Does LST or topping work with tomatoes too?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Jayce23, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Anyone tried this? I was also wondering if mj is similar to tomatoes, as when you transplant toms you bury some of the stem which then grows more roots and produces a stronger plant.

Thanks all

• Like Like x 1
  2. Interesting though, they do seem similar in many ways. Subbed!

3. #3 Littletoast, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2016
    i dont know about topping, but my tomato plants benefit from low stress training. I am always tying branches down and stuff. I actually just had a few roma tomato seedlings pop up out of the soil yesterday in my indoor garden i started this year, ill "sacrifice" one and top it when the time comes if you havent gotten your answer by then.

4. Topping tomatoes did not work for me this past summer, I got zero added benefit, they didnt bush out or anything, they just shot a new top at the highest node and kept going up..

Lst may help, Idk personally tho

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

5. Not sure if it works. As in marijuana is classified as a weed because you can practically break it in half and over time it will still grow.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

6. Thanks guys. I'll do some LST and top one of my seedlings with one left as control and update.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LST works, I've done it multiple times on lots of plants/veggies. I've even tried mainlining a tomatoes don't work out to well but I have lots of spare seeds I like to experiment with a couple container grown plants.

Sent from my Z936L using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Sorry for the minor thread necro, but I'm thinking of doing this with tomatoes this year.

I LSTd my basil and sage last year. I didn't do much; just bent some of the initial stalks so they'd get more light. The basil reacted pretty quickly; the main stems recovered and shot straight back up. I did a bit more with the sage; spread out 6 of the main nodes. It's created a nice bushy star pattern. This is year 2; I'm hoping it continues to grow and get bushy so I can have a nice little sage harvest next fall.

I am going to be planting several black russian tomatoes this year; I might try to top one and LST another and see if there is any benefit.

• Like Like x 1
  9. instead of topping, tomatoes are usually suckered. at 18"-24", remove all of the growing points (suckers) from the plant, excluding (or including) the single sucker below the first flower cluster. So, you are training the plant to two 'leaders', two growing points that will continue upward growth and produce fruit. Continue this indefinitely. Do not do it with determinate tomato varieties. A vertical trellis is suggested, I use plastic baling twine and common, plastic string clips tied to greenhouse cross bracing.

Benefits? Larger fruit, earlier fruit, ability to have tighter plant spacings (12-18" on indeterminates is very tight). Commercially, you only see this done under plastic. . . and I wouldn't do it in an outdoor garden. . . but would do it if growing in containers.