Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

can you get medical pot for gout?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by p_dj, Mar 3, 2007.

1. My grandfather and dad both have gout. I'm next in line. Hopefully by then, MMJ will be legal in Virginia.

2. Hey DVOTA, there are preventive measures that you can take if you think that you are next in line for gout. First is to go get your uric acid levels checked, and make sure that it stays below 6 mg/dL. Below that level uric acid crystals will not deposit in your joints, but if levels start to get above that number that is when you are in risk of developing gout. Another thing to do is to carefully watch your diet, and try to stay away from foods that are high in purine. For example shell fish such as shrimp, lobster, scallop, crabs, red meats, beef, lamb, pork, chicken. Google gout and you will find an extensive list of the types of things you should avoid. It sucks to not be able to eat the foods that you have grown accustomed to, but trust me its even worse when you come under attack and have no choice but to lay in bed for week on ends waiting for the swelling and pain to subside. Its a pain and annoyance like no other. I also hope Va will legalize MMJ soon, I lived in Virginia Beach from 1998-2003.

3. It depends on what your doctor will think about your personal condition.  I personally know for a fact that you can.  Its a form of arthritis.  It is extremely painful.  ANYTHING that can help should be used.  Good luck to all those suffering with this.  :bongin:

4. My Dr. will be testing me for high uric acid levels (Gout) at end of the month.  Runs in my family too.   We started suspecting it when I started having joint pain I could not improve with my MMJ topical ointment.  In addition to the good advice about Cherry's and avoiding foods than make you flare up.

Effect of urine pH changed by dietary intervention on uric acid clearance mechanism of pH-dependent excretion of urinary uric acid
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3406944/

Urine alkalization facilitates uric acid excretion
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2976726/

5. I have had gout for the past 10 years. It is the most painful thing I've ever experienced. The pain had been compared to the pain during child birth. That being said, I tried Allopurinol, but it did not work for me. U have been taking Uloric for the past six years and I have not had one attack of gout.

Talk to your Dr about it and see if it works for you.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

6. #26 Honokiol, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2013
    Thanks but if I can fix this with less drugs it would be better.  I'm here because of the side effects of prescription drugs & NSAID's.  I'm a little gun shy about any new ones in my life.  Some of the last Rx's to go were considered risk factors increasing the likelihood of trouble with gout   Dr. has been worried about the health of my kidneys for about 5 years now and protecting kidney function will do more to protect me from gout than any thing else I can do.  I'm off all but 1 prescription drug down from 10 + in daily use before I got my MMJ recommendation.  I'm even finding I have to be careful with herbal supplements, I'm allergic to some that would otherwise be helpful.

Statistics suggest diet fixes this and if I can fix it with diet it is in my best interest to do so.  I've been having my best success in fixing most of the things I was taking all that stuff for by eating Food as Medicine (Dietary Modification)  Not sure I'll go vegetarian but I can eat a lot less meat than I do.

Serum Uric Acid Concentrations in Meat Eaters, Fish Eaters, Vegetarians and Vegans: A Cross-Sectional Analysis in the EPIC-Oxford Cohort
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3572016/

I remain under treatment for Obstructive Sleep Apnea which also is associated with Gout.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/?term=%22Sleep+Apnea%22%20%22Gout%22

Continuing to lose weight I've lost 100 Lb. since 2005 but have 40 more Lb's. to go will improve the Sleep Apnea and reduce uric acid levels also.