Gary Johnson for President

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NorseMythology, Feb 4, 2016.

1. #61 Lenny., Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016

i don't know because i am not advocating for it. my only aim was to correct your claims about the specific type of consumption tax system that gary johnson supports. it has built in systems to prevent it from becoming regressive.

payroll tax is regressive.

i didn't read that post, sorry. smoke weed every day.

• Like Like x 1
  2. #62 AugustWest, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2016

have fun voting for Hillary. at least you can say you voted for the winner.

go team!

• Like Like x 1
  3. typically they save and invest building wealth over time.

They spend way less of their total than poor people do

-Yuri

4. When I asked what they did with money they never spend I meant what was it's final disposition, where does it go when it leaves their possession. I know they invest it but it's still theirs. Unless they invest like I do, then it's gone. While the wealthy spend less of their total than low income people they still consume 100% of their money eventually because they can't take it with them.

5. don't they typically build empires?

It is why rich families stay rich and poor stay poor. The elite families build wealth, throughout their generations. They hoard and collect.

This is why sales and property taxes hurt the poor most
    -Yuri

• Like Like x 1

6. Perhaps that's what they do with their money, build empires. All expenses hurt poor people the most wouldn't you say? Like groceries, utilities, transportation expenses, etc?

7. right.

I'm.simply saying that, people.with less money, tend to purchase more.
    They tend to spend a higher percent of their total income while rich people save more.

So property and sales tax is regressive. It taxes the poor St a higher percent than the rich

-Yuri

• Like Like x 1

8. right. And I'm just saying all expenses are regressive. Why should taxes be an exception? Wouldn't it be extremely fair to charge everyone the exact same tax rate? We don't charge the wealthy more for their groceries or gasoline, why charge them more for taxes? Is it the government's job to redistribute money from the wealthy to the poor?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Yes that's kind of the idea of a progressive taxation system. The idea is that rich people can afford to pay more in taxes and will be a better source of revenue than poor people. Pretty much every tax policy in the world is a progressive system and for good reason. If you have a regressive tax it will most definitely negatively affect the economy. You may need wealthy investors, but you can't have a good economy without an active middle class. Regressive tax systems inherently hurt people in the lower/middle class which is why they can be detrimental to the economy as whole when consumer spending goes down as a result.

10. Good point, Ed. We charge the wealthy more for taxes because that's how those in charge get votes. It makes the poor feel as if we care about their plight and face it, there's a lot more votes to be had by sucking up to the poor. Look at what offering free education has done for Bernie's chances. It took all the young women away from Hillary.

• Like Like x 1
  11. my bad I actually didn't understand what you were saying at first

-Yuri

• Like Like x 1
  12. Apparently Joe Rogan is having Gary Johnson on Tuesday

Lose Your Fear and Free Your Soul or The Mysteries Of Life You'll Truly Never Know

13. This would be the time for Gary to run. Wouldn't that be something if he made it. I would be one happy camper.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I would be ecstatic on so many levels.

The establishment and elites would flip shit too

Lose Your Fear and Free Your Soul or The Mysteries Of Life You'll Truly Never Know

15. As a New Mexican I know how he administrates and he has my wholehearted support and approval. I love that man.

• Like Like x 2
  16. I hope his appearance on JRE gives him a significant bump in the election. I want to spread the word to send a strong message to the establishment that we are fed up with the bullshit two-party rigged elections and their puppets. Wouldnt a 5-15% libertarian vote really set them off?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joe Rogan (Podcast Site)
    For anyone wanting to listen to Gary Johnson on Rogan podcast

18. "Johnson advocates for a free market with small government and limited regulation. He favors tax reform that would create a single consumption tax that is the same rate for all goods and all purchasers. Basic necessities would be covered by a “prebate” — a monthly payment given to every taxpaying household by the government."
    Thinking of voting for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson? Here are their policy positions

What the hell is this?

How does the government earn the revenue to pay out these prebates? I assume taxes...

So we pay taxes, a good chunk gets sucked up in bureaucratic bullshit, then a portions gets sprinkled back out as prebates?

19. Highlights from tonight's CNN town hall (Aug. 3):

-- Gary Johnson: I "totally" get why voters think Hillary Clinton is untrustworthy
    -- Johnson on Black Lives Matter: "Let's wake up: This discrimination does exist"
    -- "I may be wrong, and will be happy to learn when I'm wrong"
    -- "How often is a mistake made worse" by denying it was a mistake?
    -- "If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember it.”
    -- Gary Johnson on Clintons: "It smacks of pay to play"
    -- "A wasted vote is a vote for someone you don't believe in"

20. I'm not an economist, tax attorney, or generally anyone who gives a crap about this kind of thing, but I have heard him talk about this a few times and explain it. I'm also not trying to explain how this would be afforded so take this fwiw.

Basically income tax goes away and we return to a consumption tax like we used to have before the federal income tax. The consumption tax will be a combination of sales taxes and VAT. The prebates will of course come from that, to cover 'essentials'. I haven't seen an actual list of what an 'essential' is, and I don't think we'll ever see one unless this comes to fruition, but I'd imagine it's a stipend intended to cover housing, utilities and maybe food. So with the feds paying your rent and basic bills, whatever money you earn is yours, but will be taxed when you go to spend it. So if you live large, you're paying a lot of taxes.