Living Wage

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lenny., Jan 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i think a living wage should be up to the individual person.
    I don't think the government should set it for every one else.
    Maybe the States can set their own if they like.
    I like each state to have its own identity.
    Why are we wanting every where to be the same?

2. Well more importantly, the cost of living in the States varies so widely that it's impossible to come up with anything workable at the Federal level anyways.

3. minimum wage =\= living wage

-Yuri

4. To me a living wage is a wage that is enough to live on your own.

Pay rent, pay bills, feed yourself.

For families a living wage is a wage where both parents together can raise kids, however they choose to work it out.

Too many entitled liberals aare sitting here saying shit like "I am a single mom of two kids working at McDonald's and cannot afford my kids, therefore minimum wage"

So like, the single people who aren't raising kids because they are just working a summer job in hoghschool, they gonna be rich...

When minimum wage is designed to be a living wage, it excludes all people not trying to earn a living.

"Sorry you cannot get a job to help pay for college because we only pay enough to raise two kids and therefore cannot afford single students

-Yuri

5. Well I just got a better job for $14 an hour but yeah $300 a week my utilities plus rent is $500 I'm on my dad's health insurance cause I'm only 19 but fuxk that just go to school and get a decent paying job

6. Minimum wage employees can usually get daycare paid for. Before my kids were old enough I handed my daycare lady $300 a week every Friday. While the lower income families came in, signed their kids out and left either paying nothing or barely anything. There's plenty of programs for low income families to get daycare for employment

Sent from my XT1028 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. ;
    Good deal. There's a world of difference between $10/hr and $14/hr. Anything you can make above your basic expenses is gravy. I think this means you now have disposable income, congratulations. Now come up with a plan for your future. If you don't know exactly what you want to pursuit, pick something that requires some kind of training or education in a field there's a demand for and go for it. Make sure there's a demand before you make your decision. Do it before you accumulate responsibilities like maybe a wife and kids to support and when you're 19 more people will be willing to help or encourage you. Later when you get it all figured out and know what you want to do with your life you'll already have a trade that will pay you above minimum and you can support yourself while making your career move. I wasted years trying to come up with a plan for my future and it's tough to manage life with no training or education and a family to support. It's like one big trap.

8. i don't really know how that relates to my point, but i am indeed aware of the array of social programs for low income families

9. Quoted the wrong post. I was quoting some you quoted and accidentally hit your post instead

10. hey Yuri a single parent with two kids SHOULDNT be working at a min wage job, well maybe for their second job to supplement their income.
    Min wage isn't designed for that kind of income....maybe for the high school kid working ten hours a week at mcds or something.
    But not someone tryingnto support two kids.

11. So what should a single parent do? Just fuck off and become homeless with their kids? Go to a college that is prohibitively expensive? How would they make the time? They certainly couldn't afford childcare earning a minimum wage.

12. Single parents do what single parents have to do. There's no protocol for it. They live their lives and raise their kids. Some struggle, some don't. Much like married parents

13. it should be 15-25 but i think 10 could get the ball rolling

14. 2 words. Construction. Shitty job, shitty work, shitty hours, good pay.

Women can work construction 2. Ive met like 3 girls in the 8 yrs ive been working and they were loaded with money.

15. I start plumbing school in the fall

16. Construction is only 1 word unless you count the 8 following words and not everyone finds it shitty.

17. I meant it figuratively :). I literraly think its the best way 2 go if your stuck at a minemum wage jpb.

18. single parent should have waited until they have a steady source of income before they got knocked up. If anything, Should have gotten knocked up by a person who will support them. Not just with anyone.

19. if anyone who supports this wants to answer my questions it would be cool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.