How long do seeds stay good?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Seeds Banks' started by thirdeyehigh420, Mar 22, 2008.

1. There is a sale on for 30 seeds of white widow, blueberry, and NL5 at this site
    http://www.highgrade-seeds.com/seedlist.html
    Its about 3/4 the way down in the green section.
    Any ways, i dont plan on planting them all at once, so if I do get this, is there a certain amount of time seeds stay good or are they like dormant until the right conditions have come?

2. Long time bro, if you keep them dry. Some people pack them in rice in a sealed jar and some pack them with silica gel, things that draw moisture out the air. They can last several years. I once read a report that some university germinated an ancient cannabis seed.

3. Yeah, keep them dry. I once got 10 seed from a chocolate thai bud, put them in a small baggie and left them in a box for a month, and when I went to germinate them I had 0% success. I think it was too humid.

4. Yesterday for the hell of it I looked around the edge of my room where the carpet meets the wall, found a seed thats been there for months probably and its already germinated. Now i just gotta hope its from a good bag.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Yeah, i found a article at my bois place that said kept in the right conditions, you could grow a todays seeds in 15-20 years or more. That would be cool as shit though, cuz think about it, put them in an airtight case and put them away, then in 10-20 years take them out, provided you didnt forget about them, and you could grow some classic shit!!! Cuz with the way people are cross breeding nowadays, and as in the past, a good majority of todays strains wont be around. So it would actually be kind of good to keep some good seeds around that long.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yeah, i found a article at my bois place that said kept in the right conditions, you could grow a todays seeds in 15-20 years or more. That would be cool as shit though, cuz think about it, put them in an airtight case and put them away, then in 10-20 years take them out, provided you didnt forget about them, and you could grow some classic shit!!! Cuz with the way people are cross breeding nowadays, and as in the past, a good majority of todays strains wont be around. So it would actually be kind of good to keep some good seeds around that long. Show the then youngsters what we had to smoke in the day, plus you could compare it to the new strains. I could keep on and o and on about this shit so Im gonna stop. I should become a writer for high times as much as I put on this lol.

7. seeds germ easily-- it's the shit u pay 200 bucks for that u want to save in freezer vacuum bags and shit

8. The drier the better. You can easily get 4-5 years refrigerated with some dessicant gel. Have to use that silica drying gel stuff and replace it when it turns pink.

Don't know about freezing seeds except that they should be really dry before freezing.

9. i''ve kept viable seeds for over 7 years myself. i keep them in a light tight plastic pill seperator (brown color) and i put that inside air tight mason jars, they've never been exposed to extreme temps, light, humidty or open air (for the most part)

and they still keep poppin... like its 2001-02

10. I'm going to be trying bagseed from what I saved up the past five years right now. I only have four, though. I'm trying two under CFL's now, haven't sprouted yet and it's only day two.

Patience... is a virtue, but I can't help but check them out every three hours or so just to see if anything happened. I mean, five years is a pretty damn long time to be sitting in an empty sealed sandwich bag.

11. It takes seeds longer to sprout as they age. At some point it ends-up a race between sprouting and decaying.

For really old seeds of a special strain, you can moisten and water them with a dilute Hydrogen Peroxide solution to keep bacteria at bay while the seed germinates. It is an extraordinary measure that works.

Good luck,

Gene

12. some of it depends on how hardy a particular strain's seeds are. i'd say that 5 years is a reasonable safe period to keep beans, but don't count on them lasting 10 years! NONE of the beans i've kept that long are viable anymore. i didn't refrigerate them, but i did keep them in labled "nick sacks".

seeds CAN last many years, but it's not something to gamble on. once you plant your first batch and sex them, you can keep going a few years on cuttings without even needing to use seeds and if you want to keep seeds, you could always breed for more down the road although you might get some serious pheno variation with an F2 inbred or possibly some loss in vigor.

13. Hey there ,, So you said something about diluting the Hydo Peroxide .. How much do you dilute it ?

14. I wish he responded, this would have been great to know.

15. kept some seeds in a baggie and then had them in a dresser drawer for a couple years with 100% germination.

16. I have a rare seed from 1546 suppose ably some fucker from there busted a fatass but on my great great great great great great great great great grandma and the super slut payed him off with seed that was some dank-ass purp

17. I store seeds refrigerated in plastic zip lock bags. Seed that I produced as far back as 2002 and 2004 I'm still growing out. Just this past season for example. They germinate at room temperature soaking in distilled water, generally within not more than 48 hours. I've had personally bred seed from a previous years grow actually germinate within 8 hours the following grow season. Thirty years of cultivation has led me to the personal observation that seed generally stays viable producing vigorous plants for approximately ten years - give or take.

One caveat, the seed that provided the genetics that has produced such a long lasting seed stock I refer to, was actually purchased in the 1990's from a couple different well regarded Vancouver B.C. seed banks. Oddly, that remaining seed stock consisting of strains; Titan, Fast Freddy, Island Sweet Skunk, Manitoba Poison and Fast Manitoba were inert after barely six years. So ya' never really know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. This threads been dead i use to always answer dead threads haha

19. mason jar with cotton balls and rice in it and any seeds that you're able to open I put a few kernel of rice in each bag of seeds. All thise goes in the fridge

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. 20180109_190836.jpg

• Like Like x 1