Your Nose

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by NorseMythology, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Smelling is probably the most under-appreciated/utilized sense we possess. It makes me wonder, what are the true capabilities of our olfactory? Was it more capable in the past? As far as survival, how could our nose help us?

We can smell if milk is rotten, or burning leaves, banana bread in the oven etc. But our noses must have had a role to play in our survival in the past, so I assume they were more keen than mine is now. Could they smell if a fruit was ripe? Could they smell animals or humans?

Are our noses going 'bad' simply because we don't really require them to survive anymore?

Recently I heard of a study where women could smell a capatible mate? I am also fairly sure women have a keener sense of smell than males.

Not sure where I am going with this, just a curiosity, and wanted to hear from my fellow blades.

2. Whenever organ/body part efficiency talk comes up, I immediately point to the Mantis Shrimp's eye. If that little fkr can have ultra vision to a ridiculous degree, then it only seems plausible to me that other body parts can have ultra versions of themselves somewhere out there. Then of course everything on the spectrum between what we have now and that ultra version makes sense.

I read an article somewhere about the chix smelling mates thing. I think the pill suppresses it.

3. My nose isn't bad.. but I know everyone is different. It's weird, I am a smoker and I feel like I can smell better than most people.. including nonsmokers. I use my nose a lot actually.. makes for a good tracking of a scent. Obviously nowhere near as good as a dogs.. but I'd say our noses are right where they're supposed to be. I also feel like I am more in tune with my subconscious.. and you get a lot of subconscious information from smells. Like with the women thing.. both men and women can smell pheromones. They don't have that noticeable of a smell, but they're there nonetheless. It's like with dogs and other animals.. they can smell certain physical traits in the piss or shit of another animal of their species. It's subconscious information that was built up through evolution. I am sure that if we evolved with better noses.. we would of been more in tune with out species smells, but our noses weren't a key point in our survival. Our key traits that sealed our survival were our opposable thumbs and then our intelligence.. we probably would've survived just the same without noses. Well.. not exactly the same.. but close enough.

Sometimes though.. having a good sense of smell sucks. Like I can almost always smell period. Especially if I use the bathroom at work after a girl.. there is period in the air. Most other people can't seem to smell it.. but it's like it stands out for my nose :(

4. I have little to no sense of smell.

Now granted i am smoking fags for over 30yrs and worked my nose hard on undesirables for years so it doesn't take Einstein to work out what has caused the problem.

One interesting side affect of ceasing to use my nose as a vacuum cleaner is that my nose hair now grows at a ridiculous rate. I have to trim it with a nose trimmer once a week or it starts to get fugly.

Typed in the cockpit of a runaway Boeing

5. I would say a dog's sense of smell comes close to what you're describing. I'm sure there are people here with experience with K-9 units can confirm lol.

I remember when I was little we had cops all over neighborhood one night, searching for a guy, I think an attempted murder suspect that was on the run. They knocked on our door and asked my parents if they could go through our house to get to the backyard. Before the police dog came through the house (made a b-line for the back-door on command, without so much as taking a look at anything in the house, was actually kind of impressive), we closed our own dog in another room so he wouldn't interfere. When the police dog was gone and we let ours out, he spent the better part of an hour sniffing back and forth through the house, from the front door to the back door, exactly along the path that the k-9 took.

6. #6 killset, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2016
    Some people just don't smell well and it can worsen as you get older.
    Sent from my XT1028 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. if you have ever been out in the wilderness, you can most certainly use your sense of smell

🐜

8. I recall getting out of the hospital after asthma almost killed me, having been taking nebulizer treatments and oxygen in my nose. We went out to a nature preserve and I couldn't believe all the smells I could smell.

9. im mostly deaf I think some of my other senses are more enhanced as a result

10. my mom is deaf in 1 ear. She has incredible sense of smell.

I have a dulling sense of smell, guessing age?

11. You don't actually believe that they wanted to have a police dog go through your house just to get to the backyard do you?

12. If you think your nose hair is growing faster because of the shit you've put in it, how do you explain why the hair in your ears has started growing faster?

13. Do grow a nose beard

14. I don't know there's been enough time since we relied on our smell for survival to have lost much of our ability. I'm guessing our brains have more to do with any loss of smell than our nose because now we ignore smells that may have been important in the past. I bet we've actually lost skill instead of acuity and we could train ourselves to smell better but not as good as if we started training our noses during childhood.

15. Humans are far more visually oriented than anything else. The amount of brain cells dedicated to visual processing dwarfs those used for olfactory function.

16. I wish i had a nose

-Sent from Zeta Reticuli starsystem-

17. Even without a nose you still smell. What you need are ears and some protein shakes.

18. It hasn't. Not yet anyway. That is yet to come.

Although i must say I do trim the eyebrows with a little scissors. With mixed results.

Typed in the cockpit of a runaway Boeing

19. i dont require ears, my species communicates telepathically

-Sent from Zeta Reticuli starsystem-

20. My nose is so good it's sometimes unbearable.