Your Nose

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by NorseMythology, Jan 25, 2016.

1. I ve been losing sense of smell

2. I hear ya

3. lol, what do you think they wanted to do? This ought to be good.

4. Can you drink a pint?

Typed in the cockpit of a runaway Boeing

5. Isn't it dangerous in traffic not being able to hear horns honk and trucks coming? Can you listen to the radio? Do you understand what music is? I think even if you can read thoughts you'd still need sound receptors for other things besides communication.

6. Life without perceiving sound would be a bummer.

7. He can probably get drunk telepathically lol. Perhaps he feeds off other peoples sensations of being drunk around the world

8. I believe that our senses atrophy if not used. Like legs some one doesn't walk on for a while and they atrophy. I broke my leg once and it happened to me. So smell, seeing, hearing, touch all of it weakens if we don't use them.

9. #29 killset, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2016
    How exactly do you not use smell other then walking around plugging your nose looking silly? Or health/physical issue?
    Sent from my XT1028 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Hoping to get lucky and have the dog sniff out any drugs
    you might have in your house, I'd imagine.

11. I was relating it to survival. Historically smell must have played a role in our survival, but I don't think its as necessary anymore. I wonder if its diminished in acuity as a result specifically.

12. Its still very relevant to our survival. What about a gas leak in your home. Mercaptan is added to make it smell like rotten eggs so we don't go boom as a safety precaution . That's only 1 of many needs for smell. I hunt, its how I feed myself to survive. Hunting is an essential part of survival for some. Not so much me, I could choose to buy more groceries, but some live remote enough its definetly essential. Smell helps hunters track. There's a million things smell helps us survive w/. Chemical, fire is often smelled way before any flames or smoke is seen. Maybe a small electrical fire behind a wall for example.

13. Exactly, if you failed in hunting you could go buy it. We have smoke detectors to smell for us. Even if we couldn't smell food is rotten, we would taste it or go to the doctor and be treated.

My point isn't that we don't use it, I'm saying it's becoming less critical to survival and less keen.

Our eyes are another example. We no longer require acute vision to survive, instead we train our eyes for near-sightedness (spending most of our time looking at screens, being confined within 4 walls at home and at work)

Speaking very generally of course.

14. Me, not everyone, not some back woods tribe in south america that's had little contact with the outside world for example. I don't see them moving to the bug city. I would "survive" buying expensive hormone pumped mistreated animal meat but I wouldn't be surviving the way I want to survive and need to survive for peace of mind and we'll being. Even the cows I get come from local farmers. Its very important to be able to smell when it comes to processing your own meat. Its not survival for everyone to go to the store.

There's still the undeniable ol' nose warning system that kicks in at dangerous situations to help us survive.

15. I wasn't talking about such people, maybe i didnt specify. Actually, that would be an interesting way to test this idea, comparing their acuity against ours.

16. Well, considering there were two helicopters circling the neighborhood, and the fact that I could see the rest of them out the back door searching, and the fact that the officer commanded the dog immediately to go to the back door...I'm gonna go with no.

Believe it or not, all police officers don't exist solely to bust you for weed.

17. also smoke detectors are not everywhere and they do not warn us of all potential hazardous smells. Our nose does and nobody forgets to replace the batteries, its also portable, I don't want to live w/o the sense of smell. It would be a handicap. Not to mention the simple smells that just make life better. No way I want to go w/o smell

There's one other thing we may be all forgetting about anymore because we're all horney bastards anymore, but the scent of the opposite sex. There's studies of men being able to detect when a woman's ovulating by scent, sending our testosterone into overdrive. We probably dont think about it but there are days a girlfriend/wife are just extra sexy. Well men that are into the opposite sex anyways.

18. Aesthetically speaking, I've been told I have a perfect nose. That always stuck with me, cuz it was a cute girl I kinda liked that said it lol. But my sense of smell reallly sucks these days, and so along with that my sense of taste as well. It's from the copious amounts of powder that have gone up my nose the past few years, Really sucks the things I've traded for drugs.