Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana and sleep

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by firstgrow, May 3, 2007.

1. What? Broad statement there buddy, considering you can find countless threads on this forum about sleep.

2. It only helps me sleep because of the habit of smoking everynight so a night without it, is tough.

The only problem that I have is that is severely limits my REM sleep and I can feel it every morning. I'm constantly tired when I wake up and it doesn't matter how early I go to bed.

Since the habitual smoking started a couple years ago, I rarely ever remember my dreams. My friends are well aware of the completely ridiculous lucid dreams that I had growing up to right before my wife and wife started smoking habitually.

I used to remember at least one dream I'd have a night. Sometimes so lucid that I would think about the dream for days because it felt so real. Now, it's an extreme rare event if I remember my dreams.

We are in dire need of a T-break though but due to the amount of stress in our lives, it just isn't possible right now. Soon hopefully

3. wrong.

4. Just curious, did your doctor recommend a specific strain to help treat your insomnia, or did he simply just prescribe weed in general? Just wondering, as I have a good friend suffering from insomnia I'd like to help out.

5. racing thoughts is what i have and i dont know wat caused it . but ive been thinking its not normal , but enough people on here have it so i feel a little more comfortable about life now. anything stop it , or just meds for the time being?

6. Therapy. :eek:

I have the same issue and have had a doc's recomendation for the green in the past for insomnia. I had "tough" childhood and have been dealing with insomnia since I was about 9. Ever since I took that first late night solo toke 12 years ago and blew it out my bedroom window, I knew what my perfered treatment was.

I like to save the heavy indicas for my late night tokes, those work the best at shutting off my brain and getting into lala. Sativas don't help me to sleep until I start to come down.

7. I call BS to Glytchs story

8. Dude I am the exact same way! I am almost positive that it is because of the habit of me toking before i sleep that I cannot sleep without it now. + I NEVER remember my dreams when I'm baked and fall asleep, but I do ALWAYS remember them when I fall asleep sober...which is maybe once a year

9. I've tried using weed to help me sleep (insomniac)
    it doesn't help me go to sleep as much as it makes me feel tired

Prescription medications works much better from experience (lunesta)

10. This is something I have done and when people ask, I tell them the same thing. I agree that a few puffs before bed really can just relax you and your muscles. But if your brain doesn't relax along with it, you may just lie awake until it wares off. Sleeping is all about relaxing so if you can get your brain to just relax, and smoke just a little before bed, I would agree that you can wake up very refreshed.

Overdoing it can make you not want to wake up especially really early, but the same can be said about almost anything.

• Funny Funny x 1

11. Shut the fuck up.

Only my first late night solo toke was only a year ago.

Pot does different things to everyone, so if it helps you sleep, then try to get a recommendation for a card. Best of luck to you.

12. Can't go to sleep at night? Tried medicines, but they only make you tired and don't fullfil the job? Keep Reading!

Ive tried various sleeping medicines for insomnia and sleeping disorders such as Meletonin. All of them get me drowsey., but still can't fall asleep.!

I self-Diagnosed myself with this (Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome) since I was in 4th grade.
    (Didn't know it had a name, I always thought it was insomnia)
    -It's like a jet lag, every night I went to sleep at 2am regardless if I went to bed at 1 am, or 8pm.
    Everyone has those restless nights time and time again; imagine having them every night?

Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (DSPS) has NO medications (Well, no 50-state legal ones anyway) and is only treated with ridiculous therapies that either take a half hour out of every day (looking at a light spectrum every night for 30 minutes), or taking off from school and work ~ For ONE MONTH! (Every night you go to sleep one hour later, and eventually go aroundf the clock to your desired sleeping time, such as 11 PM)

And both of these have decent chances of resetting itself after some time.

I discovered Marijuana a few years ago...for recreational use
    Then discovered that it is the only medication that has potential for DSPS

Not much research done, so I just experimented
    -Smoked till I was high, went to sleep at will. Worked great!
    -Smoked till I was just a bit dazzy. Went to sleep at will. Worked great!
    -Smoked half a bowl. Felt nothing in the head. Went to sleep at will. Worked great
    -Was dry; couldn't smoke. Was able to sleep at will (likely because circidian clock reset).

-First time in MANY years-
    Marijuana has allowed me to get much more sleep
    which in turn keeps me more awake an alert
    When I started doing this in highschool on a daily basis, my GPA raised .8! (from 3.2 -> 4.0)

So anyone else with DSPS, I STRONGLY recomend marijuana.

