ok so i have been reading for 2 months

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by thirdcoastgrow, Feb 1, 2016.

1. #1 thirdcoastgrow, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016
    If this is in the wrong topic help me out and put me where this post belongs
    Hey guys/gals!
    As the title says I've been reading for about 2 months. And I think I'm ready to attempt my first grow. I'm putting into consideration that it will be successful and I splurged for a reason and will keep growing! Hahaha but that's not always gonna be the case...
    So my plans are run a dwc with leca, I will be running 3 plants ( Dutch passion, liberty haze, Acapulco gold) in a 77x77 grow tent.
    I'm thinking of running 10 gal containers as I want to attempt a scrog for my first run and wanna make sure the root system has more than enough room. I know I know I should just stick to a plane Jane grow 3 or 4 plants under the lights let em do what they do and see how it goes.. Buuuut I cant do anything simple. This is the one thing I have actually Sat down and studied. I've been chiming in on grows off and on since 2009. I've been interested in this for A WHILE and now that I have the extra cash I wanna bet it all on green and let it ride! I'm trying to decide on the led lights. I'm trying to decide on 2 mars 2 1200 or 3 king 900w and as for nutrients I'm thinking of the technaflora starter kit as Well as a dehumidifier the humidity is a problem where I live. Any advice on the grow? I will be posting pics as I go. I am ordering every thing next week when I get back in town. And would appreciate any tips on what I should get, if I'm forgeting something, or If I'm going over board on anything just let me know haha
    So far this my parts list
    AcuRite 00613A1 Indoor Humidity Monitor
    Aquatop Aquarium Submersible Pump
    Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent for Indoor
    Plant Growing (77" x 77"
    Rubbermaid Commercial 1779699 Brute Heavy-Duty Waste/Utility Container
    ViaAqua 50-Watt Quartz Glass Submersible Heater
    Dr.Meter® 0.1pH PH002 High Accuracy pH Meter/pH Pen Tester with ...
    Technaflora Recipe for Success Starter Kit
    Hurricane 745 CFM Inline Fan, 8-Inch
    <span class="skimwords-potential">Black Ops</span> Carbon Filter 8 in x 24 in 750 CFM
    Hurricane 435 CFM Inline Fan<span></span>, 6-Inch
    International Grower Supplies IGS6HEPA Organic Air 6-Inch HEPA
    Plant!t leca
    Misc(tubing hangers and ducting)

2. If you have no real grow experience, be smart and don't start out with hydro grows. People who have never actually grown before generally find it pretty complicated to start out with hydro. Realistically, you need enough familiarity with the plant itself and how it grows and how to read what it tells you is wrong (which it will do....but you have to know the plant to read the signs) and know how to correct it....and you generally get this from growing a plant or two out in soil more easily. Since you can kill everything you've got in only a few hours with a hydro screw up, most find soil a much more forgiving medium for the beginner to start with. Also, a scrog is a wonderful thing....but in the beginning, your mind should be on anything other than trying to pull off a scrog grow. They are incredibly labor intensive and if I were going to do one, I would do only one plant to start off with so I didn't get over my head.
    As far as your lighting goes, just make sure you buy quality equipment. When you compare brands of lights, you'll notice a massive price difference. Rest assured that the cheaper lights are cheap for a reason. They use the cheapest components, the absolute minimum needed to call their product what they want and the cheapest labor to put it altogether. Though I've never used one, I know that a lot of people on here use the Mars Hydro lights with a fair amount of success for the price but they are not the best quality on the market...though better than some. Black Dog and KIND are two brands that I know produce premium products but their price is reflective of that. Better light grows better and more bud though, so make your choice wisely.
    Hope some of this helps!! Good luck with your first grow!! It's definitely an adventure if you've never done it before. TWW

3. what soil would you recomend? Thanks for the advice! I can get a head of myself sometimes. I feel confident in the hydro set up the ph balance is easy for me I used to clean aquariums, and would have to check and adjust the ph. I figured itd be similar to that as for the signs I'm not sure but I was gonna take it with stride and read about how to adjust the nutrients and schedule to get the plant back to being green and perky like the plants I've seen in person and online. As for the leds I am kinda hesitant on the high dollar lights the ones I've been looking at thru black dog before I wrote this post were around the 1700-2300 range that'll nearly double/triple the cost of the entire grow. I was thinking mars for the first few grows then invest in the big dollar lights and incorporate the mars lights to get the side of the plants covering the entire surface area of the plants for higher yields.

Not trying to knock your thinking, or advice. Just want to let you know where my head is at the moment.

Again thanks for the advice! Greatly appreciated