Closet grow in Mi garage

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by jonnyvee, Jan 31, 2016.

1. #1 jonnyvee, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2016
    I have a closet in my garage that I want to set up for growing and could use some input, I used this a couple years ago for a grow and it worked OK but want to really set it up now, garage is attached and closet is on a inside wall, lower section is open 6' by 2' and 6' tall, there are a foot and a half of shelves on each side for a total of 9' and the doors are just a piece of plywood that slides back and forth at 3' each, upper chamber is 9' by 2' and about 3' tall, there are two 3' swinging doors on it.
    I plan on running a 8" heat vent to the room as it gets a bit chilly in the winter as in freezing, also plan on a exhaust fan for when it gets stinky,
    wondering on what to do with the walls as far as reflection and also some better doors that can be insulated?
    Using a 150 HPS for vegg in the utility room

Have one 400 watt HPS right now for flower in the tent and will probably get another for the closet
    Anyone have experience in using a cold garage?
    I have a 39" x 39" by 72" tent inside now and it needs to go, no room for the tent really.
    I plan on vegging and clones in the top and flower in the bottom

I am kind of rural with no real close neighbors and no one knows about this
    Summer I put some out in the woods and they go nuts but really want to use the closet year round
    also this will be soil grow

Thanks for any input

2. You'll need either Mylar to line the walls with or some of those plastic white sheets (can't think of the name right now) that's almost like a tarp. They sell it at the supply houses and it is white but has even a bit better reflectivity than the Mylar and is much more durable for your money. We also live in the middle of the sticks and wouldn't have it any other way. LOL It's because of that that I'm even able to do a grow. The double layer grow space will work but with all the different lighting you'll be using in there, managing the heat in the warmer months is going to be your challenge. As far as your cabinet, etc., the only thing that matters is that it is light leak-proof and can manage the heat of the lights without burning down in flames. There are some threads here concerning grow rooms, cabinets, etc. and I'm sure you can find some help in the different posts on these threads. Others will be by with suggestions as well. Nothing I have put together inside has ever remotely compared with the buds the sun produces, but it's a heck of a lot of fun and a way to have good green all year round without having to worry about stockpiling. Good luck! TWW

3. #3 jonnyvee, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2016
    Thanks for the reply TTW
    I'm not to worried about the heat in the summer as it stays about 10-15 degrees cooler in the garage anyway in the summer and the heat duct will be AC in the summer, I have a Geothermal unit and it is the best Air Conditioner I have ever seen, not so much a great heater though, more worried about the cold, as I said I did use it one winter when it wasn't real bad and only had the heat vent and a 150 HPS and it stayed in the 60's for the most part so I figure if I insulate the doors somehow and do it up right with the walls it should be good, I may not even use the lower part come summer as the great outdoors will be used, just the top for clones and veg, I have a huge cornfield on one side, a river on the other and a half mile of woods in the back, that no one goes in but my dogs.

4. #4 medicatedgenius, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
    If you are fortunate to have a walled room. I would remove all shelves, and paint the room with an anti fungal primer and then paint with a durable flat white latex paint.

I like to utilize mylar and reflective tarps when you build free standing, but if you are already enclosed then a flat white room will reflect light very very well, if not better than mylar without the hassle.

Make sure you have enough fresh filtered air coming in, and make sure the floor is covered in something other than carpet. Preferably plastic or something that will not help critters hide.

Best of luck.

5. The paint idea sounds easy and cheap however my entire garage and the closet is Mahogany panels from the early fifties and painting that wonderful wood is probably not going to happen, I will find something reflective for the walls, damn space is so narrow though at 2 feet but it is long, I don't sell and it's just for me so really don't need a lot, I will more than likely get enough from my tent grow right now to last me a year, just want to do it up for a year or so and I wouldn't have to worry about it for a long time.
    Floor is concrete and there are bugs around but hopefully nothing that will harm the plants, I'm not going to be checking humidity, making sure all the nutes are perfect and all that shit, it's a weed and grows easy, if I complicate it it will not work, just looking for some ideas for the closet.
    I think now I'm looking at two 400 watt lights in the 6 foot space for flower with a exhaust fan with carbon filter, it should pull the air from below so it will be cool in summer, get some of the white sheeting and probably just go with that and see what happens

6. Have you considered LED lights? They are cheaper, run cooler, and in your tight space would be quite effective without all the heat and danger of ballasts etc.

Yeah, I wouldn't paint the wood either, anything mylar or flat white will work.
    BTW welcome to the forums I'm kinda new here also. I don't ever assume anyone here is growing to sell. Most people are here growing medication for themselves or those they love.

Best of luck in your grow room.
    MG

7. Hey mg I'm an old timer tbh regarding this forum it's against the rules to grow to sell. Regarding gc, but tbh I know of ppl bypassing this some how.

Glad to have read this thread still I'm thinking of doing something similar with a grow cabinet but I'm so lost with the LEDS though. I need to learn fast 😂😂

8. Especially with the paint thing 👌👌👌👌

9. Painting is good.. Most paint designed for showers and kitchens that are resistive to fungus and bacteria are good.
    Air, Food, Water, Light. My unit is made from shelves I had in the garage. Wrapped in in Cardboard that is covered in Mylar. View attachment 1960853

I know that not all LED's are made the same, but I am using pretty cheap panels that seem to be doing the job. Won't know until flowering is done though.