Guerilla soil help thread

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by capt.murphy, Feb 1, 2016.

1. So I plan on doing some basic guerilla growing this summer and can't find too much on basic soil mixes. I'm mainly hydro so have very little understanding of organics. I've got some basic questions to start it off. Is compost necessary? Can I just amend the native soil with things to boost npk and micro nutrients? Are teas necessary? Keep in mind I'm doing it on a very small budget since it's my first guerrilla grow. Every thing has to fit in a backpack. Im starting a shitload of reg seeds indoors til they get some leaves then planting them in the ground at several different spots. I'm in the southern US and the soil and vegetation are very fertile in the spots I'm looking at. Any more details just ask or any questions of your own go ahead. Any links to other threads like this would be awesome as I haven't found any

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hey capt,
    Here goes, first and foremost, spot dictates the method used. Example if everything around is really nice green, growing well, you probably can get away with doing less preparation, which in the small budget growers book is a big plus.
    Now with that in mind, less preparation may not yield as well as what could have been.
    So for example in my case, I have a really nice fertile area where everything is growing great, all vegetation, I feel like I could probably get away with not really doing much but Id rather be certain, so I fully prep all mine, its a piece of mind to me.

So with that all out of the way now, what I had used last year was all carried in with a backpack and a bucket, so very obtainable.
    I used a mix of:
    1/3 earth (some dirt out of your yard)
    1/3 compost (I found a local on CL and got a yard for $20 delivered)
    1/3 aeration ( for this I used cocoa shell mulch, for couple reasons,
    #1 it's easily sourced for my area #2it's very lightweight
    # 3 it looks very natural and blends well at a guerilla plot as opposed to white perlite ( this was a big one for me, because I want to be able to use my plots again a year, or maybe again after 2 years, and perlite will always stay there and during spring, fall, people are always going to be in the woods and if someone stumbles upon a hole with perlite in it it'll get people thinking and possibly taking mental notes to return during harvest to a field of beauties ripe for the taking, or worse, guerillas worst enemy LEO.)
    #4 its cheap

So on top of the base mix I used some amendments also,
    I used:
    Garden tone
    Bone meal
    Kelp meal
    Dolomite lime

That's it. Mix all up well add a little water and let it cook for about a month.

Any more questions lmk and I'll be happy to help.
    😁 :)

• Like Like x 1

3. 5 thumbs up man. That one post had days worth of hunting around the internet, thank you kindly. I'm going to invest in one of those fold up shovels so I only have to bring premixed compost, aeration, and amendments to the spot and mix it there. Next question is how big of a hole and how much of each amendment? I was thinking about 5gal bucket size for each spot but not sure if it's too much or not enough and 1.5 cups each per hope but that's just a wild guess haha

4. Oh and my spots are super green with vegetation even late into last fall and it was very dry. Hoping this fall acts the same

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

5. I would say five gallon bucket size is a good hole, all of mine this past year were a lot smaller, they were probably 3 gallons in most of my outdoor spots, and yeah they were good but I'm going to use a five gallon bucket at least half the time this summer so I can see the difference in size for myself, which also means more soil hauling in my case..
    Those shovels are nice but I find there hard on the back from being too short, so I got a nice wooden handled one and brought it out to the spots where its left year round, IMO less risky then always having it in ur pack and taking up valuable soil space.
    I would say anywhere from 1-1.5 cups should be good, I used 2.5 cups per 7.5 gal, but better to be a bit light then too heavy IMO, and that's NOT 1-1.5 of each amendment, that's total. So take:
    1 cup garden tone
    1 cup bone meal
    2 cups kelp meal
    And maybe 1/4-1/2 cup lime
    Mix it all together in a baggie and use 1-1.5 cups of this mixture.

All we can do is keep our fingers, toes, and everything else crossed it goes just as well .
    ☺

6. Awesome possum! One final question and I'm ready to start gathering supplies haha. Did that keep it Fed the whole season or did you sprinkle some more mix around the top later on?

Also I'm gonna be mixing ewc in there. I've read a lot of good things about it.

