how should i go about transferring to a larger pot?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Yeska420, Jun 8, 2007.

1. I think my plant is almost ready to be transferred into a larger pot. Can sum1 give me a step by step process? I dont want it to go into shock or somethin...thank u

2. Heres how I do it:

First I roll what ever the plant is in in my hands. Applying a little pressure to the sides of the container. This causes it to 'let go' of the edges.

Then I take one of my hands and lay it flat (palm down) with the stem in between two of my fingers.

Then I flip the container upside down (thats why you have your other hand there:D). The plant should slide right out, perhaps a little coaxing is needed.

Then put it into an ALREADY prepared larger container.

But if your using a plastic keg cup or something similar use a razor blade and cut down one side. Try to just cut the cup and not the roots. Then just peel the cup away and transplant.

3. Thanks Dirty, that helps.

Would a one gallon pot be enough to grow the plant until it shows sex then I transplant? I have a slight dilemma as I have seeds that are not feminised so I have to plant enough to get a female or two. I was going to plant six. I could plant all six in a huge pot then pull the males but I figured I would just give each one a separate one gallon pot til they sexed.

I would add one thing and that's that it's probably best to have your soil totally wet, even muddy, so it sticks together when you transplant. Dry soil is more likely to fall apart and crumble away from the roots.

4. What do you have them in now? Its better to transplant as little as possible. So, if I were you I'd go straight into what you plan on finishing in (3-5 gallon).

Yeah, give each plant its own container. ALWAYS. You dont want the roots fighting for space, getting tangled and choking eachother out!

As far as the muddy soil goes. Muddy soil is almost as likely to fall apart as dry soil. Best thing to do is give the plants a good watering 2-3days prior to transplant this way, on the day of transplant they will be ready for another watering and will help ease their transition into their new home.

If your plants are ready for transplant, ie; nearly rootbound, there will be enough of a tight root structure that will hold the soil together regardless how dry the soil is.

5. you need to find a balance in transplanting.

You dont want to plant the plants right into their final pot because then youll have to pour water into a tiny pot and it wilol all drain to the bottom (top dries out fastest)

at the same time you dont want your plants to become root bound.

I do essentially the same method to transplant.

heavily water the plant so it slides out

hand on top of soil with stem in between fingers

then slowly turn and itll slide right out.

to put it back into the bigger pot i hold the root ball on the sides and just slide it into the hole. then pack dirt around the sides to ensure their isnt too much air space

my plants are 3-4 ft tall right now and are in 5.5 or 9 gallon pots. I think I will need to repot probably into the ground, because they are gettin really big

the rule is usually 1 gallon per foot/ month of growth right?

I dont think this rule works because 9 gallons is looking small already AND ITS ONLY JUNE!

6. That makes sense completely but in my situation it's slightly more complicated. I have two grow sites far apart from each other. One I can get to often and the other I can only visit every 3-4 weeks(It's ok, they'll get plenty of water). The problem is that I have to start enough of a strain to come out with a couple females. If I plant one per pot in a gallon or half gallon pot then I have about six pots to deal with until they sex and three of those pots will be at a diff location. Then when they show sex I'd transplant the female(s) into larger pots. But it almost seems easier to plant three seedlings in a 5 gallon container from the start knowing I'll just chop one or two at the base when they show sex and are male. I suppose I could keep them all at the site I visit often then transfer a female to the other site later but it could be two feet tall by then and that's a hassle and more dangerous. If a couple turned out to be female and were in a pot together I could probably grow two females in a 5 gallon pot since I could easily grow one in a 3 gallon, right or wrong? Maybe I could even use a 7 or 8 gallon pot at each site and plant 3 or 4 pulling cutting down the males later. That way I'd still likely end up with one plant or maybe two at the most in a large container together.

It's simply a logistics dilemma I'm trying to think through and after writing this is almost seems to make more sense just to plant a few in a large pot knowing I'll be pulling the males later.

7. do it when the soil is dry... it'll weigh less and the soil falling will be less likely to break the roots