Molasses and our plants!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Delta2012, Jan 20, 2008.

1. I thought Tweetie bird was a he.

2. #22 bonedaddy4u, May 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011
    l,ve been using it in all my watering's flower-crop[​IMG][​IMG]

3. grocery stores carry it for like 4 or 5 bucks but you get a lot i have enougth in one bottle to last like half a year

4. where can i find Molasses :l

5. read the top article in my signature, it says basically the exact same thing. great read and great information +rep

6. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Blackstrap-Molasses-16-oz/dp/B000QV19BM]Organic Blackstrap Molasses, 16 oz.: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food[/ame] will this work??

7. Dear Molasses,

It's not me, it's YOU. Really, I can't believe folks are still using this and not taking advantage of all of the wonders of technology available today.

Molasses is a sticky icky mess in a grow, and it's just not going to help you in all of the ways that the cheaper growers on these boards say that it will.

Good try though folks.

And why can't molasses help you out? It's not that it doesn't include things that your plants need, but it doesn't do everything that a specific carb product can do for yoru plants, as extra bloom boosters for big bud results have a full spectrum of carbs your plants need.

A few links that folks should check out that seem to make sense to me.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNp_cL_Okm4]Do Carbohydrate Supplements Really Produce Bigger Yields and Root Systems in Hydroponic Gardens - YouTube[/ame]

Clearing Up the Carb Controversy

I wish people would educate themselves because they're sharing information that just isn't right.

8. Stupid meet Stupid (Motherhugger) Do you want that with some icing or blood sugar or a package of Advanced lube.

9. of course a fertilizer company is going to come up with some propaganda saying that a fairly naturally occuring substance is not as good as their product which has been synthesized. i have used molasses in the cultivation of numerous different crops, not just cannabis. you first off as a person need to realize that these companies are in business to make money, not to make your life as a grower easier. there are literally thousands of years of evidence of not only the use of molasses in horticultural cultivation, but as a simple carb that is readily available to not only plants, but we as living organisms ourselves...

honestly i will continue to use molasses, and if i feel the urge put it on top of my pancakes in the morning... lets see you do that with anything you buy from a fertilizer company.. until then please spread your company advertising elsewhere and not in this thread.

10. Um, obviously you haven't read the information in the link. I mean, assuming you CAN read, you will notice that it doesn't talk about molasses being bad AT ALL.

What it does say is that molasses, when prepared properly, can work.

But thanks for playing. LOL

11. I find blackstrap mollasses in the organic section. Unsulphured, of course.

12. u r using a company for your scientific research. of course they are guna tell u tht there shit works better than others thts just business. nature takes care of these plants outside and produce well and big and carbs do help. so if ur n the ground watering and only dry ferting once in a while then then molasses will help. if u r budget growing this will help. if u are going organic this will help. sum ppl say organics is wayyyy better. and the list goes on and on. molasses does help period. but how much what nutes are ok to mix and if it only helps ppm or the actual plant. i want a scientist not sponsered in a commercial to say tht i doesnt do much.

13. o also molasses is easy for yeast to breakdown into alcohol as well...... but thts for another forum. mmmmm beer. molasses is great.

14. A good book on what molasses does in the soil and what its feeding. The book is called Teaming with Microbes. I suggest this for any grower. It changed the way I grow. I use all organic nutrients and compost teas and its made my plants healthier and the bud smell and taste amazing. I'm growing some of the same strains as I did when I was using chemical fertilizer and the organic one tastes so much better

15. Do you have any links to literature that explains how plants uptake carbohydrates contained in the soil? All i've been finding is how plants produce their own, not bring them in from the roots.

16. [quote name='"piratechefny"']

Do you have any links to literature that explains how plants uptake carbohydrates contained in the soil? All i've been finding is how plants produce their own, not bring them in from the roots.[/quote]

Its not only the plant that needs those carbohydrates. The beneficial bacteria use a lot of it and feed the plant

17. Ya i was actually prodding Samiel as he claimed it is a simple carb that is readily available to plants. They don't take in carbs, they make them.

The only reason molasses should be in a garden is as a food supply for the micro herd. Other than that it serves no purpose.

18. Does the plant uptake carbohydrates during the last couple weeks of flowering? I heard recently that is why molasses is used during last couple weeks of flowering. I still use molasses from seedling to harvest so I really haven't looked into it yet to find if its true or get any opinions.

19. #39 piratechefny, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2011
    I should have went further into my comment....

Not in any amounts that are making a huge difference. The addition of molasses is usually (at least common among a certain crowd) accompanied by the subtraction of all other nutes due to an extended flush and serves as it's only source of food (and it's a miniscule amount) other than consuming itself. When the plant is deprived it's food, it goes to the *sink* leaves as the *source* leaves are no longer producing. This forces the plant to divert it's energy from producing flowers to filling more leaves (the sinks) with nutrients to store for the winter.

In other words the slight boost of carbs is used as energy to move the nutrients into a new sink leaf in order to prepare for the colder months (which never come in a controlled grow, but it's hardwired into the plant so they will build them regardless). Instead of concentrating energy on flowering, it's busy trying to prepare itself for the later months. It's taking one step forward and one and a half steps back.

This is why it's good to keep 'em green but not overfeed in the last couple of weeks and if preferred a quick leeching the last couple of days when the plant is at the end of ripening. If i were growing with zero salt nutes and was innoculating with a micro colony i would certainly use molasses; but in hydro/coco there really isn't a point the way it is practiced by so many.

** sinks will develop red stems as they store up nutrients, source leaf stem remain green. there are strain varieties that turn purple which could make it hard to tell sink from source until they start to get consumed by the plant in case of lack of nutrients and the leaves turn yellow.

20. Yeah I use organic nutrients now and feed all the way up until harvest but I lessen the amount I feed them. I use AACT every couple weeks to make sure the soil is very happy with plenty of little friends to help take care of the girls :) that's why I also add a small amount of molasses to every feeding too. Also, I rarely just water. I always feed them but lower ppm.
    Thanks for that info!