7. kelp meal and ewc should be all you'd need to topdress with, you'll probably only need to topdress once, just before flower maybe - realistically you probably won't need to keep adding at all, but for peace of mind before harvest you can toss some ewc and kelp around your plants

8. I topdressed with a little kelp once flower started, and it would have been fine without too but I had some left over so why not..
    It kept everything plenty well fed and happy

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

9. Sweet man. You just set me on the right path. I'll be sure to find y'all when I fire up the journal and let you know how it goes

10. definitely let me know man,

Another tip for ya is if your worried about deer ect eating your plants, instead of carrying in fence which is heavy, awkward, and not very inconspicuous.. Use some string instead, buy a nice big roll and pack that in instead and when you get onsite find 3 or 4 nice straight ish sticks that are 4-5 feet in length, jam them in the ground around the plant and wrap the string around on the outside of the sticks to build yourself a nice string cage instead, doesn't stand out as much, easy to carry, and disenegrates(sp?) So there's nothing to carry back out in terms of fencing, at the end of the year, pull the sticks out of the ground and put em off to the side and your ready to go for next year.
    😁👍✌

You can find an example on the first post of my OD thread

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sweet I saw that and already planned on doing it haha disintegrate according to my auto correct haha

12. Alright fellas I did some scouting today and found 3-4 really good spots..like really fucking good! I also have a few tips for anyone thinking about starting they're own grow. First things first. Never take the same route twice, you will create a trail that'll draw attention, also avoid mud, moss, etc. to avoid footprints but always keep an eye out for these two things from someone else. You best believe I'm gonna wear the dorkiest track/running outfit as my plots are 1-2 miles off a trail and I stick out. Now about my spots. They're tucked away in some 10-12' pine trees which provide nitrogen to surrounding plants. Here's some soil the top .5" is basically disintegrated wood, leaves, and pine needles [​IMG] Here's a big ass mushroom[​IMG] one of the creeks is full of red rocks rock's and smells like sulfur hella bad. I wonder if that is good or bad for the plants? Anyone know?

13. Might be scoria rock which fits the bill for the colour and smell of sulfur as it is a volcanic rock. I think i read somewhere it can be used as a growing medium but don't know if it needs treating

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. Couple things I'm always looking out for is footprints, cigarette butts and treestands
    And I always carry a fishing pole with me..

15. https://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-grow-journals/...

here is a friend of mine who has been a guerilla grower in your area for years. he is all about security. he can tell ya how to do it. if you post, he will respond in a day or two. he is very nice and approachable too. you can tell him i sent you if ya want.

you will want to use compost with your soil. not only will it provide the biology to break down your fertilizer, but it promotes plant health to fight off bugs and conditions the soil into a well drained mix. it is you powerhouse that everything revolves around.

i read that the soil has silt sand and clay and each of these things provides all the fertilizer nature requires. did you know that rock has all sorts of fertilizer and minerals? i planted a plant once on my property and i didn't do anything to it and it grew fairly well. you will want to avoid animal products because they will dig. kygiacomo can tell ya more.

16. Hey llb! Kyg's thread is actually what got me motivated to do this and I totally forgot about it til now. I'll keep my eye out for some good local compost. What's a good alternative to blood meal? And what's that rock dust that has a bunch of trace elements called? I just read about it the other day but didn't write it down

17. The tree stands aren't a concern in my spot as people "can" be close by but as you can tell from the trash I found laying around, it doesn't get frequented that often. Most of this stuff is right off the old road I walled and hasn't been moved in 20-30 years atleast.[​IMG] (found 5 washtubs spread around haha)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] anyone know what these metal things are? Look like car parts but in not sure. I took a few glass bottles with me But made sure everything looked just like I left it so I can tell if someone else has been messing with it[​IMG][​IMG] found this barb wire going through a tree on the back of someone's property line (about 1mile from the closest spot) and there's plenty more laying around so fencing is taken care of haha

18. i think the plant tone might also have animal products so you might want to check that as well. i really don't think you'll have too many problems with kelp and some compost. kelp has everything you need. might be good if you plan on packing in everything to have limited amendments.

rock dusts that are good are basalt and glacial rock dust. these though take a long time to break down and are more to increase microbial activity i guess. the reason we add it to our potting soil is to make it more like nature because the soil you have already has rock minerals and these have been able to be weathered over the decades.

that soil didn't look that loamy to me so the compost will help with that.

19. What's loamy? Fluffy? It was kinda hard to dig in with my hands and had shitload of roots. My local wal-fart has a wall of tomato tone, fruit tone, etc. I'll swing by today and see if any are vegan friendly lol. Tell me to shutup if the questions get too much. I've tried reading online about organics but there's so many different opinions and every ingredient sounds like it'll save the plants life ya know. I like to see it work for people with my own eyes and everyone on here Definately gets down in the grow room!

Another question for y'all haha there's tons of downed trees from old storms. I was messing with one yesterday and made my own mulch really easily by shredding it with my hands. Is there certain trees I should keep an eye out for or does it all work the same[​IMG][​IMG]