First Time growing 8 GSC in Superponic system.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by FuzzyNugz, Feb 1, 2016.

1. #1 FuzzyNugz, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016
    Using Superponic grow system, eight GSC under 150 watt HPS in 24x24x60 inches grow cabinet. Started from seeds 1/11/16 transplanted about a week ago, this is week four as of now. Plants are in lite nutrient schedule at 50% strength will go up to 75% this week. My plants are still small. I watered them once to twice a week during the seedling stage and gave them 16 hours of light under two T5 fluorescents this was a three week period form germination to transplant. Now they are in the veg/ flower chamber. As of early this morning I moved the grow light closer it's about two feet from plants. I have some pics any advice or words of encouragement? [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #2 freshmen2phd, Feb 1, 2016
    imho...get more lights. It at least throw a mh bulb in your hood allong with your t5's. It's good to be cautious, and get feedback so with the distance of your lights at least if your t5s are 2 feet away you are depriving them .in your pics the have major bad stretching your hps/mh yes should be anywhere from 10-18 inches away for perfect lighting...maybe more on the 15-24 inches since they are still considered seedlings and barely show a full mature set of true leafs. Your t5 if your using the t5 allong w mh or hps or as a stand alone veg light you can set them right ontop of your girls max four in away. With them that young I'd start w 1/4 strength nutes for the first two weeks then half strength after,...too much nutes and not enough strength from lack of lighting small dangly little fluffy popcorn bud plant...looks like dwc so you at least have that advantage, I as well as many other will suggest to keep your water temp under 70° at all times. Or pythium ( root rot )will set in.....with 8 gsc in a 2x2 tent, I hope you plan on keeping them maybe 1 foot tall . because for max growth quality and potential you will need a tent at least 6ft long 4 ft wide and 6-12 feet tall..your girls are feeding off all that you give them. So I personally would drop your t5to about 4 in.from plants.since they are still so young if you veg with 150w mh bulb keep that 2ft or so awayaway....you said on week four...did you started counting the day it (popped) out if dirt correct?..you may be continually shocking it too by the transplant and boost of nutes. Get that light on them and nurture your baby's they will pick upgrowth spurts it will seem like nothing for a week or 3 and BOOM then slow again. Dunno I'm babbling and in a rush here at home. But all in all if ph is right and you go back to 1/4 strength and drop your t5 closer wait a couple weeks and you will see a big change...and I can't stress how bad root rot is even when you think everything is perfect it will fuck you and have you on your knees crying. I have soil and 12 site rdwc...hope you get some more answers soon . but they look fine just drop those lights closer

3. #3 freshmen2phd, Feb 1, 2016
    heres mine, and my babies are 4 weeks old I have autos in too and they are flowering so my 600w light is maybe a foot away from the highest bud, my babies are getting plenty of energy w it being 600w. Once those autos are done and out I will throw 2 1000 w mh/hps and finish veg then flower and I will keep 1000w only 18-24 in away...so as you see your t5 too far away your 150 watt will be fine for veg but with 8 girls you need at least 1000w to bud and get a descent quality and yeild.and space!

Attached Files:

4. #4 freshmen2phd, Feb 1, 2016
    :)

