try to post a pic if its needed.

O it smells good, no ammonia smell
    Thanks!

12. Im no expert but looks like you got some dank ass bud. The real dense white parts might be mold but would need a close picture probably, mold is like really thin hairs almost trichs have the knob on tob.

13. haha it is quite dank, i was just a little paranoid that the cluster in the bottom center may be the start of mold? no off scent about it, i would just rather get it out of my jar before it starts spreading.

14. #515 Inthedirt4good, Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2010
    There is a bunch of different mold of that'll grow on live growing bud and or in the the drying process and or even during the jaring burping process. Some is harmless some is not. Identification buy magnification will bring clarification to the approximation of infestation... with all luck you'll get some justification to your transaction expectation.

bud looks looks very nice.

15. what would happen if i smked with mold on my weed?

16. Those buds look immaculate to me man. I little mold won't hurt you as heat will torch it but you might taste it and I wouldn't make a habit of it.

17. If you're worried about your bud being moldy, give it to me. I'll happily consume it for you.

18. what about the smell and taste?