How-To: Cheap CFL Soda Can Reflectors

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by iximindtrickixi, Sep 11, 2007.

1. My temps down 5 degrees since I started using these Pepsi cans on 2 of 4 bulbs!!!

2. Im sure the reflectors dont do the best job BUT anything is better then having none at all right SO you do get more lumens to the plant.TEMP DROPS AFTER USING THESE??????????????

3. A bi-wing design seems like it would be much more effective since it would direct light around CFL instead of back at it

4. Hey one quick tip on taking the end out of the can...if you have a belt sander or even a bench grinder, or have a friend with one.

The rim of the can looks like this--------> U <-----where it is folded over the can....well just grind off the end of the U so it looks like this l l

Then the end will pop right out, and you can deburr it with a pocket knife...works slick.

5. this is awesome im gonna try this

6. Hell yeah! doing this with some Arizona Tea cans now! Big gulp! :smoke:

7. You could try using some polish to get the can nice and shiny. As a kid we used to polish the bottom of the can with chocolate and use it to reflect concentrated sunlight like a manifying glass.

8. awwwessome heading to home depot this afternoon!! This is still benefiting people 3 years after it was posted LOL

9. you can do the same, but using a wider can can give you more reflection over a bigger area, & line it with mylar or foil tape, or paint it titanium white.
    [​IMG]

10. i would say the main difference is that the can is smooth, whereas the foil will never be completely smooth. just saying. and its a great idea:)

11. Sweet tutorial, thanks man, im gonna make some right now with these coke cans.