5. Welcome!!!! Im new to grasscity but i have some experience in dwc, rdwc, and airo. Id like to share my experience. Take things slow and never change multiple things at one time. It makes it hard to identify root causes of issues. Every grow room can been looked at in 2 parts. A ryzo sphere, and atmosphere. You need suitable water and oxygen supply to the root zone(ryzo sphere) to sustain healthy steril roots. The temp. Of the water resivour is important to fighting bacteria and maintaing higher levels if disolved oxygen in the water. 58°f to 68°f is the temp range you want to be in. The amount of disolved oxygen that the water can support begins to drop off above 68°f. It becomes unsustainable to support life above 73°.(common temp for non chilled rez) above 73° also marks the peak temp to support bacterial life.(the enemy). Your plant may not respond well to a temp at the 58°f to 64°f, can be stressful depending on strain and room enviormental factors. Adjust your temps 1 degree at a time, 1 a day. Always use RO water. Always. Supliment with cal mag(botanicar cal mag plus 2ml/gal),check ppm or ec, then add base nutes.
    I like to start my clones in a rdwc veg system, chilled with about 500ppm, room temp 75° to 80° with humidity 50% to 75%.
    Flip your water every seven days if your rez is not chilled. You can run as long as two weeks with a chiller and steril aditives.
    PHing your water depends on nutes and water source.
    I need more info to relate to your set up.
    About any problems you may have, when in doubt, flush it out. Drain all water and replace and add nutes to 50%.
    I like synthetic nutes, cyco, current culture, dutch master, advanced nutrients....i like em all for different reasons.
    Dont use nutrients that are derived from urea, these are not usable for the plant with out bacteria consuming it (the enemy). It will cause rez problems.
    Ill end here. Let me know if you would like me to continue. Hope some of this help as well. Post some pics of these ladies up to dat as well!

6. Welcome!!!! Im new to grasscity but i have some experience in dwc, rdwc, and airo. Id like to share my experience. Take things slow and never change multiple things at one time. It makes it hard to identify root causes of issues. Every grow room can been looked at in 2 parts. A ryzo sphere, and atmosphere. You need suitable water and oxygen supply to the root zone(ryzo sphere) to sustain healthy steril roots. The temp. Of the water resivour is important to fighting bacteria and maintaing higher levels if disolved oxygen in the water. 58°f to 68°f is the temp range you want to be in. The amount of disolved oxygen that the water can support begins to drop off above 68°f. It becomes unsustainable to support life above 73°.(common temp for non chilled rez) above 73° also marks the peak temp to support bacterial life.(the enemy). Your plant may not respond well to a temp at the 58°f to 64°f, can be stressful depending on strain and room enviormental factors. Adjust your temps 1 degree at a time, 1 a day. Always use RO water. Always. Supliment with cal mag(botanicar cal mag plus 2ml/gal),check ppm or ec, then add base nutes.
    I like to start my clones in a rdwc veg system, chilled with about 500ppm, room temp 75° to 80° with humidity 50% to 75%.
    Flip your water every seven days if your rez is not chilled. You can run as long as two weeks with a chiller and steril aditives.
    PHing your water depends on nutes and water source.
    I need more info to relate to your set up.
    About any problems you may have, when in doubt, flush it out. Drain all water and replace and add nutes to 50%.
    I like synthetic nutes, cyco, current culture, dutch master, advanced nutrients....i like em all for different reasons.
    Dont use nutrients that are derived from urea, these are not usable for the plant with out bacteria consuming it (the enemy). It will cause rez problems.
    Ill end here. Let me know if you would like me to continue. Hope some of this help as well. Post some pics of these ladies up to dat as well!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks for the advice! I was definitely thinking about bringing the light closer I had it like three feet away. I'll be using the 150w HPS so ill bring it in about to 12-15 inches. That should be good right?

8. this diagram is for hps lights. With 150 hps you can get desently close especially if you have an fan sucking heat out. With your girls still young and fragile I wouldn't go any lower than 15 in as they grow keep lifting the light a few in. Here and there but they will also start getting hardier so they can take a little more intensity so maybe week 7 you can cut back on how many inches your lifting the light as they grow

9. so as you see when they get strong and start to bud you can get as close as 4 inches!!!! Imagine the calyx and trichome production with your lumens pumping thru close like that!... Well we all know to get our research and ask questions next trial and error to success ....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Man, I really appreciate all the advice!!! I am using distilled water, PH'd to 6.2, 50% power nutes, . Room temp is kept between 65-78 degrees Fahrenheit, RH is 50-75 percent. I just transplanted them last Tuesday, since then they have been under my 150 watt HPS hanging about 2-2 1/2 feet over, I plan on bringing it to about 1 foot above plants now after research and other's advice. It's top feed and deep water culture and I keeping the water level close to the bottom of the plant basket, to encourage root growth. 16/8 light schedule. The nutes I'm using as of now are Root 66 and Sugar Daddy[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

I've included more info and pics thanks again!!!

