Stem on seedling doing complete 360

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Seedling Curl, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Hello, First time posting, 2nd time growing, Couldnt find anything like this online anywhere, Not much to say, Basically these are a little more then 1 week old after sprout, but right under the water leafs the stem has done a complete 360, i dont have the best camera but basically the stem has done a loop d loop, i water them about every 3 days, im using a led light and no nutrients have been added yet, im using dirt from my yard, i do have 2 more plants going but there looking good nothing near like this, and this plant is still growing its starting is first true set of leaves now and doesnt appear to be dying. any advice or knowledge as to what happened let me know!

Attached Files:

2. How high is lip of container to top of soil, it's always best to fill it all the way up or leave at best 1/4" lip. It may just be a fluke or if it's only half filled with soil the plant reaches for light I would guess it may happen from light bouncing off white inside walls since it's not filled with medium and has a big area to reflect light 360° around it (this is a guess may just be a weird plant)

3. Ok i see what you are saying, My other babies are much more filled up and doing strong and healthy, I am thinking about filling it up to that twist in the stem when it gets taller complete cover that twist and hopefully turn it into part of the root system. Thanks for replying!

4. You can just cut cup down now... To be 1/8" above soil

5. Hey just an update, i filled in the containers with about an inch of soil and within 2 days they sprung back up, So i do believe everything will be okay with them though. One thing im not sure about is one plant is growing really slow but fast at the same time, its first true set of leaves are about a quarter of an inch long and they are tiny but its starting on its second set all ready. not sure if this is normal lol

6. Leaves will get bigger as they blades become more per lead. Usually it's one than 3 than 5...post pics but I'm sure you are fine. Just have your pots and soil on hand for when you have to transplant themz

7. Ok so now i seem to have another problem, they are growing slower then the hair on my head... idk what im doing wrong, they have sprouted from seed on the 30th of Jan,, i just added a florescence light along side my Led light, about 6 inches away from the plants, i still haven't given them any nutrients, its regular dirt outside mixed with perlite and vermiculite, i water about every other day, keep it on the low 70s with 24 hour light, again in 10 days they will be a month old and barly starting on the second pair of leaves, i dont have the best camera but this is the best images i could get.

Attached Files:

8. What's ph? Soil from outside can contain anything. Bugs other microbes, ph could be way high or low. Backyard dirt is worst choice (next to miracle grow) what's drainage look like? Also what's humidity should be 60-70% for seedlings

9. For the Ph im not too sure, i use tap water thats been filtered (I am growing with a really poor setup unfortunately so cant afford much items) it drains pretty good, not sure how to explain without pic i jimmy rig everything so the plats under my cups are just styrofoam plates, and i do have a humidity gauge, with goes back and forth between 60 to 80 since i use a big bag sprayed with water covering everything. Everything is growing so something must be right to an extent, just extremely slow and scared to add nutrients at this stage, the soil i used was dug from under snow and thawed out for a few days before i sifted it and added the perlite and vermiculite. . im not sure if when they start getting bigger they will take off, i am unsure of the strain, 2 of them the leafs are quite wide just maybe close to half inch long and the other that seems to be growing the best there almost an inch long and really skinny, i notice that throughout a few days the leafs will stand straight up then go back down, never curl or anything, ive grown once before but it was out side just put a seed in the dirt and watered, that was before doing any research.

10. To kinda tell you the extent of what i have to work with, i use a small pc fan thats plugged into my computer set up close to the plants.