HPS bulb lose light in travel?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Peace420, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Hi all. My hydro guy told me not to buy bulbs online as first of all you don't know if getting brand new ones if you don't have light meter, and secondly that the bulbs lose light the more the knocked about which would be a bit in travel, I'm not so worrird by first point but the second point would worry me if true, what's your take on it?

2. That‘s not the main point, most of brand selling on ebay just purchase cheapest price bulbs from China, see here http://growershouse.com/blog/hid-bulb-test-compari... Philips standard is 1850μmol/s, only hortilux passed, except hortilux and Ushio, other brand all from China.
    Those cheap HPS bulbs are for street lighting not for plant growth, the spectrum lack of blue and red light if compare the real ones, so their PAR are low. Working with same power but get poor effectiveness, just waste your electric charge.

For your second point, the lumen maintenance of those cheap bulbs cannot be guarantee, I used bought 6 cheap ones only work 3 days then all finish. And good ones after 2 year used only lost 10%, also from China. But those brand online prefer to purchase on cheap price, not best quality.
    If you don't have PAR meter to check bulbs, you 'd better to buy big brand ones like Philips, Gavita.

3. Every hps and cmh I ever bought were purchased online. Not one thing wrong ever. No hydro guy close to me. Replace often like at 6 months. Fresher cheap bulbs are better than old big-buck bulbs anytime. Feels better to replace a $15 lamp than a $65 dollar lamp. Got excellent results with standard Sylvania hps bulbs. All LEDs now😎

4. It means you need to replace 4 bulbs after 2 years, good one after working 2 years the PAR will decrease from 2100μmol/s to 1890μmol/s , still higher than most of cheap brand. Even those cheap brand 1000w the price cannot be only $15.

5. thanks. I'm not buying cheap ones I'm using Philips son-t Plus 600w. It's the same price on eBay but I save $50 petrol if get on eBay rather than driving to hydro store which is a long way from me. I've been replacing every 3rd grow so far just to be safe. Also looking at getting light meter

6. Thanks denis000. Looks like up for more $.

7. You're hydro store guy says don't buy online because he wants your $$$$.

Sent from my XT1028 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. If you're buying bulbs that "lose light" because they are bumped around in transit, then you must not be buying very high quality bullbs. I order my bulbs from Growershouse.com and get bulbs that generally cost $120 each for about $69 because they buy in such bulk. The hydro guy wants you to spend your money at HIS store instead of getting a better price on line....for sure!! Lesson: Don't automatically believe what the guy at the hydro store says. Mine did the same to me until I got smart and realized that I could save about 25% on everything I buy by getting it on line. Another tip: If you order many growing supplies or anything else for that matter, pay the $100 per year fee and get Amazon Prime. You get free shipping on any "prime qualifying" product for 1 year. I saved my $100 in the first month and got some excellent prices on supplies. TWW

9. #10 Hillbil, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
    Growers house is a great HID lamp source. One of my favorite sources for diverse odds and ends also. Used hps for long time.
    Slight edge to horti and Ushio but the standard Sylvania was right there also. Just what happened at my house. Plantlightinghydroponics also.

10. thanks everyone. Had a good feeling it was to make him more money bit thought there may be some truth in it. Either way learnt some more on bulbs. Buying new ballast and will get philips growmaster bulbs.