Stealthbox Journal

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by HoldTite, Jan 31, 2016.

1. #1 HoldTite, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    EDIT: This post started as me seeking advice on the design and setup of my box, slowly turning into a journal.
    If you're here please scim through the first posts and comment on anything that may help me (regardless of how old the post is) for future grows, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask I will try and answer as best I can.

Hey everyone this is my first post after a long time lurking in these forums, I have came across many great stealth/microgrows here and I'm hoping for a little advice. I'm almost ready to start but want to make sure everything is in order to avoid any mishaps if possible.

Box (internal) dimensions:
    46cm W
    31cm D
    66cm H.

Lights:
    Plan on running CFL's
    X3 24watt 2700k
    X2 30watt 6500k. 132w Total

Photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I plan on 1 plant LST/SCROG
    My questions are
    1. Will these lights provide enough?
    2. My exhaust is pushing through my carbon filter, should I put the material on the inside to avoid dust getting into the carbon?
    3. I have x2 pc fans @ 1350 rpm 74 cfm, one for canopy and another for intake, should I remove the intake fan to create negative pressure? Or use my dimmer switch to lower the speed? (will be testing using incense and recording inside to evaluate)
    4. I realise my exhaust should be at the top but I had to compromise for stealth, is this ok or should I put a small mesh on the inside to stop leaves getting sucked through? Or create a pipe at 90' to suck in the air close as possible to the lights?

I have a small amount of experience when it comes to growing I have visited a few large grows and successfully grew 3 plants when I was a teenager pulling 2oz each which taught me a lot, still got a long way to go :)
    I'm hoping to start a grow journal this coming weekend either with seeds or a clone but for the rest of the week I will be running tests, odor control is a fairly large factor in this grow.

Thanks for reading. Any additional information/advice also links to other successful similar grows is welcome thanks again.
    HoldTite

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  2. It looks quite well put together I'm not sure on the way the carbon filter is setup as I was strongly advised against doing it that way however I'm also inexperienced and currently undergoing my first grow so I've commented mostly to give you a bump so that others can help

as for the intake i'd just go with a passive intake and focus on extraction for heat control though I shouldn't imagine it will be a problem with 130w

Wish you all the best with your grow and feel free to check out mine if you get the chance

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for the input!
    I also thought passive, I'm just slightly paranoid about the stankk. I will keep my eyes on your grow hopefully my seeds arrive soon and il be just a few days behind you.

4. Don't consider this an insult, but I am assuming you are aware that one spectrum is for veg and the other for flower. Make sure all bulbs are the correct spectrum during each cycle. No need to waste precious light space on a spectrum that is doing you no good at any particular time. CFLs are great for veg, but the buds it produces are pretty lackluster. They are generally light and fluffy instead of the dense heavy ones we're all trying to grow. However, with stronger flowering light comes the heat issue. Any time you're trying to grow in such a small space, heat is going to be your biggest issue...even with CFLs. An LED would serve you better when it comes time to flower, but they definitely don't come cheap....at least the ones worth anything. Not sure about the carbon filter hook up. We don't even have one for our room.....one of the super advantages of living in the sticks. LOL While you've spent lots of time and effort trying to figure out the mechanics of the grow space, don't overlook the "how to grow" part of the process. There are several basics that every new grower needs to know before they start to help make their experience as easy as possible. You've got to admit, there is a lot to process with one of these grows and the more good solid information you have to go on, the better time you'll have with it. Get in the new grower threads here on the forum and read up on how to grow these plants the right way. There are several threads posted just for the new grower that contain all this basic information that you'll need. Good luck! Hope all goes well for you. TWW

• Like Like x 1
  5. That looks terrific! My concern is the heat and the exhaust. You need to do a dry run with everything going to see what the temperatures get up to. Also you will always want negative pressure...that means no smells are escaping, everything is being drawn into the grow box and out of the carbon filter. As long as those PC fans do the trick I would say good job.

Smell is you number once concern. The plants can get super stinky. Think about how you will water them, or even just care for them. You have to open up the door and when you do it will smell up the whole house, just one plant. I'm being serious. Just opening the door to look at your plants will stink up them room and the next one to it.

6. @TWW I've got x5 of each light to play around with. I'm considering a slow transition into the flowering(2700k) bulbs and possibly keeping one veg(6500k) going. With regards to light fluffy buds I'm aware of this and I've seen some decent results from this community using CFL's I'm not a heavy smoker but a long time daily smoker, I've only skimmed the surface when it comes to LED's and it's likely il take that road in the not so distance future. There sure is more to it than people think just trying to absorb all info available!
    If you have a grow journal link it up bro! Peace

7. @Airf0nz0
    Thanks man I know how stinky it can get so I want to take every precaution before I put anything in. As long as it doesn't smell while sealed its bless I can deal with it ponging out this room for an hour or so. I've already seen many grows that simply underestimate how potent she can get. I built this myself fairly easy I don't mind altering it at all without compromising the stealth.
    Thanks again everyone

8. What TWW said is an over statement.

I vegged for a long time under a 2700 watt CFL.

