Indoor garden starter 2016

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Littletoast, Feb 13, 2016.

1. #1 Littletoast, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2016
    Hello everyone. I thought i would share my indoor garden i started this year to try and give my outdoor garden a head start.
    I have a little bit of everything started so far.

I have a few onions going just because my dad loves fresh young onions, they never get a chance to grow much lol. 20160213_010846_resized.jpg
    I also have a few roma tomato seedlings going. oddly, most of them came up with the seed husk still attached. after 4 days i figured id have to try to save them. they survived. a little scarred but going strong. 20160213_010943_resized.jpg
    Someone gave me some radish seeds so i put them in some soil. they came up today. 20160213_010829_resized.jpg
    I have one green bean plant thats a few days old, and i plan on starting more here soon.
    The leaves point straight down sometimes, is that normal? (see pics). it seems otherwise healthy minus a little scar that has been there since it surfaced. 20160213_010816_resized.jpg

Anyways..i plan on cloning one of the roma tomatoes so i can fill my plot outside with rooted clones when the soil warms. ill start a few more green beans every 2 weeks for a sustained harvest. i plan on canning a bunch of them.
    i also have pepper seeds germinating, this is the second batch im trying to germinate in a paper towel. the first batch of 5 turned almost a neon green after 12 days and then eventually started to rot. they were from walmart produce so go figure. this second batch of 12 is from packaged seeds.

Everything was started in jiffy pots that sit on about 3 1/2 inches of perlite in a plastic lined wooden "pan". the pan is self watered via 1/2 inch pex pipe that runs the length of the pan and is buried under the perlite. a valve controls water flow. i can set it up to drip if im leaving for a while but now im just watering it every other day filling the pan with about an inch of water.

The light setup is temporary. i had the 2 t8 lights laying around and made the cfl light. once they get big enough to need the extra light, ill upgrade. probably mh/hps.

the soil is an organic no till soil and the seed starter mix is just the organic base soil without amendments.
    Please comment and leave feedback! i love free advice and criticism!

• Like Like x 2
  2. #2 Littletoast, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2016

Update time-

Everything has been going along pretty well so far.

Transplanted the radishes yesterday. 5 to a 2gal geopot. im keeping them away from the hot lights and trying to keep them on the cooler side of the table which averages 60-65. never had a radish. i hope i like them lol. I heard today radishes will go to seed if they get more than 8 hours of light a day. these things have been on an 18/6 cycle since the start lol. i think i may bring them out to the sun room by the window where they will get less light and less heat. 20160215_212910_resized.jpg 20160215_213320_resized.jpg

i also transplanted the onions into a 2gal geopot and one of the roma tomato plants into a 2gal geopot. i need to go pick up some more pots for the other 2 tomato seedlings.

20160215_212834_resized.jpg
    Heres a picture of my watering system. the pipe t's off into 2 separate lines under the perlite to more evenly disperse the water. 20160215_213215_resized.jpg
    Lets hope everything looks this good 3 weeks from now =)

• Like Like x 1
  3. What a good idea for a watering device/res... Very nice! You'll be eating radishes in no time... Have you done any micro or baby greens? Quick harvests of nutrient dense greens, and radishes planted densely are quite popular that way.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nice setup. I recently caught the gardening bug due to my love of chilli. Bought more today so soon to have 6 all up in my garden plus herbs :p

5. Thank you. Its info i read on here over 2 years ago that i adapted and put to use. No i havent tried micro greens yet. i have seen the term floating around, just havent researched it yet. Yeah the radishes didnt make it long before we plucked most of them for our salads a week or so ago. they were quite sweet and not a touch of heat to them. the few we did leave for another few days had a considerable amount of heat to them.

6. Sorry for not updating this more often. super busy at home. The garden is still alive and well. lost all but one tomato plant to what im going to say was damping off. one survived and is thriving. all radishes were harvested and eaten promptly. got 12 more started. lost a few pepper seedlings but 5 survived and are doing well. the green bean plant has begun flowering and putting off tiny little green beans. onions are doing well too. going to start some more stuff this week. ill post pictures tonight =). Thanks for all your likes and comments. it means a lot. Plus i like discussing this stuff!