Leaves curl up like hell!!!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by sportsfreund, May 11, 2007.

1. Can anyone help? Have trouble with my plants, new leaves are doing well, but after two weeks or so they start to wrinkle and then curl up until finally they die. New leaves are coming so that the plant is slowly grwoing. Any ideas?

pH seems about 6 but this is no exact measure, I am using epsom salt cautiosly. Is there something like "nutritions lockout".

Any ideas appreciated,

thanks,

sportsfreund

2. nutrient lockout

why

any pics?

your PH reading is out of optimum range 6.5-6.8 PH, you need to flush your plant.
    Flush with PH corrected water, 3 time the volume of the pots
    EG: 1 gal pot = 3 gal. flush
    add 1/4 strength nutes to the last gallon of the flush

3. Thanks. Pics will follow soon.

Reading through various posts I realized that "curling up" is always explained by magnesium deficiency, so I added MgSO4 - without any effect.... Also I sprayed a MgSO4 solution directy on the leaves - no effect...

Although soil is about 6 pH, water is somewhere at 7.4. I don't have special equipment to measure this, though.

Thanks for your first advice, take care,

Sportsfreund

4. Another point: I read abount complex interactions between pH, Calcium and Magnesium in soil. High caclium in water can lock out Mg, but Calcium is recommended to reduce acidity, i.e. increase pH. Could it be something like this? My water is rather high in Calcium, pH around 7.4.

Any ideas appreciated! My plants are about 8 weeks old but because older leaves die, growth is stunted whcih makes me sleep very bad.

Take care,

Sportsfreund

5. Here are some representative picures. First, the leaf structure becomes odd and somehow "reflective" as you can see on picture 1 (left) and 4. Then, the leaves start curling (picture 1 bottom) which finally looks as depicted in picture 3.

Has anyone experieced something similar? Any hint appreciated. I have no more ideas what to do :devious:

SOIL PH 6-7
    WATER PH 7.4
    SUN + ADDITIONALLY NATRIUMLAMP (TOTALLY 18 H/DAY)

SLOW GROWTH: 15CM /6IN IN 8 WEEKS

Thanks,

Sportsfreund

Attached Files:

6. looks like something i expenerced awhile back, heat issues eg: plants are hot then you mist them and they have done that to me, but i could be wrong,just a thought.

7. heat stress

look into room temps or raise your lites

8. Heat stress was a guess of mine, too, but during holidays I had them only at the window for four days and same thing happened. Anyway, I will lower temperatures.

How are the chances for recovery of the damages leaves? What do you think?

Any other guess?

THANKS A LOT :hello:

Sportsfreund

9. you mentioned "by the window for a couple days"

moving indoors to outdoors , from sunlight and out of sunlight stresses the plant,
    it needs to acclimate ........this is a 2 day acclimation into sunlight to ensure the plant doesnt get sunburn and do what your plants doing

10. This sounds reasonable, I will take much moe care now.

Anyway, are there any chances for recovery? What about the leaves that totally curled up? Better cut off or wait?

Nice to talk to experts, thanks a lot again!

:hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello:

11. Does anyone has experience with RECOVERY FROM HEAT STRESS? I carefully observe the leaves. There is no improvement, but also little if anything gets worse.

Growth of fresh leaves continues, old curled leaves stay curled. The leaves closed most seem to become a little yellowish. Is this a sign they will die anyway?

What's the best treatment then? Does cuting off help to recover faster or should one leave everything as it is and let them die if they have to?

Expert opinion needed!

Thanks,

Sportsfreund

12. NATRIUMLAMPnot familiar with these, does this put off much heat?

put your hand under the lamp .at plant level...can you feel any heat?

if so raise the lites

as to recovery it depends on how bad the heat stress was , also when a plant is badly stressed like this, other underlying issues rear thier ugly heads .....so to be safe do a soil runoff PH test

To rule out PH related issues complete a soil runoff PH test.......
    with PH corrected water (6.5-6.8PH ) pour enough water in the pots so the water runs out the bottom of the pot ...test the PH of this water....

13. It is a METAL HALIDE LAMP where I can hardly feel any heat on the plant level. However, I have a dry tumbler in my growing closet which evetually raised the room temperature to about 90 F, maybe more... :mad:

I have put them away from the lamp for recovery. For four days they are again at the window. And I want to wait with the rundown test in order not to overwater the plants.

The photos attached show the actual state of affairs. One can very well see how it is becomming worse the lower the level is. :confused:

MY DIAGNOSIS: Heat stress from generally high room temperature, not necessarily the lamps; together with some Mg-deficit and aclimatization stress from moving the plants around, :rolleyes:

I will document recovery/death in this form so that other can learn from my failures...

Cheers,

Sportsfreund

Attached Files:

14. After all these seemed to be heat stress. For your information: The leaves are not very likely to recover - but they also don't get worse. What actually happens after sever heat stress (as I experienced) is that they simply stop growing.

To summarize: You loose time (and good sleep, too) but the plant can recover.

Good luck,

Sportsfreund

15. Natrium = sodium.

16. the lower leaves are praying!

this means to much water, get some vermiculite to add to the soil for better drainage.

other then that dont water them any more;)