The spectrum may not be ideal but it will still grow the plant.

I also flowered under a 6500 + actinic fish tank light. The plants still flowered.

And I agree my CFL buds are light and airy... but they are still crystal covered and still get you high... so unless you're selling I dont see the problem..

210 watt perpetual box
    https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1394922-210-watt-3.5-sq-ft-Northern-Lights-and-White-Widow:

9. Quick update on the box
    I have lowered my lights by 1inch to help with temps, I also added a fan directed at the lights and an exhaust feed from higher in the box.
    Just playing around atm with different things on/off testing temps and humidity. I also tested for negative pressure and unsure if my intake is big enough for this box although it is sucking air in (poor quality photo) made a DIY light trap for the intake and it kinda works lol.
    Have been trying to get my head around the small light leaks around the door they look big in the photos but there's 1-2mm gap, any suggestions?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. For the light leaks I had a similar problem I used black/white reflective you can buy in rolls from grow shop
    and taped it to the edge of the door so you can still open and shut but when shut it covers the gap not sure if this makes much sense im not very good at explaining things msg me if you don't understand and ill try get a pic of mine

11. Thanks man it does make sense, I don't have a grow shop near me but I presume duct tape taped together and stuck on the back with a 2-3mm lip around the edge on the back might work.
    I made my intake larger today and put apiece of cooker filter material either side(removed intake pc fan), it's stops light reasonably well still allowing good intake.
    Temperatures are still too high when running all 5 lights, my exhaust fan is kinda shitty was expecting a little bit more power. When I remove the carbon filter and just blow the air straight out of the box temps drop significantly, If I was to remove the layer of material around my carbon filter would this have much effect on odor control? I know it may decrease the lifespan of the carbon inside and air will escape from points of least resistance first but from what I can tell the hot air being exhausted is of too low pressure and causing hot air to back up from the filter into the box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Mr Bear is a boss! Lol what a great result from such a small space very impressed.
    Trying to get these temps on lock! I can run all 5 lights without the filter attached and temps are fine but with it on it backs up quickly and temps rising to high 80s, I may increase the intake size yet again as I can feel a small change in air speed from the exhaust when the door is open/closed.
    Getting there slowly but surely, I'm not looking for short term fixes like ice bottles etc, I can keep my room at any temp easily and it stays the same temp year round.
    Just had a quick idea before I post would anyone advise to remove the duct tape around my exhaust and switch it for this foil pipe I have? Not to sure but maybe the duct tape is acting as a slight insulator, Also swap the inside tumble dryer pipe for the foil one?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Made a few more adjustments today, I swapped all pipe for the foil type also removed filter material and temperatures stayed lower for longer but eventually crept up.
    I secured another pc fan pointing up to blow cool air, looking into a better fan for the canopy the current one is a cheap usb type but will do for now. My issue still is not having enough pressure to push the air through the carbon so I'm tempted to buy a stronger fan.
    Would a booster fan sitting directly on the carbon filter show any improvement? I read a little about fans in series and found that 2 fans would not increase cfm but will increase pressure which is good right?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Nice box!! Typically you get your fan and filter matched, because the filter is going to drop your flow by 20%. Fans are most efficient when they pull from the filter, rather than pushing air down a tube. Given the size of your box, I see why it's on the outside, but you may get a little more air through, if you get the filter up and inline with your vent hole, removing the two bends from your exhaust line (inside the box and outside) should increase the airflow some.

~GHG~

15. I agree with ghg totally understandable how you've set up your carbon filter however it would be a lot better if you just mounted it to the outside of the fan
    Let us know how you get on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Do yourself a favor and ditch the shitty cfl`s and get you a 250w hps with an air cooled hood.

17. put a plant in it already!

18. Thanks for the input peeps I have been really busy so a lack of updates! This is really just a test grow for me and I will more than likely upgrade and upsize after this run, I basically built the box without even planning it first so my next build will be better. I purchased a better inline fan with 2 speed settings which has sorted out all temperature issues running on the lower setting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got an indoor feminised mixed seed deal and chose a healthy looking seed from the bunch, we will have to see what strain it turns out to be from:
    Grapefruit
    Critical
    Big Bang 2
    White widow
    Double berry

Should I start a new thread for a journal or just keep this one going?

19. Quick update guys I have had my plant under one 30watt CFL for a week now and I need a bit of advice on a few things.
    Should I add another light now or leave it a few more days?
    First signs of roots coming through the cup, when would be the best to transplant to a larger pot? I was thinking of doing 2 transplants or would it be best to go straight to the larger pot, I reckon a few more days till I see some more roots come through before I'm ready to repot.
    I'm using an organic all mix but I have some nutes on stand by, I'm hesitant to use any yet I think it's too soon.
    Any advice is helpful!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also is there a way to change the thread name? I've looked and had no luck.

• Like Like x 1