Fluoro vs his vs led

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Jimbilly2, Jan 27, 2016.

1. OK so this has been bugging me. I believe this to be a fairly simple question so I would like a simple answer if at all possible. Let's say I have 3 bulbs, one t5, one hid, and one led. Now let's say each bulb emits one single lumen each. My question is would all three have equal penetration? Example would the one lumen t5 penetrate a canopy as far as the one lumen hid, ect.? Not trying to start a debate on the best grow light, just wanting a simple answer for a simple question.

Sent from my Z970 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I believe since lumens are measured all the same way no matter what light, I think your asking the same as " what weighs more, a pound of rocks or a pound of feathers?" Lol.

3. You asked for a simple answer. :)

4. Ok I see, only reason I really asked is because I always hear about HPS having more penetration. But I would think as long as lumens are exactly the same penetration would be too. Thanks for the quick reply

5. Ha ha and yes I was pleased with the simplicity of your answer

6. Total lumens from multiple lights will have less penetration than a single bulb of near equivalent lumen output,.. Even a single 1k hid will give better penetration than 2 600's... You want for the light to completely penetrate through the leaf - not just lay on the surface IMO. . :)

7. Hmm that's interesting I've always thought it would be better to have more bulbs spread out than a single source as long as the total lumens are equal. I do appreciate your response, I'm just trying to wrap my head around all the information on artificial lighting as there is a lot of it that is hear say. Its very complicated for someone as myself that is TOTALLY new to all this.

8. Spreading it out would be great - I worked with friends that had 6 - 1000 watt lamps placed vertically around 1 plant with a single 1000 watt overhead so all sides got as much light as the top,. The side buds were as large as the main tops in that dried the size and length of your arm... So if you can afford to run 7000 watts per plant... 38% thc percentages are very possible.. :)

9. It is not right to measure grow light by Lumens, see here http://www.gavita-holland.com/index.php/item/lumen...
    The best 1k HPS grow light can supply 2100μmol/s, and 600w can offer 1150μmol/s, so 2pcs 600w better than 1 1000w.

10. A single 1k bulb still beats 2 in intensity, you can run the 2-600's closer to the plants to get the same total light spread out, for the additional 200 watts of draw - but the total penatration will still be 1/2 - I run a hydrofarm radiant 6" a/c hood that has a 95% reflectivity rating with a hortilux 1k hps that are one of the best in the buisness.. to make it fair you need a 600 and 400 watt or give the 1k a additional 250 watt hid to make the total watts equil.. so what's the par output of that...

11. Yes, you are right, 600w 1150μmol/s + 400w 745μmol/s = 1895μmol/s still less than 1000w bulb in theoretically. And I asked some people 1x 1000w do performance better than 2x 600w bulbs in practice.

12. HI dennis000. how do get more information regarding your company in china?