(Im a bit high, hope this made sense :confused:

13. It undoubtedly works, but you can get physcologically addicted to it since your body gets used to the THC to go to sleep and if you dont have the THC active in you, it will be harder to sleep.

Of course for serious insomnia either way you would need some cannabis, but if not i wouldnt suggest it.

14. Oh yes, it helps me sleep too, and stay asleep. I always have too many things on my mind too. There have been times I've stayed up all night because I couldn't get to sleep. Other nights I might wake up up to 4 times during the night. I've tried sleep meds but they either take too long to work on me or they leave me extremely groggy the next day and I'm like a zombie.

It's the best thing for sleep to me!

15. I go to sleep high just about every night. I agree that weed definitely can be used as a sleep aid. However, I have heard that when you are an adolescent (teenage years and so...), going to sleep high can have negative effects on your brain function and can severely affect your performance in school because when you sleep is when your brain processes the information that it learned that day. Luckily, I'm an old hippie in my sixties so i can go to bed high all I want! ~ Peace :smoking:

P.S thinking about dozing off soon and I'm high out of my mind.

16. Use scientific data or personal experience to back what you say or simply refrain from talking because you sound like a Fox News anchor.

It helps me sleep, in fact it is my main argument as to why I wish to smoke. My entire life I've had sleeping issues. When I was young, my brother ground his teeth at night making it impossible for me to sleep. Through high school I was never able to fix the habit and went on sleeping pills. After the sleeping pills stopped working and became addictive as I required a higher dose, I simply dealt with it for a few years and went on nothing.

Even tonight, I will not be able to sleep. I'll be up for over 18 hours before even considering sleep unless I have cannabis. And guess what, I don't have any cannabis.

I do not recommend using it every night for you should try and sleep before resorting to it. The reason I say this is because you never want to be completely dependent on a substance.

17. #37 Zooloo, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
    If you do not already regularly smoke shortly before bed, do not do it. It can adversely affect your REM sleep cycle. I find marijuana to be most damaging if used on a consistent basis (right before sleep) thereby affecting REM sleep cycles and causing a deficit in bodily repairs, memory consolidation, and the immune system. This is how I believe the temporary intoxication can cause long-term change in personality and performance.

Many marijuana users (myself included) will find their dreams to be either nonexistent or extremely hard to recall when going to bed under the influence. If you suddenly stop after a couple of days you will begin to experience lucid, sometimes terrifying dreams.

Toke as you please but do it responsibly. I for example, won't smoke within 2 hours of bed.

ONLY IN EXTREME CASES:
    If you really do have some type of obstacle that prevents you from sleeping (real, imagined, or psychological) then you should make sure you are smoking an Indica-dominant strain of marijuana. Any Sativa and you are definitely in the wrong boat.

I'm pretty sure that those of you who say you wake up "refreshed" are reporting a placebo effect unless your normal sleep pattern is not in tune with nature's. Again not to discredit those who have illnesses because this is surely better than any sleeping pill. DON'T DO IT IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO. There are plenty of hours of daylight to toke. :wave:

18. Smoking weed definatly helps me sleep.
    Only problem now is I can't smoke at this moment and I am wide awake. Probably will be all night.

19. I've used weed to help me sleep for about 2 months. It's not every night, but every once in a while, and it works wonderfully. Especially bits and pieces of edibles...since it's more of a body high for me, it relaxes me a lot more. I always wake up normal and refreshed.

20. #40 Vitamin 420, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2009
    I don't mean to sound like a dick, but your argument has no substantial science behind it. Can you explain to me how someone can be psychologically dependent on THC as a sleep aide? It seems to me as if the body's chemistry and the Earth's magnetic field would be more responsible for poor sleep patterns. Maybe he has an imbalance of hormones in his body that prevents him from falling asleep, and THC happens to help remedy this problem. But that doesn't mean he's "addicted" to it. He just needs it to go to sleep - what's wrong with that? Some people find that exercising helps them go to sleep earlier too - does that mean they become addicted to running a mile every day before they go to sleep? :rolleyes: It's a preferred lifestyle for many who condone it as a counterweight to the imbalances in their lives, and it begins to manifest itself into other aspects of their lives. People who sleep better have better days, less stress, more energy, etc etc. The effects begin to stack up on each other and soon enough, you have very strong reasons to smoke marijuana before you go to sleep as opposed to not. Is that addiction, or is that lifestyle?