How to Prep Rockwool?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by nikidog11, Nov 26, 2007.

1. I have heard mention of pretreating or prepping rockwool blocks before grows to stop fungus or avoid root rot or why.....?

What are the reasons and methods to prep rockwool before a grow

I am using a Ebb and Flow 7 gal with BC Nutrients.

Thanks

2. I'm really tired right now, but you need to soak your rockwool in pH ballanced water. It has lots of lime in it which needs to be flushed out. (says the guy at the hydro store)

3. Before you use rockwool you must first soak it in water adjusted to a pH of 4.5 to 5.0. You should soak the rockwool for about 24 hours. To soak rockwool cubes use a bucket or other water tight container, just put the cubes in the water and let them float around. To soak the rockwool slabs cut a hole in the bag around the slab and pour in pH adjusted water until the slab is totally saturated, let soak for 24 hours Then cut drainage slits in the bottom.
    :)

4. To be honest, you should just spend the little money extra to buy quality rockwool. GroDan. That's the stuff. It's PH balanced when you get it.

I soak the cubes in a VERY VERY VERY mild solution of rooting hormone and water (like a couple drops per gallon). Works every time, never once paid any attention to PH (except during a heavy rainstorm. Water from the sky flushes down and contaminates the water-table).