11. Thanks so much guys! I'm going take heed to all the advice and make adjustments.

12. Yes I would like you to continue! I gave you more info in another post above. Let me know what you think? Thanks!

13. #13 HotBunz, Feb 1, 2016
    How do your roots look? How far into the rez are they? If you started these on 1-11 then you are on the start of week 3 today Feb 1. Not a big fan of TechnaFlora's RFS. Just way to much mixing needed for a new grower which I assume you are. K.I.S.S. when you are just starting out.

Due to your very limited lighting switch to a 20/4 or a 24/0 light schedule. You are never going to grow 8 GSC's in a 24x24 area. Any company who would sell a product like this with 8 pots in that small a rez assumes you are growing peppers and NOT cannabis. Weed out your 5 weakest plants and focus on the 3 strongest. Even that is going to be hard in that area with all in a common rez. Frankly 2 GSC done right would be very very tight in that area. Granted you have some control over plant size with photoperiod plants with veg time length. But first and foremost we have to get your plants on track and thriving. Are these fem seeds or do we need to take into account sexing still?

Also let's get that ph down to 5.8.

14. They are fem seeds. I purchased this grow cabinet from supercloset, and it actually has another Rez that holds eight more pots. I was wondering how you could grow sixteen plants in such a small space, but now you're telling me that it's too small for even eight. Guess I just have an extra Rez. Anymore advice?

15. Also the roots have not come out of the pots yet. I'm keeping the water level pretty close to the pots as of now. The roots have poked through the wool cubes though just not through the hydroton and pots.

16. I just realized this was a SuperCloset box. Sadly you could have built a larger cabinet with the same or better gear for about half the cost.

If your girls don't even have roots into the rez yet at their age we really have your work cut out for you. Just for reference I have a Bomb Seeds Cherry Bomb in a 3.5 gallon Bubble Bucket. Simple General Hydro Grow, Micro and Cal/Mag. She is at day 14 and her roots are 18 inches long in the rez.

We have to figure out the cause for the stunting and correct the problem. Get as much light on them as you can. As long as you are dealing with feminized seeds cull the 8 down to the best 3. Get that scrog netting out of the way(I can't believe they really send a net with 8 inch openings it's almost an insult) Drain the rez and replace the solution using just GROW. Set your ppm to 125 because we just don't know where they are at this point. We gotta' get them growing and into the water.

17. Yeah I'm new to this so I felt more comfortable just buying the cab. Next investment will be more informed most likely will be a grow tent. Supercloset, I'm sure is capitalizing on noobs like me. So I started the seedlings under (2) T5's In my seedling/cloning chamber 16/8 light schedule. Watered them once to twice a week when cubes lost 50% moisture. PH'd to 6.5 no nutrients. Transplanted them a week ago when I saw roots at the bottom. Stared 50% nutrient and now per everyone's advice have moved the light (150 watt HPS) closer about one foot from the plants and they are now on a 18/6 light schedule. Some of the weaker plants leaves are turning yellow, not sure if that a nitrogen issue.

When you say drain and replace with just GROW do you mean just PH'd water and not nutrients?

18. So I've been putting the light closer at about a foot now. Some plants are displaying nutrient deficiency leaves are yellowing, and curling, not sure if it's nitrogen. Drained my Rez last night, new water new solution. Ppm is down to 125. So em good news is one plant roots is coming out through the pot now. Water temp has been a little high 74 degrees. How should I go about cooling it?

19. Just went to my local hydroponic shop and they were very helpful told me everything I needed to do to get my girls on track! I'll post a pic in a week to show how my next step has effected the girls.

20. ......and what did they tell you?