Other Sources of THC?

Discussion in 'General' started by AloisWolf, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Okay, let me start off that I was trying to do some research on other plants that also produce THC and came up with next to nothing. I also searched throughout this forum and wasn't able to find anything. I beginning to wonder if people ever gave it a thought before. I mean out of the billions of plants (maybe even animals?) are they really trying to say that Cannabis is the only plant that produces the THC?
    I dunno... it just seems pretty strange to me.
    I did find on some obscure website that szechuan peppercorns contain small amounts, but I really don't find that too dependable, though ironically the FDA had banned the import of the pepper from the mid 60's to 2005. (Wikipedia)

What are your thoughts?

2. From 1968 to 2005, the United States Food and Drug Administration banned the importation of Sichuan peppercorns because they were found to be capable of carrying citrus canker (as the tree is in the same family, Rutaceae, as the genus Citrus). This bacterial disease, which is very difficult to control, could potentially harm the foliage and fruit of citrus crops in the U.S. It was never an issue of harm in human consumption. The import ban was only loosely enforced until 2002. In 2005, the USDA and FDA lifted the ban, provided the peppercorns are heated to around 70 degrees Celsius (160 degrees Fahrenheit) to kill the canker bacteria before importation.

3. Let me just say that I did not intend to make it seem that it was banned because of it's thc content. It was a fault of my own that I did not include that information. I just thought it was ironic that it just happened to also contain small amounts of thc.

4. I think weed is one of a kind, and probaly the only plant that produces thc.

5. I would like to think that cannabis is the only thc producing plant, but if someone could prove me wrong, it would be interesting as fuck..
    good post though

-JAH

6. I think if an other plant besides cannabis produced THC and people found out about it, I don't think it would be too long before it too would become illegal... just like they are trying to do with Salvia in some parts of the US and already have in some states.
    I think if it were to be found anywhere, it would probably be in Asia in the more tropical areas... but who knows. Maybe there is and it's just a very well kept secret.... nah.

7. ill let you know, i smoke every flower and bud I see.

8. I remember reading that sea enemonies or however its spelt produce canabinoids. Im going to research this some more and i shall post any interesting links in this thread.

9. I think you mean anandamine. And I heard cow milk has cannabinoids too.

10. oh, nice to hear your opinions.

11. since the c in thc is cannabinol,
    and thc is a cannabinoid....
    if another plant created vast amounts of cannabinoids, wouldnt that plant
    have to have some genetic relation to the cannabis plant,
    meaning relation to the species...

or be human...hmmm.:smoking:

12. Delta 9 THC is pretty unique.

Cannabinoids exist in your brain as well though, its just delta 9 THC that is especially psychoactive and unique. Yet without the other cannabinoids in the plant it doesn't have the same effect (see marinol).

Check this out though, from what I can gather on wiki the lineage of cannabis was believed to be something like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But now scientists say its in the family of plants that look like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hops

[​IMG]

Hmmm

Kinda just seems like they are looking at plants and guessing by what kinda looks like herb.

13. Humulus (hops) and Cannabis are close cousins but hops do not produce any THC.

Cannabis is the only plant that produces THC.

14. Damn look at that huge bright rose, lets smoke that shittt.

15. Here ya go this is the most interesting read you will probably see on this subject.
    Florida Biochemist designs a citrus tree with THC : thecrit.com

16. #17 MSTR Roshi, May 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2011
    I know a fellow grower who wanted to try and cross a cannabis plant with other plants to see if he could make something that would produce THC but not look like Cannabis. Since we live on opposite sides of the country I'm not sure of his progress but he seemed optimistic that he would be able to do it. It might be worth looking into for you more experienced growers.

Proof of concept: http://thecrit.com/2009/06/03/compa...ce-thc-and-the-tomatoes-are-especially-yummy/

17. Yeah I know lots! Besides marijuana, there is cannabis, pot, bud, weed, and lots more.

18. Weed is one in a million

19. THC is a very unique chemical. Cannabis is the only plant where it is found in mass quantities.