3rd Shift. How do you deal with it?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheRoeBiz, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Does anyone else at the city work a full time job on 3rd shit? I've been doing it for about six months now and it's starting to turn me into a freaking zombie. I just spent a Friday Night smoking Dank and watching bewitched because I felt to run down to go out. How the fuck do you guys deal with the endless night and constant tiredness?

2. Is 3rd shift the same as graveyard shift? If so, then yes.

I've been doing it part time since about May, and my husband works graveyard at the same place, about 50-60 hours a week.

It's definitely taken a big bite out of my social life, but I think it's an interesting experience overall. It's nice being able to sleep any time of the day without feelin' like a couch potato, and it's cool to be able to drink at 8am, because you're about to go to bed anyway. ;)

I guess it's easier to deal with because I have friends who have the same schedule. I've got like 6 good friends who work at the same place, so they're pretty much the only people I see a lot of lately.

As much as it sucks sometimes, I'd definitely rather be getting off work at 7am than getting up for work.

3. I can't really say from first hand experience, but my mom worked in the ER as a nurse 7 pm to 7 am Friday Saturday and Sunday every other weekend, and sometimes during the week. I don't really know what to say to help you but it seemed like she started to live with less sleep and eventually it was just a normal thing.

I suggest not letting the excuse of 'I worked all night' allow you to sleep all day. Try to set a schedule like.. Maybe wake up at noon and go run or something. Your internal clock should work itself out if you have somewhat of a stable schedule.

4. Oh, I completly agree that I'd rather be getting off work than getting up at 7. I just can't stand waking up eairly every day without an end in site.

5. Yeah, ive been working at my current job for a lil over a year. ANd there are 3 shifts that alternate. 6am-2pm/2pm-10pm/10pm-6am.

No prob working the 3rd shift, my onlu problem is i over sleep the next day. Well, seems like it, but in reality i get like 8 hours of sleep.

6. I worked 3rd shift at Fedex long ago it was terrible I don't know how people do it I was always tired and beat down. I like second shift.

7. i work 40+ hours a week, i just got home as a matter of fact, and the way i survive is by smoking after work and after i wake up. along with getting drunk on saturday because im off that night.....it does suck that i only see some of my friends once a week but i still :smoking: almost every day, with a couple of homies that live up the street....so smoke and think about the money your making:smoke:

8. Haha, he said shit.

:hide:

:p

9. TheRoeBiz, hey I feel for ya. Been there done that. Its hard to adjust to, I remember indulging my zombie like feeling by renting a crap load of zombie movies to watch after my shift and toking.
    Well, if its really effecting your life, you should try to see a doctor to get some Lunesta, or another sleep aid. I dont like the OTCs, they just dont work as well, but when you want to sleep, you should sleep. Ive had docs more than willing to write a script to help with these ugly shifts.

10. fuck man how the fuck did you work at Fedex? I worked there 2nd shift for maybe 4 or 5 weeks and said FUCK THIS. And I don't consider myself a pussy, but that shit was rough. I workout a good bit, usually 3-4 times a week and I lift weights and run and I workout hard so I know I am in good shape, but SHIT GOD DAMN, my back was killing me after 3 weeks. I had to wear this back brace and even then I was in so much pain all the time. And I was lifting correctly, I was not bending and I was using my legs as much as possible but you still have to use your back to throw boxes up high and shit. Being a loader was the worst fucking job I have ever had.

To think, I was killing myself everyday doing slave labor when now I am only getting a dollar less to sit on my ass all day long. Being a security guard kicks ass.