Scrog tips and tricks?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Homegrown dread, Jan 25, 2016.

1. I have a small closet grow with one White Urkle and one Samuel Jackson. There big bushy and beautiful! I've topped them a couple times and LSTed them as much a s I could before putting up my Scrog screen. I was planning to let them come through the screen then once they are an inch or two above it I'll bend them over and secure it to the screen, allowing the lower branches and lower nodes a chance to get to the same level as the rest of the canopy. Please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or if you have any suggestions or comments. I'm doing this hoping to increase my yield while using such a small grows pace. Wish me luck!

[​IMG][​IMG]16/01/25/09596d29641679b61521df15b44784bb.jpg[/IMG][​IMG]

Happy Growing

2. looks like you are a bit late with the scrog since they are already a good way into flower.
    you want to train them during veg and tuck under the net when they grow through creating more bud sites. plants look great but i dont think the net is quite serving its purpose here.

Sent from my VS986 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. im no expert but here is mine. ill let the whole screen fill up then start to flower 1453811007061.jpg

Sent from my VS986 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. There's no reason to top plants that are going to be scrogged. It doesn't make sence to remove 1 bud site so 2 can grow larger which slows the plant down. In scrog and lst you bend the plant over and all 3 bud sites grow larger and the plant isn't slowed down. Get the net in their earlier and let the plant grow into the net. I scrog, it takes longer to fill a net by topping.

Sent from my XT1028 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Awesome! Thank you for all the suggestions and tricks. Ima definitely do it earlier next time and get my plants completely Vegged out first. And not topping them makes total sense. Ima continue with my setup now and some LST just for experimental purposes but i will definitely put these tips and suggestions into affect on my next grow. Thanks for checking it out and here's some more progress shots

[​IMG][​IMG]

Happy Growing

6. What size is your net? 2 plants?

7. It's a 24x16 closet grow (small) Samuel Jackson on the left white Urkle on the right. They're only about a foot tall and a foot wide canopy.

Happy Growing

8. I would suggest 1 plant and fill the net more before flowering. Its going to be difficult keeping 2 different strains even under such a small net. I like filling my nets atleast 90% full if not 100% before flipping. I like my plants time spent flowering above the net not catching the net and filling it.

9. Ok yeah I see now that's the way I should have done it! Is it going to hurt having the trellis there now? Should I take it out and save it for my next grow or just let it grow through the trellis? Thanks

Happy Growing

10. No its just not going to be even or full. 1 of the benefits of scrog is keeping the tops even so light is evenly distributed. Resulting in less buds that don't receive their fair share of light. Just giving you ideas on things to work on next time. Everyone starts somewhere. Use this time as a guage on how much too fill it next time. Here's 1 thing I think confuses some. When I say I fill my nets 90-100% full I mean 90-100% of the squares of the net have a bud site in them. Some think since there's a big fan leaf blocking 4 squares that means those 4 squares are full. Just want to clarify. [​IMG] I like mine full. I believe this is just under 1 week after flip. I don't have any pics closer to flip on this phone. Its just growing through so it looked pretty much like this just all tucked under. That's 1 plant in a 2x4 scrog. I do either 1 or 2 plants in that net. Anything 2x2 or under I only do 1 plant.

11. Awesome I'm definitely going to Scrog my next grow and use your tips. I've taken clones from both of my current girls, I was wondering if I could take clones from my clones? And if it would affect yields? Or potency? I wouldn't think it would but maybe I'm wrong.

Happy Growing

12. Yes its fine. I don't keep mother plants. 1 generation clones for the next. Over and over. You just have to figure out your timing so you don't take them to early and end up with monsters waiting to flower. Or too late and spend a bunch of time waiting on the next generation. Also you need a 2nd grow space to grow the clones out. Your space is so small that by the time the current plants flower your going to have pretty big clones/ plants to put in there. Maybe look into monster cropping. Its a way taking clones in flower. Therefore there's less time for them to be growing. I like monster cropped clones. They grow all crazy and work great in scrogs. Like I said it's a timing thing, something you'll have to figure out what works best for you cloning this way. Just remember you're clones have atleast 2 more months of growing before this grow space is available again.

13. Neither yields nor potency is effected. As you get to know the strain it will only get better

14. Not trying to hijack here but that looks really nice man curious on dry weight off a run like vegged out like that I got same size tent

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. My space is small and tight but for my first grow ever I was able to get just over 2 ounces. I'm hoping to double that this time now that I kinda know what I'm doing lol. Regardless I'm going to keep growing and keep getting better and better with bigger and better yields each time.

Happy Growing

16. As with anything it depends on the strain, lights, experience, environment. The size of a tent has very little to do w. It if you don't have the right equipment and growing experience to fill it. I haven't even weighed anything since my last lighting change. I'm very bad at that. I've been using a 400 watt hps and a 400 watt led. I wasn't impressed with the led and was just checking it out. I'm currently flowering w/ 2 Solis tek 600 watt hps dialed down to 400 each... 800 watts in total so we'll see. 1st time set up like this. I'll see if I can even find my scale. Its been awhile. When all I had was a 400 watt hid in there I was getting around 2/3-3/4 of a pound strain depending. I have access to several strains. That was awhile ago, lots less power and no scrog only lst. I didn't like only 1 light in a tent shaped like that. Very uneven coverage. I won't know about my current set up for a few more weeks.